Sprinter diagnostics is here!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
One of my most painful frustrations as Doktor A, is fielding those desperate phone calls from disabled or limp home mode crippled Sprinter owners, stranded out in the middle of nowhere. Or WORSE, stranded at the DEALERSHIP.

Stranded without accurate, on-site, quality diagnostic data. Frustration for me, panic for the owner.

As Doktor A, I can provide basic diagnostic phone advice but I just know that IF I could be there, in person, with my pearl handled DRBIII diagnostic tool in holster, I could rescue them and then ride off into the sunset.

Well, my dream, and yours, is now possible. And best of all, you will likely be able to rescue yourself. Your wife will utter those magic words you've long fantasized hearing- "My Hero".

Until now, Sprinter diagnostics was essentially an ALL OR NOTHING proposition.

For instance, as a Sprinter specific diagnostic tool, on a scale of 1 to 10, most generic scan tools (including the, useful as an auxiliary Gauge, ScanGaugeII), rate only a measly 1. The factory DRBIII deserves a 10. The $10,000 Snap-On Modis is perhaps a 5 and that's generous.

Now EVERY Sprinter owner can own an affordable Sprinter specific tool that rates a solid 7.

What is this timely Godsend to merely mortal Sprinter owners?

This is a laptop based software with a German made, Sprinter specific, multiplex cable/black box which was deployed in maintenance depots of one of the worlds largest corporations.

They paid $2000 a piece for these Sprinter diagnostic packages. They recently ordered a system which covers newer vehicles in their fleet. These are the contractual trade-ins. Technically, surplus. AFFORDABLE surplus. Expect some scratches and scars on the black boxes but they are guaranteed to be fully functional. Factory service is no longer available from Germany but I will try to keep some as emergency spares, if needed.

Hand sorted, tested, and with new simplified software on a new CD for ('02-'06 ONLY) Sprinter owners and shops, it is available to Sprinter-forum group members first, exclusively!, for a limited time and in limited quantities.

I affectionately call it DAD (Doktor A Diagnostician). The software writer officially named it Super Sprinter Diagnostic System. You can call it what you like but you'll agree it's an amazing breakthrough in price and Sprinter information access.

The DAD can quick scan AND communicate with EVERY module in your Sprinter.

Engine module, Transmission module, Shifter module, ABS/ESP module, SKREEM (immobilizer) module, Climate Control module, Instrument Cluster, Heater booster/Aux Heater, Central Timer module (remote door locks), Airbag/seat belt module and more.

It provides FACTORY fault codes WITH DESCRIPTION and in most cases snap-shot data showing various parameters at fault set-time. None of that generic "look it up on a long list" scheisse!

It provides real time sensor outputs.

It provides system tests for diagnostic work YOU can perform from the comfort of your cab. Imagine performing a compression test or testing your injectors while sipping coffee in the drivers seat.

Depending on 612/647 version, it can even help flush brakes.

Coding of replacement injectors.

Module replacement.

I can list pages of features but it thankfully includes a complete 137 page users manual on the CD in pdf format. A users manual full of Sprinter information found nowhere else.

Also included are simple, written software installation instructions and installation software and aids on the CD.

You will need a laptop. The Sprinter black box/cable requires a laptop connection to a 9 pin Serial port (RS-232). Most professional automotive diagnostics requires this port. If you don't have this serial port you can use a USB adapter, the IT guru has tested and approved one in particular, the Keyspan USA-19HS. I can provide these at a deep discount if you need one. Let me know when ordering your DAD.

The Sprinter end of this cable is a standardized OBDII connector that will connect to your Sprinter's Data Link Connector (DLC), located above the hood release lever.

The system was designed to be used with Windows XP, but the IT guru tells me it will work with most others, both older (Windows 2000, and 98) and the newer Vista and Windows 7 (but NOT in their virtual XP mode).

The Bottom Line?

If I may do my Billy Mays imitation, NOT $1000. NOT $800. NOT $600, not even $500.

