Good speakers for cargo van?

72chevy4x4

the stock system may be 'tuned' to the precise specs of the stock speakers...if so by replacing with something different the bass repsonse may not be as good as OE. A little stuffing/insulation may aid in increasing the bass, not sure what the stock locations look like.

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
I will be getting Kenwood DDX616 with my new van (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX616/Kenwood-DDX616.html?tp=20220) and was wondering what would be decent speakers to go with it. Or it's even possible that stock speakers will be fine, I never turn up the music too much anyway. Comments?
There are 13 speakers in a passenger van.

Not sure where you are or if this helps, but if you come pick them up 90232, I will give you the 12 factory speakers from my passenger van upgrade.

I used (12) alpine speakers, spr 13s front and 2 sets sps600c in back with sound 5 and an ipod cable, bought them from ikesound. Pretty good results for the money.

ircsmith

Squid
I put in a JVC very similar to the Kenwood you have picked out. I tried it with the stock speakers but was no happy at all. I started by replacing the ones in the doors. I put in some infinity 6". they fit in the holes fine but I had to drill mounting holes because the stock units only use three fasteners while the infinitys use four. not a big deal. I cut the stock speakers out of the mounting ring because I liked the way it bridged the gap between the speakers and the door panel. having the three mounting holes turned out the be good thing because the ring I was left with mounted over the infinitys very well. I had to trim one spot for a flush fit but the rings are made from a fiber reinforced ABS and are very easy to cut with a utility knife. but this still was not enough. I then picked up the matching infinity 3" to go into the dash. dumb..dumb...dumb....the "speakers" that come stock up under those three huge grills are worthless. the two at either end of the dash are about the size of a quarter and if you hold them up to your ear can just make out a faint noise coming from them. the "center" speaker is a little better. thinking I would have lots of room to fit these 3" speakers was a pipe dream. I did get them in eventually and plan to do a write up on how I did it. so for now lets say the 3" are out of the picture. I then wanted some behind me. I picked up a set of stock panels from a passenger van that had the speaker cutouts. I put a pair of these in http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10476_Clarion+CMCS7.1.html. they fit but needed power. I put an amp under the passenger seat. finally I added a 10" sub with another amp that went under the passenger seat. overkill I know but I was having fun. the hardest part of all this was running the wire for the sliding door. the black step had to come out to get it in the chain guide. stringing it through the guide was not much fun.

punter

The problem with answering this question is that everyone has a different ideal sound and so there is no best.

Answering this question merely communicates your own personal preference.

NBB

The first question to ask is - how loud do you want it to be?

The stock speakers will sound just great at a very low power and no background noise - ie, when your van is parked.

At the other end, if you buy top of the line speakers with giant magnets, you better get a giant amp, too, or they will sound just as crappy as the stock speakers when you turn up the volume.

That said, I think stock might be somewhere between okay and overpowered for the amp built into that head unit - probably ~15-20 watts advertized as 50. You probably have a bigger amp than stock, therefore the speakers will likely sound better, but you will quickly loose sound quality as you turn up the volume - along with poor base response. You need a big heavy speaker to get bass and a big amp to drive it - ie, the speaker has to move a large distance very quickly and that requires a stiff, heavy cone and lot of power. Stock speakers are very, very light. Check it out for yourself.

If you want to hear the radio and have it sound good while driving on the highway, stock probably isn't loud enough. Just not enough power there to overcome the noise.

Last edited:

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
I'm no audiophile, I just wanted better sound quality in my cargo 2500 without spending a ton of money. I thought that the stock speakers were pretty weak and lacked sufficient bass range.

I replaced the stock door speakers with Kicker 2-way speakers, added a 10" Kicker sub-woofer and BOSS amplifier. I kept the stock head unit (with ipod cable) and in-dash speakers. The sound quality is much improved and I can crank up the volume pretty high and not hear any noticeable distortion. I'm pretty satisfied with these changes. I think biggest bang for the buck comes with better speakers.

ircsmith

Squid
Duke has it. the speakers are weak. at least change the door speakers.

also not to hijack this thread but Duke you have no email option and I want to ask how the lizard spray is holding up and if you DIY or had someone in san jose do it. I want to have the lower part of the van done.

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
Duke has it. the speakers are weak. at least change the door speakers.

also not to hijack this thread but Duke you have no email option and I want to ask how the lizard spray is holding up and if you DIY or had someone in san jose do it. I want to have the lower part of the van done.
Email enabled... the Lizardskin is holding up pretty well. I had it applied in Morgan Hill by an auto body painter, Scott Orlando (408) 612-1031

Last edited:

lukfilm

I'm no audiophile, I just wanted better sound quality in my cargo 2500 without spending a ton of money. I thought that the stock speakers were pretty weak and lacked sufficient bass range.

I replaced the stock door speakers with Kicker 2-way speakers, added a 10" Kicker sub-woofer and BOSS amplifier. I kept the stock head unit (with ipod cable) and in-dash speakers. The sound quality is much improved and I can crank up the volume pretty high and not hear any noticeable distortion. I'm pretty satisfied with these changes. I think biggest bang for the buck comes with better speakers.
Thanks. Which one of these did you get? http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All-Car-Speakers.html?tp=105&nvpair=FFBrand|Kicker

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
Thanks. Which one of these did you get? http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All-Car-Speakers.html?tp=105&nvpair=FFBrand|Kicker
Kicker DS5250 5-1/4" speakers in the door and a Kicker 10" Sub with a Boss 2ch 400w amp. The door speakers by themselves didn't provide enough bass so I also added the subwoofer/amp.

lukfilm

Kicker DS5250 5-1/4" speakers in the door and a Kicker 10" Sub with a Boss 2ch 400w amp. The door speakers by themselves didn't provide enough bass so I also added the subwoofer/amp.
Thanks, I'll get those, looks like good bang for the buck. Stupid question - is the price on the website for 1 speaker or a pair?

Top Bottom