Spare tire, and Hitch

flash'sdad

I just bought a 2500 118" sprinter. It has a step bumper on it, and a reese hitch. Accorrding to the dealer, you can't have a under carriage spare tire holder AND a hitch on the 118. Does anyone have any experience with moving the hitch? It is a real hassle having the spare behind my seat.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
If I understand your question correctly, look under the rear and your should find the hitch attached with bolts. It should come right off. Once you have it off, did they leave the tire mounting hardware? If not, you will either have to order the pieces.

flash'sdad

I wasn't too clear. I would like to have both the spare tire AND the towing hitch coexist peacefully. (I.e., have them both in place). Of course, being able to get the spare tire out without having to remove the hitch is preferable.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
I wasn't too clear. I would like to have both the spare tire AND the towing hitch coexist peacefully. (I.e., have them both in place). Of course, being able to get the spare tire out without having to remove the hitch is preferable.
On my LTV the spare tire is on a separate rear mount to the left of the hitch. If that hardware is available, then it's an idea solution. The spare tire is much easier to take off this mount than it is when it's underneath the van and vastly easier to replace later.

If you want pictures, let me know.

flash'sdad

YES PLEASE! I really dont think that I would ever tow anything, I really want it for rear enders. I have always had a ahitch on my cars and it has paid for itself many times over.

flash'sdad

Ok. I also have a ladder on the driver's side, rear door. What I would really like to have is the spare under the vehicle, AND the hitch mounted in their places. I would be happy to to have the ball stick out a bit further. I have looked the the Steyn Van, and several others. Is it possible on a 118? :thinking:

flash'sdad

On my LTV the spare tire is on a separate rear mount to the left of the hitch. If that hardware is available, then it's an idea solution. The spare tire is much easier to take off this mount than it is when it's underneath the van and vastly easier to replace later.

If you want pictures, let me know.
Bill, what hitch do you have and what (it appears to be a sleeve) is that? is there a model #? THanks for your help.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Bill, what hitch do you have and what (it appears to be a sleeve) is that? is there a model #? THanks for your help.
:idunno: I can't find any sort of markings on it, sorry. The parts manual that came with the RV has a section on the trailer wiring but nothing on the hitch. Yes, it's a sleeve.

Top Bottom