The special, group, inner circle, price is $299 plus shipping and insurance.

This system will work on ALL WORLD WIDE SPRINTER models (pre-'07). Overseas Sprinter owners can obtain a inexpensive OBDII to MBenz circular socket diagnostic adapter. The Snap-on or Sun branded adapter cables are available in Europe at a VERY reasonable price.,

To order, please e-mail me at abittenbinder@yahoo.com and I will provide payment total and payment instructions. Please be patient. I will respond within a day or two.

Please include your Sprinter's model year and let me know if you want a Paypal invoice and grand total or if you need my mailing address and grand total for money order payment.

Sorry, I am not able to process credit cards. Paypal or Postal Money Orders, only.

Also, please let me know if you want me to include the Keyspan USB adapter.

RV owners-this tool covers all 5 cylinder (OM612 and OM647) Sprinters (and for you Euro owners, I believe the OM611 4 cylinder as well). Your '07 model year Sprinter RV may be on a '06 chassis/drivetrain with the 5 cyl engine.

Payment via PAYPAL or US Postal Money Order only, please. Canadians-your postal system offers a US export money order paid in US Dollars, which is acceptable but Paypal is always preferred.

All shipping (domestic, Canadian and international) will be via affordable USPS priority mail w/insurance.

Limit, one per customer, and I reserve right to refuse sale to owners and technicians in my immediate geographic area. A man has to eat. DAD is that good.

I envision a group within our group of owners sharing info on application and helping others with questions related to laptop use and installation questions, etc. I also envision owners sharing their system tests data and other Sprinter related DAD info.

I am not an IT engineer, my expertise is with the vehicle. Please do not ask me IT related questions.

Keep the Sprinter Faith and Happy New Year!

Doktor A

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I, and others on the forum can handle IT questions. If you're more than 2 a hours' drive away, from me, it's free as time allows.

If you're less than 2 hours away, it's in person - as time allows - and my fee is garlic bread: Sourdough, with real, artery-clogging butter and any handy spices.

Ok, actually,I don't even care if it's store bought in tin-foil.

Oh, do not wait until you need it.

Get it set up and working well-before you're in crisis.

I don't do crisis.

-Jon

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Although i'll be ordering one, i'm curious: for those of us who are electronic-assembly adept, is the schematic for the interface gadget available?

thanks for honchoing the surplus supply...
--dick

p.s. the proper number for the Keyspan is USA-19HS
(i agree that it's the best RS232-USB adapter on the market)

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
One of my most painful frustrations as Doktor A, is fielding those desperate phone calls from disabled or limp home mode crippled Sprinter owners, stranded out in the middle of nowhere. Or WORSE, stranded at the DEALERSHIP.

Stranded without accurate, on-site, quality diagnostic data. Frustration for me, panic for the owner.

As Doktor A, I can provide basic diagnostic phone advice but I just know that IF I could be there, in person, with my pearl handled DRBIII diagnostic tool in holster, I could rescue them and then ride off into the sunset.

Well, my dream, and yours, is now possible. And best of all, you will likely be able to rescue yourself. Your wife will utter those magic words you've long fantasized hearing- "My Hero".

Until now, Sprinter diagnostics was essentially an ALL OR NOTHING proposition.

For instance, as a Sprinter specific diagnostic tool, on a scale of 1 to 10, most generic scan tools (including the, useful as an auxiliary Gauge, ScanGaugeII), rate only a measly 1. The factory DRBIII deserves a 10. The $10,000 Snap-On Modis is perhaps a 5 and that's generous.

Now EVERY Sprinter owner can own an affordable Sprinter specific tool that rates a solid 7.

What is this timely Godsend to merely mortal Sprinter owners?

This is a laptop based software with a German made, Sprinter specific multiplex cable/black box which was deployed in maintenance depots of one of the worlds largest corporations.

