Make your kitchen mushroom vent open and close

Zach Woods

Hello -

It is possible to make the kitchen mushroom vent openable and closeable by using the disk shaped center portion as a handle.

The following includes pictures and description of my project to make my vent open and close. All disclaimers apply, your mileage may vary, etc.

This is a fairly straightforward project that can be completed in 30 minutes or less with very standard and basic tools (medium phillips head screwdriver, medium flat head screwdriver).

First, here is the vent as seen from the outside (looking towards the back of the vehicle out of the center skylight):
tn_PICT0051.jpg

Next I started unscrewing the screws that hold the vent in place (found inside the vehicle directly above the back of the "pantry" cabinet):
tn_PICT0050.jpg

Look! I've got another skylight!
tn_PICT0047.jpg

Then I unscrewed the external/ mushroom cap shaped cover from the vent:
tn_PICT0046.jpg

A rolling Westfalia will gather some moss . . .
tn_PICT0048.jpg

Next I unscrewed the "trapdoor" from the vent:
tn_PICT0045.jpg

Then I carefully pried the circlip (metal clip in image) off the handle shaft (center of vent) and kept it in case I ever wanted to install it again:
tn_PICT0043.jpg

Re-assembly is the reverse of the above. It is likely important that the screws that hold the interior and exterior portions of the vent together not be torqued down too tight. Tightening them too much may just force the outer and inner walls of the high roof together which could lead to premature wear or damage.

Make certain that you orient the vent with the non-screen tetrahedron shape towards the rear and the screw opposite toward the front of the vehicle. Otherwise you will get water entering the vehicle when driving in rainy conditions.
tn_PICT0052.jpg

Now I can open or close my vent depending on my needs (ie to keep bugs out or heat in). The handle will rotate into a position that looks the vent closed.

Note that the vent does not close up airtight (this may be a good thing) and I may in future look into putting some stick on insulation on the "trapdoor" at the point where it meets the circular vent opening to solve this.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mogul2us

Neat! I am told it is intended to be open all the time, which seems like a good idea, but I was still interested in closing it for winter storage. Anyway, I discovered today that you really only need to take off the top part and the internal mushroom-type cover to remove the clip that holds it open.

mogul2us

Zach Woods

Hello Mogul2Us -

Thinking about the mushroom vent's construction and function, you are correct. You could remove the clip simply by unscrewing the three screws that hold the "cap" of the mushroom on, and then unscrewing the one screw that holds the "trapdoor" in place. You would then have access to the clip to remove it.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Good tip by Mogul for reduced disassembly. When I get around to it, I may do this fix versus stuffing plastic bags into the area (especially in mosquito areas).

sassyinpink

didn't realise it can be closed actually. thanks for the heads up.
won't it lose a lot of heat in the colder weather.

and yeah bugs too in the spring

Kiltym

Here's another solution to kitchen vent letting in mosquitoes and draft. Since my kids are no longer playing with the 3d printer it's now my toy.
I suspect this vent is a safety feature so I would not recommend plugging the vent while operating heater or stove.
Here's a link to the drawings and stl files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4792337
Just FYI, the link does not seem to work. Great job on this. Some screen on this vent would have saved us some itchy nights :).

Bernd Pfrommer

Just FYI, the link does not seem to work. Great job on this. Some screen on this vent would have saved us some itchy nights :).
Thanks. I had not "published" the objects yet on thingiverse so the link was private and just worked for me because I was logged in to thingiverse. Should work now.

Top Bottom