RUST all over:(

kitos

I have a 2006 registred Sprinter and after only 8months the van is full of rust, roof,door hinges, door panel all over with rust. The van is always garaged and only has 6000 miles on the clock, i dont use it every day. anyone has this problem.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
If you have rust from one end to the other it needs to go back to Dodge you have a warranty on corrosion
However the rust that is forming needs to be verified as to where it's coming from and to what is the cause, if it's atmospheric acid rain your warranty is void, this means you need to source from where it's coming from, to seek compensation if you can prove it, and if there is an exemption in place for the company responsible to pollute many areas in the US are under state control with exemptions in place for companies to actually pollute until a year date falls into place for compliance.
Can you provide high density photos and a geographic idea as too what companies are in your immediate area are there other vehicles suffering paint problems under say three years old.
Your vehicle is a 2006 model , what is the year of manufacture and if and where was it stored prior to you purchasing it. Your brief of rust has no real information to give an immediate answer.
Richard

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
If you check at YahooSprinterVan archives, you will find several common issues with rust:

1) roof seams
2) under the plastic over the running boards
3) on the hinges where Mercedes simply paints over the whole hinge after it is assembled and the very first time you open the door the paint flakes off
4) under the windshield seal
5) "rail rust" on the steel rims
6) abrasion from mud flaps exposing bare metal

All these are basically "normal" for the Sprinter, of which only Nos. 1 and 4 have consistently been reported of no warranty collection problems.

Also reported are mechanical problems like the hood latch punching through the hood.

If you are experiencing paint chips from road debris, that will not be covered. There are discussions on this topic both in this forum and YahooSprinterVan and products available to limit this damage.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Going on HK's report ofd which I am aware of. I would like to add the following comment.

Slight rust formation on top of the rain rails has been known to occur, the paint is thin at this point also the metal surface at the highest point of the rail is not consistent in the smoothness of the metal.
A simple polish will fix it, as this is caused by an acidic presence in most cases eg tree sap wood, oil heaters wood fires etc, pollutants from industrial fallout.

Rust formation under the plastic steps can occur due to excessive and consistent moisture, there is a very simple fix, remove the step and spray with White Lithium Grease, this product covers all areas , as it dries it expands it will not wash off or freeze it prevents friction while protecting against rust and corrosion.

Roof seams rust, this is a U.S quality production issue it's not a normal occurrence for the Mercedes Sprinter, there has never been a registered complaint for rust on a Sprinter in Australia.
Whilst in transport it's likely oxidization has occurred and not been dealt with prior to re assembly at Ladston FL
All metal surfaces either bare or in base primer prior to repainting have a special surface metal primer reapplied to unpainted surfaces which takes a full 24 hrs to cure, before a two pack paint is applied,
Rust under screens the same applies if the screen is fitted on US Sprinters in the US factory screens don't rust underneath, unless it's constantly wet or damp, they can be cleaned and should be cleaned after each winter or at least twice a year, there are six points on the screen to run a air blast through to clean out the rubbish that may have accumulated CR3 is then sprayed to keep it in a neutral condition to prevent possible rust.
If the screen was not correctly vacuumed sealed when fitted, it could be a trap area for dirt to accumulate to generate rust, and this takes years for it to break through. if the water content is mineral free.
Hinges on back doors are fully primed and painted in two pack paint no Australian sprinter has paint falling of these sections.
No reported rust problems from data since 1998. they have a galvanized surface underneath or zinc primed.

Wheel rust, is either from salt! or corrosive impact, from an outside source.

Mud flaps are attached firmly with plastic screws not metal, there is no movement to create abrasion as such. but it is a dirt collector.

Paint on some areas where there is a silicone type seal can be effected where it may de laminate again a solvent is usually the course, but it can be a weak point, for paint to come off these sections is most likely caused by a human contact, with an oil like substance whilst cleaning with prep off... prior to painting again, pre-assembled in the states may be the quality issue.
paint on a hood bracket will wear or chip off , they do have a cadium plated surface underneath, , IMPO I don't see why they should have paint on them in the first place.
Rust in parts of FL, NY snow effected areas salt will rust a vehicle quickly if not kept clean. Desert areas surface rust, is common with high heat during the day and below freezing at night, it creates condensation! paint breaks down with internal surface rust forming .metallic paints first sign of failure is the clear finish peeling off or fading between the clear lacquer and the base coats of metallic based paints RED enamel paints are also a fade out problem , some also standard colors also have a clear lacquer applied over them too they are known to peel back.
Canada well that's guaranteed to rust a vehicle out in five years, if commercially driven on salt coated roads.
But for a vehicle to be parked in a sheltered garage six months old does not add up, unless its lives in plastic coated high humid presence, with a green house like atmosphere.
I would like to see high resolution photograph's rather than just a comment.
This is not normal for a Sprinter. under five years old and then it's a cleaning issue that created it in the first place, or lack of.
Richard

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
HK, these are hidden areas. How do you check to find out if it's happening before it gets serious?
I believe Bill's vehicle is generation NCV3 and many reported problems are from owners of T1N vehicles.