They paid $2000 a piece for these Sprinter diagnostic packages. They recently ordered a system which covers newer vehicles in their fleet. These are the contractual trade-ins. Technically, surplus. AFFORDABLE surplus. Expect some scratches and scars on the black boxes but they are guaranteed to be fully functional. Factory service is no longer available from Germany but I will try to keep some as emergency spares, if needed.

Hand sorted, tested, and with new simplified software on a new CD for ('02-'06 ONLY) Sprinter owners and shops, it is available to Sprinter-forum group members first, exclusively!, for a limited time and in limited quantities.

I affectionately call it DAD (Doktor A Diagnostician). The software writer officially named it Super Sprinter Diagnostic System. You can call it what you like but you'll agree it's an amazing breakthrough in price and Sprinter information access.

The DAD can quick scan every module in your Sprinter.

Engine module, Transmission module, Shifter module, ABS/ESP module, SKREEM (immobilizer) module, Climate Control module, Instrument cluster, Heater booster/Aux Heater, Central timer (remote door locks), Airbag/seat belt module and more.

It provides factory fault codes WITH explanation and in most cases snap-shot data showing various parameters at fault set-time.

It provides real time sensor outputs.

It provides system tests for diagnostic work YOU can perform from the comfort of your cab.

Depending on 612/647 version, it can even help flush brakes.

I can list pages of features but it thankfully includes a complete 137 page users manual on the CD in pdf format. A users manual full of Sprinter information found nowhere else.

Also included are simple, written software installation instructions and installation software and aids on the CD.

You will need a windows laptop. The Sprinter black box/cable requires connection to a 9 pin Serial port (RS-232). Most professional automotive diagnostics requires this port. If you don't have this serial port you can use a USB adapter, the IT guru has tested and approved one in particular, the Keyspan USA-19H. I can provide these at a deep discount if you need one. Let me know when ordering your DAD.

The system was designed to be used with Windows XP, but the IT guru tells me it will work with most others, both older (Windows 2000, and 98) and the newer Vista and Windows 7 (but NOT in their virtual XP mode).

The Bottom Line?

If I may do my Billy Mays imitation, NOT $1000. NOT $800. NOT $600, not even $500.

The special, group, inner circle, price is $299 plus shipping and insurance.

This system will work on ALL WORLD WIDE SPRINTER models (pre-'07). Euro owners can obtain a inexpensive OBDII to MBenz circular socket diagnostic adapter.

To order, please e-mail me at abittenbinder@yahoo.com and I will provide payment instructions. Include your Sprinter's model year when e-mailing me. RV owners-this tool covers all 5 cylinder Sprinters, your '07 chassis may be a '06 drivetrain.

Payment via PAYPAL or US POSTAL Money Order only, please.

Limit, one per customer, and I reserve right to refuse sale to owners and technicians in my immediate geographic area. A man has to eat. DAD is that good.

I envision a group within our group of owners sharing info on application and helping others with questions related to laptop use and installation questions, etc.

I am not an IT engineer, my expertise is with the vehicle. Please do not ask me IT related questions.

Keep the Sprinter Faith and Happy New Year!

Doktor A
We want one for our harry four-potters:cry:
The lads will love you to bits on the deal :hugs:
Richard

WeBeGone

Excellente.......Count me in.....BUT WAIT...If I order now can I get one of those cool USB adapters?

Way to go Doktor A...:thumbup:

sp99drac9r

I'm in too, just sent an email. I'm soooo curious to see what electronic thoughts are passing through my Sprinter's nervous system.
Ahem! Note to any folks also out here in the SF Bay Area: I'm happy to share. (And it'd be nice to see a few actual faces!)

yellowmike

Andy,
what do you mean when you refer to a "9 pin serial port" is this the serial port that is located under the dash that I have my scan gauge II hooked into now??

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Andy's announcement mentioned "the Keyspan USA-19HS" which is a device that fits into a laptop's USB slot and prvides a 9-pin, serial port (RS-232). This turns the USB port into a classic "COM1, COM2 ...." interface.

