Towing trailer questions

G lady

M & L Van de
We have an '03 high top, long wheelbase w 155,+ miles. We bought it new in '03. We are planning to tow an enclosed trailer 8' x 6' I think, its about 6 years old. We had the reciever hitch installed after market some time ago. What is the towing capacity?
We need to replace shocks, but want a comfortable ride, any recommendations? We still need to hook up lights etc. What do we need to know before we pick up the trailer....???

I saw something about someone pulled over in VA, what is that all about?:thinking:
We hope to pull this from FL into the northeast, midwest and maybe as far as the Rockies. Lots of working trips.:thumbup:
Still love our Sprinter (over 5 years)

Since nobody has stepped up I'll give what I have.

I'm quite certain the 2003 2500 trailer towing capacity is 5000#.

Can't answer for shocks. My 2004 2500 180,000 mi. with OEM type shocks tows my 3000# sailboat rig fine for me.

Lights, etc. There is an OEM trailer harness that communicates with the Sprinter computer to let it know that a trailer is connected. It is fairly expensive and a bit of a project to install, but many recommend that route because it keeps the stability programs working. Whatever is done, do not let anyone just wire into the light circuits. The computer will not like that at all. For just lights and brakes a trailer light control module and conventional brake controller can be installed. I personnally went with a light control module.

I suggest you do a search using "trailer lights" and "towing" or "tow". This has been discussed in many places.

Please post the details of your VA comment. It is news to me. Hope this helps. AP

We have an '03 high top, long wheelbase w 155,+ miles. We bought it new in '03. We are planning to tow an enclosed trailer 8' x 6' I think, its about 6 years old. We had the reciever hitch installed after market some time ago. What is the towing capacity?
We need to replace shocks, but want a comfortable ride, any recommendations? We still need to hook up lights etc. What do we need to know before we pick up the trailer....???

I saw something about someone pulled over in VA, what is that all about?:thinking:
We hope to pull this from FL into the northeast, midwest and maybe as far as the Rockies. Lots of working trips.:thumbup:
Still love our Sprinter (over 5 years)

There is an OEM trailer harness that communicates with the Sprinter computer to let it know that a trailer is connected.

Please post the details of your VA comment. It is news to me. Hope this helps. AP
In case anyone stumbles upon this thread in the future, I was wrong. To date the Sprinter OEM trailer harness does not communicate.

More details are here:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7328

famof8

Famof8 + 1 = Famof9!
The post I think you are referring to is the one where the ePowerMarine owner was pulled over in the Northern VA/DC area while on a national parkway.

As long as you have proper registration, lights, tow chains, etc. you will be fine. I pull a 30' travel trailer with my Sprinter and have had zero problems so far. I suspect it is much heavier than your 8x6 cargo trailer. :laughing:

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

I pull a 6x12, GVW about 3500 #. My milage has dropped about 3 mpg to 17 mpg. But I usually drive 55-60 MPH, except downhill. Coasting downhill I may reach 70 MPH. After I moved some equipment, my tongue weight was 350 # and the trailer handles OK. A tongue weight of 10-12 % of GVW is recommended. I may still have air bags installed. My brakes are at 60% lining remaining after the last brake job 50,000 miles ago.

If you get a camera for the trailer, DO NOT get a Boyo brand. The camera image rolls, is dim, is snowy and is useless. I got beat out of $300.00 + installation on that purchase. Absolutly no customer service from Crutchfield or Boyo. I will replace it with the same camera that truckers use.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
We need to replace shocks, but want a comfortable ride, any recommendations? We still need to hook up lights etc...............
Well you don't say whether it's a 2500 or a 3500 but it does not matter as either one will haul that trailer with no issues. As for the ride, some weight in the trailer is only going to improve it. Shocks? Bilstein, Koni.

another thread here with wiring info.

When you're up in the North East, swing in and say hello:smilewink:!

skye12

In response to the post about being pulled over in DC/Va . Its possible the driver was on one of the parkways . They prohibit comercial vehicles on them . I drove ambulances in the metreo areas for years & even we had troble from time to time driving Ford E350 . As long as its a camper or private use you should be allright . But it would be up the officer who pulls you over . Those would be US Park police & federal fines run a bit higher then state or local . If you have signage or weighted plates I'd avoid the parkways .

Mike Horton

We have 3 Sprinters that have been wired by the hitch people. I know they cut into the wires and we have had no issues as of yet. Oldest is going on 8 years now.P1160012.JPG

PC210013.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_3190.JPG Although not the strongest puller, most Sprinters can handle 5000 GVW trailer with ease. It wont even know your little trailer is back there!

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02

...Although not the strongest puller, most Sprinters can handle 5000 GVW trailer with ease. It wont even know your little trailer is back there!
Hey Mike, is that photo shop? You loaded a Sprinter onto a U-Haul trailer :eek:??
For one, I'm surprised it fit, for two, I'm surprised it held the weight!..This is good to know:smirk:

Mike Horton

PC210011.JPG
It almost didn't fit. Luckily the trailer came with these handy trailer extenders!:smirk: Believe it or not when you arrive at your destination you just put the Sprinter in drive and the extenders become handy ramps! :shhh: not U-Haul approved. BTW GVW being pulled had to be around 7500 # We pulled it 15 miles all under 35 in 3rd and 4th gear. Trip went well. Your right though...it really wont fit....safely that is.

punter

In Europe, the 3500 is rated for 3.5 tons towing, although that may just be this year.

Whether that means the USA version can do that as well but is just rated at 2.5 tons, I do not know.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
.....Luckily the trailer came with these handy trailer extenders!:smirk:
Classic:laughing: and about that blue strap...I hope that wasn't an attempt to hold the van in place, or was it intended to keep the ramp in:smilewink:?

....Believe it or not when you arrive at your destination you just put the Sprinter in drive...
Drive? You drove off forward?
Did you hear the sigh of relief from the trailer after unloading haha??

Mike Horton

Scott, the blue straps were to hold the "ramps" in place so that they would not slide back.

My joke about putting Sprinter in drive....If the Sprinter had rolled back 1/2 inch onto the ramps, I would have put it in drive and the rear wheels would have pushed the ramps outward! Then I could put it in reverse and back off. That was the plan if it had moved back....fortunately it held in place and I didn't have to test that wacky plan. Not the ideal situation, but we made it work. The Sprinter was too big and the trailer was too small. Anything more than a short slow trip would have been out of the question.

Hint.......if you do this and tell U-Haul what you want to tow....they won't let you. Our little 3500 weighs 4995 #. Just a little over what they want on that trailer.

Top Bottom