Prices and sources for used Sprinter vans

1. I have been in the market for some time trying to buy a used sprinter albeit with no success. I was hoping that someone would enlighten me on used Sprinter van prices. They seem to be all over the place. I cannot find a legitimate source for used prices. Please help me.

2. It is also very difficult to locate used Sprinters for sale. Ebay is one source but the bidding never ever reaches past the reserve price. It appears that sellers are always asking more than what buyers are will to pay on the open ebay market. Are there other sources that have many used Sprinters listed for sale?

3. My brother-in-law works for Diamler Chrysler and can get an employee discount for me (I believe it is 2.5% below invoice). I am interested in a base 140" wagon with no options (to keep price low as possible). Does anyone know of a dealer who could sell me such an animal?

4. Given that I might buy a new Sprinter van, when would be the best time to buy it? Is it worth it to wait and buy the remodeled 2007 or will the 2006 be available for a good (better, never good) price once the 2007 hit the showroom?

Thanks in response to those who know much more than I do about these great vans.

Regards.;)

L

Llarry

I'm certainly no expert, but I think you are seeing a couple of things:

-- Despite the Sprinter's success in the marketplace, the numbers of vehicles are not that large compared to almost everything else out there.

-- I've never bought or sold a vehicle on eBay, but have heard that the number of auctions that end with a purchase is small overall. Almost all eBay auction vehicles are for sale somewhere else as well. Many vehicles sell after the auction, with initial contact being established through eBay. (Sounds like cheating on eBay terms of use, but perhaps in an attempt to minimize eBay fees.)

-- I would think you would have to order a bare bones van and you can no longer order an '06. A good dealer salesperson should be able to search for a minimally-optioned '06 that is out there somewhere, I suppose. By wagon I assume you mean a passenger model, which is much rarer than the cargo variant. I think www.dodge.com has a means to search dealer stock, but that could be a quite time-consuming process.

-- We don't know specs or prices on the '07s yet. My suspicion is that they will have a fair amount of additional standard equipment and be significantly more expensive. We should know more within the next couple of months, I hope.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
1. I have been in the market for some time trying to buy a used sprinter albeit with no success. I was hoping that someone would enlighten me on used Sprinter van prices. They seem to be all over the place. I cannot find a legitimate source for used prices. Please help me.
I don't have extensive experience because we bought new due to the features that we wanted. The Sprinter does have good resale value so it'll be hard to find something deep discounted.

2. It is also very difficult to locate used Sprinters for sale. Ebay is one source but the bidding never ever reaches past the reserve price. It appears that sellers are always asking more than what buyers are will to pay on the open ebay market. Are there other sources that have many used Sprinters listed for sale?;)
A deal pops up once in awhile, but they usually attract a lot of bidders.

3. My brother-in-law works for Diamler Chrysler and can get an employee discount for me (I believe it is 2.5% below invoice). I am interested in a base 140" wagon with no options (to keep price low as possible). Does anyone know of a dealer who could sell me such an animal?;)
If you're on Ebay, I'm sure you can find dealers selling their brand new or used Sprinters. Roanoke (sp?) comes to my mind. I've seen them post their Sprinters for sale, however, you'll probably have to travel to get it.

4. Given that I might buy a new Sprinter van, when would be the best time to buy it? Is it worth it to wait and buy the remodeled 2007 or will the 2006 be available for a good (better, never good) price once the 2007 hit the showroom?;)
Yesterday. ;) We ordered our '06 140 in Oct '05 $300 over invoice. When we finally got it, 6 months later, the fleet manager notified us that the prices went up another $300-$400.

I couldn't tell you what the prices would be like for the '06's when the '07's come out. If you're not in a hurry, I would just continue looking for a nice used one while waiting for the '07's to come out. Maybe you'll get the '07 instead.

Good luck. I know. Not much help. :D

Seek

Thanks for your observations but I am still baffled over pricing. If someone finds a legit (e.g., NADA, Kellys, etc.) source, please let me know. Most sources don't even list sprinters due to low volumes and not enough sales info.

Regards.

michigandon

Hi MYLED! I too was bemused at the fact that these trucks are not listed in NADA or KBB. I do know that we looked all around at several and finally had to Amtrak to Virginia and drive ours back home from there. There are NO pre-owned units to be had around this part of the country. If you do find one, it's been rode hard, put away wet, and priced about $2-3K more than what we paid for ours!

The real fun came when I went to the Secretary of State to get it registered. The local branch office had NO info on these trucks at all, so they had to call the main office @ the Capitol, who told them to register it using a Bill of Sale! :eek:

dronsin

West coast prices are high, shortage and demand by greens.
Blue book does not have any used prices, not enough data, but Edmunds does.
They are well below the market on the west coast though.

I shopped craigs list locally, bough an 05 with 6k miles for about 80%of list. just under 30k long tall no windows.

Good luck

anomaly

Thanks for your observations but I am still baffled over pricing. If someone finds a legit (e.g., NADA, Kellys, etc.) source, please let me know. Most sources don't even list sprinters due to low volumes and not enough sales info.

Regards.
Check http://www.edmunds.com

They've got good pricing information on the Sprinter vans. (I'm sure it's too late for you now, but others may want this info. :)

Top Bottom