Power Inverter Installation

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Since I decided to propagate the driver's side of the Sprinter with 12V sockets, it would be nice to also have AC to power those items that do not run off of 12V (microwave, wife requested a hair dryer, etc.). For a microwave, it was recommended that I have at least a 1500W inverter.

battery.jpg
I decided to mount it underneath the seat because I wanted it out of sight and out of way (hopefully not out of mind).

There are heat issues mounting it in that location, but I'm hoping that with the fans and the built-in shut off circuit I would avoid some major problems. I guess I could mount it elsewhere, but that would pose some other problems notably battery cable length. I'll probably limit my duty cycle initially and monitor the temperature.

I really wanted a 2000W pure sinewave inverter, but the cost and mounting issues limited my choices and I had to settle for a Vector 1500W modified sinewave inverter. Vector was the only one that I could find that had the largest wattage to size inverter. The Vector 2000W modified sinewave was another option, but with the battery input cables it would not fit.

IMGP0002.JPG
Here's what happens when my 2 year old decides to help by measuring the case temperature using a toy thermometer. Let me try this again...

IMGP0003.JPG
Vector VEC050D 1500W Modified Sinewave Inverter

I'm actually impressed with the build quality of the unit. I hope the quality of the signal output is just as good.

To be continued...

Last edited:

BBlessing

61k happy miles
just for those who don't know, (as i did not). i have been told, "if you want to charge batteries ie dewalt or the like power tool batteries, you must have a full signwave inverter. if you don't, it will ruin your rechargeable batteries." so my recommendation sikwan, don't plug any battery chargers into that thing.

bb

sikwan

06 Tin Can
just for those who don't know, (as i did not). i have been told, "if you want to charge batteries ie dewalt or the like power tool batteries, you must have a full signwave inverter. if you don't, it will ruin your rechargeable batteries." so my recommendation sikwan, don't plug any battery chargers into that thing.
Thanks. :thumbup: It'll be doing microwave and hair dryer duties.

Do you know if that applies to cell phone type batteries? I was going to avoid the cost of a vehicle charger for my next phone by just using my small inverter with the standard charger. Maybe I need to reconsider.....

bb

BBlessing

61k happy miles
can't say for sure. it will need some more research. it was something that i was told when i mentioned installing an inverter. i would guess that it would also apply to laptops also. there are some in car pc power supplies that are supposed to produce super clean power from the 12 volt system that might suit your needs.

bb

unik

bb
100% agree, power-tools recharges does not like this. After blowing fusers on tools recharches I stop using invertor for tools recharger.
By the way with recharges: cell-phone, video-camera, pictures-camera it works OK.

Last edited:

unik

Do you know if that applies to cell phone type batteries? .....
Yes, I do use cell-phone recharger ~120v from invertors from a year2001 :thumbup::thumbup:
From y2001 I did use 400wats invertor. 2006 I've got my Sprinter and got biger inverter 750w.
it allso works with vide-camera, and I do have desk-top-computer on ~120v invertor.

stp57

I have been using Home Depot's Husky 750W inverter for years in my work vans. It is a "modified" sine wave. I have had no problems using my double DeWalt Nicad charger on it, and recently I replaced it with a double lithium charger. I have even plugged in a second charger & had 3 batteries charging at the same time. I, of course keep the engine running when drawing this many amps because I don't want my AGM battery to go under 75% charge.
Steve

Last edited:

BBlessing

61k happy miles
that is good to know. i may have to do some experimenting with mine.

bb

I have been using Home Depot's Husky 750W inverter for years in my work vans. It is a "modified" sine wave. I have had no problems using my double DeWalt Nicad charger on it, and recently I replaced it with a double lithium charger. I have even plugged in a second charger & had 3 batteries charging at the same time. I, of course keep the engine running when drawing this many amps because I don't my AGM battery to go under 75% charge.
Steve

Aircraft Wrench

Sik,

I have a 1750 in my van...it is freemounted on a cabinet behind the pilots seat....it is surprising how much the fan runs with even a small load...(200-350 watts) I would suggest perhaps considering mounting a small computer power supply fan in the area to circulate even more air than the fan inside your inverter.

Best regards,

Jimmy

Attachments

Aircraft Wrench

Steve,

Welding cable with crimped ends....I think.....I did it last year and I just can't remember:cry: I'm sorry....I suppose I could get a mirror and look....tomorrow...I've been working since 0730 and now its 2115 and I'm hungry!!!!

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Decided to bend some steel bars that will act as supports for the inverter.
1.JPG

A total of eight 5mm tapped holes.
2.JPG

Close up of the inverter mounted to the support bar.
3.JPG

Wooden board was used to level the inverter and its supports to the passenger chair base.
4.JPG

There was a lot of checking and rechecking before any holes were drilled into the chair base.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
There are three AC outlets on the inverter, but I had plan on only using one output just so that I could limit the number of accessories in use.
5.JPG

Since I was wiring an outlet at a remote location, I wanted to purchase the VEC003 remote switch from Vector.
vec003.JPG

Luckily, GeorgeTG blew up something and provided me some information about the remote switch. :smilewink: I asked him whether the Vector remote switch was worth the $20 and he said, "no." He mentioned that most of the electronics was inside the inverter and the $20 remote switch was just a switch with some LED's.

So with George's information (Thanks George! :thumbup:), I decided to go probing and found this...
7.JPG
It's exactly how the VEC003 remote switch is set up. Green LED is power on and the Red LED is for the fault notification.

I routed a 15 foot AC extension cord and a CAT5 cable from passenger base, underneath the van, and to the passenger side ash tray.
8.JPG
I used LED's that had built-in resistors to simplify the solder job.

At first I thought I wired it wrong. It wouldn't go off when I turned it off. I finally figured out that the logic circuit in the inverter uses a momentary switch. :bash: I didn't have one and I may change it to one later, but for now I have to toggle it on/off to turn it on or off. :idunno:
9.JPG
I did a poor job on the epoxy, but it'll be hidden once I close the ash tray.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
300A ANL fuse and holder mounted with two screws to the floor.
10.JPG
Positive cable from battery is connected to the right side. The left side has two cables exiting; 1 to the charging relay and 2 to the inverter.

Surprisingly, the OEM Aux Battery does NOT come connected to the charging relay via a fuse. It's a straight battery cable to the charging relay (relay connects the aux battery to the alternator only when the engine is running).

Left side connects to the AC extension cord (black) and the CAT5 cable (blue). Right side connects to the battery positive and ground cables.
11.JPG
The chair moves freely. I forgot to take into account of the clearance between the top of the inverter to the bottom of the seat cushion. It's real close, but is not touching at the full down cushion position. It also leaves a bit of room for the cables to move freely over the base when the chair is positioned all the way forward.

There are probably better places to mount the inverter, but the space was free and I wanted the inverter out of sight. While the inverter contains fans and an auto shutoff feature, I will be monitoring its temperature and duty cycle when running the microwave on the road.

As Jimmy (Aircraft Wrench) has mentioned, I may have to add some forced air cooling using the underseat cushion as a baffle or just remove the seat cushion (temporarily) entirely.

rlent

Nice job !

Breakout the Orrville Redenbacker's Microwave Popping Corn and give 'er a trial run.

spiers

Hey Sikwan, first I have to say excellent job, and I would like to shamelessly steal it :smirk: I was wondering if your drawing
So with George's information (Thanks George! ), I decided to go probing and found this...

It's exactly how the VEC003 remote switch is set up. Green LED is power on and the Red LED is for the fault notification.
is the same pinout as the connector on the vector box, i.e. is the picture you drew like you were looking at the vector connector. I just ask because I would normally number cat5/6 in the opposite direction, 1-8 where you have 8-1. Just dont want to reverse anything and short it out or something.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Hey Sikwan, first I have to say excellent job, and I would like to shamelessly steal it :smirk: I was wondering if your drawing is the same pinout as the connector on the vector box, i.e. is the picture you drew like you were looking at the vector connector. I just ask because I would normally number cat5/6 in the opposite direction, 1-8 where you have 8-1. Just dont want to reverse anything and short it out or something.
Hi Spiers...it's numbered as if you're looking at the connector on inverter.

So if you're looking at this connector...

It'll be, from left to right...8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

I thought I looked it up and followed the industry numbering direction, but I must've reversed it or did something. :smirk: Hope that clears it up.

Top Bottom