Lower gear ratio in rear end?

bikerjoe

Hi, my truck is working well, but the bed I built is a bit heavier than I anticipated,:idunno: so the truck tends to bog down on long grades. Can I get a lower gear ratio for the rear end, and if so, what other changes must I do? I have a 2004 Sprinter 2500 140"w/b. I have been thinking about adding an over/underdrive gearbox but that seems extreme. Any suggestions?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
... the truck tends to bog down on long grades. Can I get a lower gear ratio for the rear end, and if so, what other changes must I do? I have a 2004 Sprinter 2500 140"w/b.

I have been thinking about adding an over/underdrive gearbox but that seems extreme. Any suggestions?
Dana doesn't appear to make an aftermarket rear end for the Sprinter (T1N or NCV3). I can't think of another aftermarket provider at the moment... You could contact them to find out first hand: www.dana.com.

There were two sales codes for rear ratio: DME and DMF, according to the 2004 parts catalog. DME references a 3.72 ratio, DMF a 4.11. If you bought DME, there was a manufacturer-produced alternative. If you bought DMF, I think you're running the most appropriate factory-available axle for your application.

You might contact John at Upscale Automotive (http://www.upscaleauto.com/About Us.htm) and ask if this

http://www.upscaleauto.com/diesel_power_module.htm

might make a difference for you.

-Jon

Last edited:

bikerjoe

Hmmm... Well, I'll call Dodge and see if they can tell me which I have installed. I bought the 150-amp alternator and kept it on a shelf for a few months before swapping it out with the original .. a 150-amp alternator! Yep! After fighting to remove the alternator without removing everything you are supposed to remove prior to REMOVING the alternator, I discovered that my Sprinter CAME WITH the 150-amp alternator!

So, I put the new one in anyway, and the original sits on my shelf with 52,000 miles on it, awaiting failure of my NEW unit. At least I won't have to wait for a replacement, if and when the new one fails!

Anyway, I called the dealer and gave them my VIN number, and he said "Your vehicle is equipped with the 150-amp alternator..." DUH! One single phone call could have saved me the hour plus of labor swapping out an identical alternator, AND it would have saved me the $289.00 (I think) I paid for the replacement, thinking I was upgrading the power system.

So I figure that he will ALSO be able to tell me what gear ratio my truck has, the DME or DMF. Perhaps THIS time I won't be a DMF and buy something I already have! LOL!

Toyman

OR, next time you visit the dealer get him to print out ALL of the "options" your van has. I believe it is called a VIP report.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Thank you, sir! I'll do that!
Every vehicle - in which I've bothered to look - has had a "factory" sticker of options built somewhere in it.

In my GM cargo van, it's stuck to the back of the glove box in the center console. It's a piece of paper glued onto the glove box housing's back... dot-matrix printer-like writing is worn, but I can still read the transmission and engine codes as well as the other non-standard items.

Is this not the case for Sprinters? There's no sticker with a build list written for technical reference?

-Jon

sikwan

06 Tin Can
So I figure that he will ALSO be able to tell me what gear ratio my truck has, the DME or DMF. Perhaps THIS time I won't be a DMF and buy something I already have! LOL!
Ok, I know this might be harder than going to the dealer, but you can always crawl underneath your Sprinter and find this...

Top of the label: i = 41T (ring gear) - 11T (pinion gear). 41/11 = 3.727 rear end ratio.

:smirk:

BMA

So, I put the new one in anyway, and the original sits on my shelf with 52,000 miles on it, awaiting failure of my NEW unit. At least I won't have to wait for a replacement, if and when the new one fails!
Now you'll be 500 miles from home when it dies... :D

On a side note, I wonder if there is a kit to add a second alternator? I kind of remember it as a build option.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
There is a 200 amp for sprinters on the Euro side an option for emergency vehicles etc
I 'm not sure how far you altered the magic rebuild, potentially your out side of its limits The standard diff for axle drive is for 1.7 to 3.5 t vehicles options of ratios are based on the engine for front and rear axles weights, spings ans stabilzer bars etc.
Richard
jgyug.jpg

ert.jpg

17 32.jpg

Top Bottom