Motor Oil, the OM642, Mobil 1 ESP, Standard MB 229.51

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
In the "Essential Sprinter Parts List" that Seek was so kind to promote to "sticky" ( Thank you, Seek ) is

68001334AA Engine oil 5W30 ESP (low ash), 3.0L diesel (required)

The OM642, 3.0L V6 diesel engine requires oil that conforms to specification MB 229.51 or MB 228.31.

This is to protect the DPF. I'll say it again: This is to protect the DPF.

I checked with the service departments of two local dealerships this week, regarding oil used in Sprinter maintenance.

The service writers I spoke with both informed me that Mobil Delvac 1 was what they use for Sprinters, regardless of year.

Mobil Delvac 1 is MB 228.5 compliant.

The Freightliner Owners Manual (page 351) specifically says not to use MB 228.5 oil in the 3.0 L V6 in quantities greater than one (1) quart and only when there's no alternative.

The above "essential" part number's description is suspiciously similar to "Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 - Emission System Protection," but the weight is obviously different.

What is important: according to

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_ESP_Formula_M_5W-40.asp

This product - weight difference aside - is MB 229.51 compliant

and, most importantly

this product is specifically mentioned in the Freightliner Owners Manual for 2007, First Edition, Page 351.

I finally found an online source, for this oil:

http://www.avlube.com is the ingress point to the web content

The product is detailed here:

http://store.avlube.com/mo1espfom5wc.html

-Jon

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Jon I'm going over old ground as to Australia being one up on models years etc.
US and Euro oils are different the Euro oils have always had higher quality specs, as opposed to the lesser US oils which only just pass the US requirements if they do at all.
The new low ash oils were released in 2005 and they were hard to obtain outside of Europe for 12 months, I had to import mine from Europe as to it being a Euro model, the oil is designed as a synthetics oil to hold lubricity at higher temperatures, which the new V6 performs on due to the total redesign of the engine, it also allows the formula to permanently suspend particles on contamination with in the oil itself with out settling into the oil filters and pumps which cause oil sludge and total engine failure life span of oil changes are extended as a result of this oil with the magic formula .
It is in three grades one for Standard exhausts the particulate filter as a low ash oil the size of waste particles going back through the exhaust fro regenerating is a much smaller particle as opposed to the older waste oils and the soot that was produced.
My favorite quote [OILS AIN'T OILS and neither are the FILTERS]
being told by a rep we use the same devalac oils between models new and old shows total contempt and responsibility towards a Customer who in most cases is ill informed and places trust in the dealer ship fro advice its totally wrong to say the old oil is OK , when the new 3Ltr engine does require the higher properties of the new low ash oils,
There are three of these oils however as the US has to worry about one only we will stay with this Mobil low ash oil specifically designed for the VW and Mercedes Commercial vehicles in Europe.
Included is my old favorites for alternative oils available in the states, we have many threads on this most members have read it or at least are aware of it,.
Now that the new Sprinters are starting to circulate the interest and question as to the above of Jon's is showing up again.
Its a good thing that we have this forum , as it grows stronger it will attract newer members who will be seeking answers as to whatever question may appear in the course of time.
Mercedes-Benz Engine Oil Recommendations

Damed if I'd trust a dealer ship ever, they are there to serve their own interests not the customers.
Richard2007 Diesel Regulations - Environmental Irresponsibility? « Mostly Mechanical
ZDDP OLDER ENGINES - Topic Powered by eve community

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Included is my old favorites for alternative oils available in the states, we have many threads on this most members have read it or at least are aware of it,.
Now that the new Sprinters are starting to circulate the interest and question as to the above of Jon's is showing up again.
Its a good thing that we have this forum , as it grows stronger it will attract newer members who will be seeking answers as to whatever question may appear in the course of time.
Damed if I'd trust a dealer ship ever, they are there to serve their own interests not the customers.
Thank you Richard, for your support, experience and your guidance.

I was in a store yesterday and noticed they stocked Amsoil's MB229.51-compliant product. I asked how much was sold. It's the slowest-selling item in the store. Once that supply is exhausted, it won't soon be replaced until someone asks for it.

Responsible stewardship of something as complicated as the NCV3 is impossible without access to decent nexus of information, accurate, cited, sussed, debated and verified.

What fun this is!

-Jon

verojohn

Who else uses the Amsoil here? I'm on the fence and like the ease of ordering it on line.

Also, where is the best place to order oil filters and what size for a 2007 Dodge?

Thanks in advance.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Who else uses the Amsoil here? I'm on the fence and like the ease of ordering it on line.

Also, where is the best place to order oil filters and what size for a 2007 Dodge?

Thanks in advance.
BUY IT it's the slowest selling oil on the shelves amsoil has, but thats only because no one has needed it in quantity YET.
They have an excellent reputation for quality oils.
PS the oil is not Mercedes certified, but as Mercedes have said we can't test every oil alternative and they concentrate on Euro oils mostly because they have a higher value than US oils, which is true.
amsoil is a good product.
PS search back on oil threads, there ARE= MANY LINKS OF REFERENCE TO THE COMPANY.
Richard
Latter thought I'D love to have be able to gt hold of a sample of thier upper cylinder lube to run a carbon, and flame test to see if it's any better than the opposition
Dam not in Hobart though and NO I don't want to be a dealer of the product

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
BUY IT They have an excellent reputation for quality oils.
PS the oil is not Mercedes certified,
Richard
I'D love to have be able to gt hold of a sample of thier upper cylinder lube to run a carbon, and flame test to see if it's any better than the opposition

Amsoil European: I saw a dozen quarts on the shelves of a NAPA Autoparts store near Seattle, WA USA today. That makes two retail outlets that have it on the shelves as of today in this area.

The writing on the back of the bottle says, "MB 229.51."

Does that mean Mercedes did test it?

Or does it mean Amsoil is guessing that it would pass a specification test?

Or does it mean Amsoil is likely just falsely advertising their specification?

As for Amsoil upper cylinder lube, are you referring to this product?

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/adf.aspx

or another Amsoil addititive?

-Jon

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Amsoil European: I saw a dozen quarts on the shelves of a NAPA Autoparts store near Seattle, WA USA today. That makes two retail outlets that have it on the shelves as of today in this area.

The writing on the back of the bottle says, "MB 229.51."

Does that mean Mercedes did test it?

Or does it mean Amsoil is guessing that it would pass a specification test?

Or does it mean Amsoil is likely just falsely advertising their specification?

As for Amsoil upper cylinder lube, are you referring to this product?

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/adf.aspx

or another Amsoil addititive?

-Jon
Jon
The MB oil ratings I placed further up in the post would be July last year for oils MB did test for the MB ratings of certification
I am not aware amsoil has it from MB itself :idunno: Their Chemists would have matched the specs with a quality product I am positive of it, IF there is any information that pertains to as a reference it will state Euro specs U.S specs have a lower standard , if the latter is stated , that is per-say it complies to Fed U/S specs then the oil does not match the Euro specs, basically one would have to see the tests of data comparison matches etc.
I know they are pretty fussy about the product range.
Yes the last link of the additive was the one I was interested in but most companies don't include a carbon test or Fame test for emissions etc
Simple test to achieve the visual eye test to both, to determine how reactive the product is with carbon prints and the flame test also is an indicator , it keeping the NOx levels down
The only one I have ever seen that actually shows the test is used for the US Government they put additives in everything, shows how much they trust the oil, and fuel sort of double standards :thinking: on that one but it's the same down under as well:smilewink:
It's no big deal but as you know I'm curious some additives are no good some are , some are meant for the new engines from 2000 on-wards some are just junk. I don't think amsoil is though.
Richard

verojohn

Not that the manual is everything but...my 2007 manual states that if the oil has any combination of the specs listed, it's approved. One of the specs for the 3.0L diesel is MB 229.51 and if the Amsoil has it, it would be Okay....I think....