It will be interesting to watch the impact of the design changes on many legendary issues; not just rust.

-Jon

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
HK, these are hidden areas. How do you check to find out if it's happening before it gets serious?

For the plastic steps, remove the plastic plugs then the bolts.

For the windshield, the discussion on YahooSprinterVan was inconclusive. Some reported being able to see gaps between the gasket and the metal which permited water to enter under the gasket. Some reported lifting the edge up of the gasket - which in and of itself has negative implications. Others reported only finding out when replacing the windshield, requiring additional surface preparation before mounting the windshield [for those lucky enough to have either honest installers or owners who watched like a hawk the removal/installation process]. A fourth set of comments related to mechanic damage to the metal surface when removing the windshield resulted in scratches that later (and quickly) lead to rust.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Mud flaps are attached firmly with plastic screws not metal, there is no movement to create abrasion as such. but it is a dirt collector.
I should have been more specific. The reported rust related to mud flaps is with the optional mud flaps for the rears. The front set of mud flaps do not seem to be generating rust problems.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Thanks HK for clarification
I get annoyed when the vehicle is blamed in it's entirety when in most cases it's a generated after production! 'human error as such':thumbdown:
Richard

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
For the plastic steps, remove the plastic plugs then the bolts.

For the windshield, the discussion on YahooSprinterVan was inconclusive.
Right. I hoped you had some sort of new and esoteric information. Hidden until discovered it shall remain.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Roof seams rust, this is a U.S quality production issue it's not a normal occurrence for the Mercedes Sprinter, there has never been a registered complaint for rust on a Sprinter in Australia.
This is not normal for a Sprinter. under five years old and then it's a cleaning issue that created it in the first place, or lack of.
Richard
Whilst there may not be any recorded instances of CDI roof seams rusting Down Under, there are plenty of rotten roof seams here in the UK.

My own view is that condensation gets trapped in the poorly finished roof panel seams, leading to a moisture trap that degenerates into corrosion.

Have a look at the internal roof seams and see the gaps.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Just to clarify My point as too the many threads that abound,
Corrosion is caused by atmospheric influences , In many of the varied complaints in the US it's caused by acid rain or from aftermarket manufactures cutting metal and not sealing the seams with the correct primers it has become apparent the re assembly process of the sprinters is a paint issue as well as to touch up being done in standard acrylic paints and not two pack and or not cleaning the joints on the cargo vans prior to reassembly,
Rust on Sprinters in wet areas will happen , usually because of condensation also from salt , which is not a warranty claim as such,
we have twelve year warranty protection on the Crafters and five on the Sprinters in two parts of OZ and seven in others, work that one out:thinking:
Richard
Mine does not rust! It wouldn't dare Tasmanias climate is simular to the UK it;'s a temperate climate , so rust does happen with age, again only because of lack of maintaing the said units:lol:

Last edited:

AVL_Sprinter

Whitewater Freak
I just found rust on mine. :rant: It is behind the black rubber seal on the one of the side windows. Everyone should check. I found it washing and waxing the van.

I am also waitng to hear if it is covered in warranty.

Very pissed off, I have only had the vehicle 5 months. :yell:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I just found rust on mine. :rant: It is behind the black rubber seal on the one of the side windows. Everyone should check. I found it washing and waxing the van.

I am also waitng to hear if it is covered in warranty.

Very pissed off, I have only had the vehicle 5 months. :yell:
Do I hear anger:yell:
Keep it plain and simple :professor:
Look behind the rubber seal and try to follow the cut metal line in the body work. preferably from the inside of the van as this is easier to view.
One if you have clear cut edge exposing metal ..{No Paint}.. {No Primer} OK.
Two is this shinny metal with rust forming at that point not from a paint chip but from the exposed cut-out edge.
IF the latter is clear to view! eg, where no prep has been done!! then you have full right of recourse to ask the Company who executed to the contract, to installing the glass! to take it out, and do the job as to MB's' specifications of priming the metal edge, end of story! it's not a paint corrosion fault, this is neglect in care and duty to seal off a non painted edge.
..................................................................................​
Look to see if it has been painted with a touch up gun an over spray and dull edges will be visible.. I know They would not have used a blending clear over on this little trick. due to lack of training and knowledge.
If there is paint , then try and find if there was a Grey primer underlying, there are two types One is plain Jane sanding primer this is not a rust inhibitor, the latter is a metal primer and it has to be compatible to The paint type of Mercedes-Benz Proper.
DSC01164 (Large).JPG There is a way to catch the dealerships out on this one, buy setting them up to a lead question, as too How is it done? but that becomes a different part to the questio of reponsibilty towards the repairs of rusting.
Just to cut out a metal frame for a window to be fitted, there is a days work involved proir to the instaltion of Glass with seamless rubber seals
Richard​

Top Bottom