Most modern laptops have abandoned the 9-pin serial port as the world has embraced IP networking and devices wih USB interfaces.

My guess is that the diagnostic interface connects to the ODB port on the Sprinter on one side, and commnicates with the laptop using a 9-pin connector on the other side.

Since most laptops don't have a 9-pin connecter any more, the Keyspan USA-19HS provides that backward-compatibility, gives a laptop a 9-pin serial inerface.

We in the IT field use such devices to connect to the console of older routers, switches, UNIX and VMS servers..... and old style modems if absolutely necessary.

-Jon

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I'm in too, just sent an email. I'm soooo curious to see what electronic thoughts are passing through my Sprinter's nervous system.

Ahem! Note to any folks also out here in the SF Bay Area: I'm happy to share. (And it'd be nice to see a few actual faces!)
Unlike an expensive DRBIII you don't need to share this affordable system. The pricing allows everyone to have one and to be ready for road side emergencies.

Or use it to communicate and bond with your beloved Sprinter. Your Sprinter has been anxious to talk with you. Doktor A

glasseye

DAY EXTERIOR, NEVADA DESERT. AERIAL VIEW. TINY WHITE SPRINTER MOVES ACROSS THE BARREN LANDSCAPE

LOW ANGLE. TELPHOTO LENS. HEAT WAVES DISTORT VIEW
The Sprinter moves slowly down an endless gravel road. The horizon is fifty miles distant in all directions.

Chugh, chugh, chug.... The Sprinter slows, falters, almost as if it were hurt, limping.

WIFE
"What's wrong with the van, dear?"

SPRINTER PILOT, stops vehicle on shoulder. Total silence.
"Uh, just a sec."

SPRINTER PILOT changes the small, dash-mounted laptop from GPS tracking mode to diagnostics mode and squints carefully at the screen in the bright Nevada sunshine.

SPRINTER PILOT, paging through various screens
"mmmhmm"

WIFE
What? Mmmmhm?

SPRINTER PILOT
Intake air temperature implausible

WIFE
What?

SPRINTER PILOT emerges from cab, rummages in rear of vehicle, opens hood, replaces little black thingie with new one, closes hood starts engine. SPRINTER runs perfectly.

DAY EXTERIOR, NEVADA DESERT. AERIAL VIEW. TINY WHITE SPRINTER MOVES SWIFTLY ACROSS LANDSCAPE

WIFE (VOICE OVER)
"Oh darling! You are SO clever!"

SPRINTER PILOT ( to self )
"Thank you, Doktor A, thank you!"

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Several group members have inquired why I am asking for model year of your Sprinter.

The DAD system will work on ALL pre-6cyl Sprinters. I want to be sure that no OM642 6 cyl owners (especially RV owners) order one by mistake. Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
ordered mine today also.. Hope it gets here before my third annual chasing the sun tour begins.:drool:
I'm glad you brought this up. I receive these in shipments of 10 at a time and then begin my own inspection and testing of each unit. Early orders are already filled and there may be delays of up to 2-3 weeks for future orders if demand continues to be strong.

Please let me know when ordering, if your address will be moving, along with you and your winter migrating Sprinter. Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Please continue to reread my original posting. I am constantly updating that post to clarify numerous details. Doktor A

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Just to clarify a bit.

Look at your laptop. If you have a 9-pin connector, mounted on your laptop computer case (maybe on the side, the back, maybe even covered by a lid) that looks like this:

28-12-09_1050.jpg

(this is the back of a Dell D630)

You wouldn't need the adapter.

If you don't have one, you'll probably need USB to serial adapter - and this is the recommended one - keyspan usa hs-19

USA19HS-FRONT-L.jpg

I have purchased USB to serial adapters at Staples, Office Max and Best Buy. Once, after leaving one on a plane, I think I picked one up at Wal-Mart.

-Jon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom