How did this happen?

scubanw3

These springs are not inverted by damage. This is there normal configuration. Believe it or not, this is the HD rear suspension used by Winnebago. This chassis is rated at 11,030 pounds. This a 2 spring pack with a 1.75” spacer block between the lower spring and the axle perch. The other NA 3500 spring configuration is the 3 spring pack with the more traditional looking arched parabolic springs. It is used on either the van or the cab chassis. The 2 spring pack is only used on the cab chassis and almost exclusively on the Class C Motorhomes. We have a complete line of spring assist kits, sway bars, HD adjustable shocks and air bag kits specifically designed for the cab chassis 2 or 3 spring suspension. Hope this info helps.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

IslandGuy

UPDATE:
I ended up giving this to my insurance company. I provided all the pictures and they came back and asked where I wanted to get it repaired. I called around and there is a Dodge Dealer in Bellingham, WA that said he could do the work. Bellevue Dodge and a few others never really responded to me...sigh....so we took a drive up, 80 miles one way, dropped off the MH and they had it repaired within a week. Replaced the spring pack, they had to remove the generator to get at some bolts. Final cost was $1,325.00. I have a $500.00 deductible...so end of story. Unfortunate situation...for me....since the mechanic, and a few others I had look at it believe the damage came from an errant lift or jack placement. The real cost to me was significantly higher due to mileage drive in my Motorhome and my car plus my wife had to take time off from work to drive up to Bellingham. Anyway I am pretty unhappy how Winnebago handled this situation. The least they should have done is to have the MH inspected at a delaership to get their take on what might have happened...instead some bozo Director looked at some pictures that I took and made the decision it had to be caused by the consumer...me...

Sorry for the long winded post! Thanks to all who took the time to read and add their input.

Jim

UPDATE:

Sorry for the long winded post! Thanks to all who took the time to read and add their input.

Jim
Jim,
Not long winded at all.

I'm certain this doesn't really help, but I guess it could have been much worse. Too bad the builder didn't help at all. If it doesn't prolong your pain, you might consider sending them a letter outlining what you went through and see if they'll reconsider and at least help with your deductible loss. Don't be too surprised if they don't respond though. For that reason it may not be worth the aggravation of following up with them.

Thanks for the follow up. It's always nice to know the outcome. Not all originators bother to write up the resolution, or lack of it. AP/vic

JY Appliance

My 08 dodge 3500 dulie long body hightop van(not a camper) truck stop scale weighed it at 8235lbs Its loaded all the time (shelfs and tools and parts.)no driver 1/2 tank fuel. It has 3 leefs and sway bar. Rubber at ends between upper and lower leef. all leafs are comperssed or touching eachother. My factory tires ,contentals, woreout with 30k miles.they were showing ware at 5k and I started rotating them untill they were all neer bald. Ive got 10k on hankooks now and they still look good in front, I,ll rotate them back when the weather warms up. I dident want to go jap or china korea tires but thats all they seem to have in stock in that size. factory tires I think were made in check republic. (we make nothing in USA any more, thats why no recovery!)
Oh ya, mercadies dealer neer here(rt22 union NJ) now has the sprinters on there lot. No more dodge dealer. They said they will service my dodge sprinter over night if I want. Drop it off and the mec will work on it over night !!! 24hr service. They did not say what the labor rate is yet. they were just seting up for the trucks. Just installing big lifts in the service bays.

Dan Holm

As a fellow View owner, I suggest you write your selling dealer and Winnebago to explain your feelings. They can't afford unhappy customers. Further, go though the unit and pick apart every detail that may be considered a problem. Make an ongoing list and bring it to the Winnebago dealer just before the warranty ends, as the hammer falls at 15K miles and one year for the non-chassis portion. I know from experience that they wash their hands at 15,001 miles.

Sort it out and have fun. We love ours and have covered close to 30K miles.

IslandGuy

Dan,
I had many conversations with Ron Lichtsinn about this (Lichtsinn.com) and he fwd my pictures to somebody at Winnebago who handles the warranty issues. Winnebago said it must have been road debris that caused the damage. I thought that was quite short-sighted of them I would expect at least a directive to bring the MH to a Winnebago dealer and have them look at it. As several independent mechanics who have looked at this told me this was not caused by road debris...there is no other damage except for the spring mount. If I had hit some big rock there would have been other damage to the undercarriage...at least some scrapes...nothing at all. So Lichtsinn knows I am very unhappy about this. So there you have it. If there is a next time in buying a MH I will go into it with my "eyes wide open"! End of story :bash:

Thanks,
Jim

kmessinger

Can you jack up the rear of a Sprinter using the trailer hitch as a lift point? It is easy than getting to a lift point.

Regards,

Keith

scubanw3

You could get away lifting a lightly loaded 2500 at the hitch; a 3500 is getting marginal but a Class C motorhome, no way. It could severely compromise the rear section of the coach. The last 4’ of the coach chassis frame rail is a relatively light duty steel extension just bolted to the Sprinters chassis. Hope this helps.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

IslandGuy

UPDATE

Well I received a phone call yesterday (Friday) from the dealer I purchased my Winnebago View from (Ron Lichtsinn). He was meeting with Winnebago and asked me to send him the invoice from the Dodge dealer where I got the View repaired and any insurance documents I had. He was going to make another run at Winnebago to see if they would at least pick up my $500 deductible. A few hrs after I sent off the documents I received an email from Ron stating that a check for $500 was in the mail to me. So everything finally worked out. But one thing I learned...check everything before leaving the dealer's lot...and I mean crawl under the vehicle and make sure nothing has been damaged!

Jim

Top Bottom