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
OK Why don't I pm them and ask for their Representative of amsoil to give us some information :clapping:
We have a forum that is growing, if we as a forum of members united as one group, are asking questions! 'As to is it! or is it not OK? Oil in this case.

Then why not go to the source to find out. amsoil is an independent group not easy in this day and age when large corporate body's plays games with the public and don't tell the truth, So my thoughts are Lets ask and get them to give us some data, so we can make up our own minds it will serve our purpose of unanswered questions, it's a good PR for amsoil where a win win situation may eventuate.
IMPO I believe that amsoil is a leader in quality production for oils in the USA I have read both stats and the sometimes provocative statements they have made towards Both the fed regulations and towards larger companies Quote altering products to comply to a very old basic set of standards that are out dated by world ISO standards each of us as individuals have investments in assets of vehicles, some of us rely on these vehicles to sustain a living from , and they need the best protection we can give the vehicles for longevity well after the warranty expires ,
Oils ain't oils and neither are the fuels.
What are your comments towards us asking amsoil for a commentary.
'The Members Call'
Richard.

verojohn

OK Why don't I pm them and ask for their Representative of amsoil to give us some information :clapping:
We have a forum that is growing, if we as a forum of members united as one group, are asking questions! 'As to is it! or is it not OK? Oil in this case.

Then why not go to the source to find out. amsoil is an independent group not easy in this day and age when large corporate body's plays games with the public and don't tell the truth, So my thoughts are Lets ask and get them to give us some data, so we can make up our own minds it will serve our purpose of unanswered questions, it's a good PR for amsoil where a win win situation may eventuate.
IMPO I believe that amsoil is a leader in quality production for oils in the USA I have read both stats and the sometimes provocative statements they have made towards Both the fed regulations and towards larger companies Quote altering products to comply to a very old basic set of standards that are out dated by world ISO standards each of us as individuals have investments in assets of vehicles, some of us rely on these vehicles to sustain a living from , and they need the best protection we can give the vehicles for longevity well after the warranty expires ,
Oils ain't oils and neither are the fuels.
What are your comments towards us asking amsoil for a commentary.
'The Members Call'
Richard.
Here is what Amsoil says they cover, you might ask in a "group question" if they've been tested by MB. I'll call and ask if that helps unless someone has an in at Amsoil. Please note that the verbiage says gasoline and doesn't include diesel?

From the Amsoil site:
Meets or exceeds the following specifications for domestic and foreign gasoline engines:

API SL, CI-4, CF
ACEA A3, B3, B4
BMW LL-01/98
Daimler Chrysler 229.3, 229.4, 229.5
Opel Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
Opel Diesel Service ill GM-LL-B-025
Porsche
Volvo
Saab
Volkswagen 502.00, 505.00, 503.01

Last edited:

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
One thier web site they use both references to 229.5 and 229.51 for the same product depening on what page your on.....

I did not see anything about it's ash content though.

Tom

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Looking at the specs provided by Joh
Thinking at the very bottom of the page the photo shows the old 228 one is for the particulate filter the other is for bluetec units, I'll check that out tonight as I'm not 100% on it
Reasons 4 cylinders and V6 in gas and Diesel all have a different operating tempurture:thinking:
Richard
oilu.jpg

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
That is exactly the Dodge Sprinter manual right down to the exact same page.
Jon I knocked that photo clip from your manual :smilewink:
OM 642 engine
228.51 is for euro 1V engines bluetec with particulate filters
229.31 is a lower grade oil as to the low ash longer extended life oils for the OM 642 DE 30LA engine euro 1V as the Dodge specs don't match to the euro engines then you have an older passenger car V6 from the 2002 E35 Mercedes passenger cars and they have a lesser EGR fuel system that does comply to euro 3 US specs bin 2 We have to find out what Diesel engine is in the US Sprinters
Richard
y9.jpg
Re=checking between all 228 oils:thinking: 228.51 definitely not recommended for Sprinters in the US
dfg.jpg

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Correct paper filters recommended by MB for both 229.5 and 229.51 oils.
Note: this specifcation is from MB USA, not Dodge
Richard
642.jpg

Top Bottom