Ventvisor

stp57

"In Australia we have very high UV ratings , so we had them made to order same as the headlight protectors.
The shades are tinted and non glare UV resisting no wind noise, and you don't have a need for the swing sun visor you guys are looking at, in fact they are illegal even in the States as to safety compliance on front end crash testing, a swing type can end up chopping your top brain box off. and those metal screws can come out on torsional forces, lose an eye or do serious damage to your head."
Richard

Which swing visors are you talking about Richard? I have the one from Sprinteraccessories & the pivot bolt has a locking nut on it & it is quite out of the way. The screws that hold the adapter brackets on fasten in the same place as the original visor end caps. I can't see this being a problem. I could put a plastic nut cap on the one bolt, but it is actually above the original visor end caps.
Steve

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Steve
Yes yours are the ones I'm referring to.
Have you noticed there is no compliance rating on the item you purchased:thinking:
Apparently under high torsional forces from side impact at a 45 degree angle the can rip out of the plastic headlining , thus the risk of metal protruding that can possibly do damage to your head.
Not thatany one enforces it, but it went bak to a 1959 saftey mandate in Europe , Australia picked up on it and no commercial vehicle at the weight class or a basic delivery vehicle has a swing type visor.
Lost in the midst of US DOT regulations the same thing is indicated as being a possiable risk to safety so there you go the visor is fixed.
I have seen wrecks where investigations as to the cause of an injury was implemented as to possiable third party claims from injury resulting from defective vehicle design faults that contributed to the said injury's, this is why recalls sometimes come through for a fix, the last one in Australia was a massive recall on GM vehicles for defective side air bags, they did not go off under side impact resulting in death and injury, although GM argued the case, they lost because of the way they advertised the effectiveness of the system.
Simply put bolts and nuts scare the heck out of me, same as protruding DVD systems, I call them brain scanners:crazy:
Richard

stp57

Wow, I didn't know that swing visors were not allowed in commercial vehicles abroad. I thought that the Sprinter fixed visor was an odd duck.
My 2006 Sprinter has metal blocks which are secured to the roofs sheetmetal/ window frame & the visor screws fasten to the blocks & not to the headliner shell. I don't know if the older Sprinters fastened to the headliner shell or not.
Steve

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Not an odd duck just a Mercedes:thumbup:
If you look at the way the original visor is attached! you will understand what I mean , the brackets are set back into a compressed recess void, even the screws two of, within the bracket are deep set, not flush with the bracket.
The reason in part is , if the bracket is flush with the surface headlining, most Good Ol' Boys including Me use them as a card holder Just like a credit card they cut real deep when lose in an accident, My concern with the after market swing bracket is the screws are extending out wards from the lining and look real sharp , that's an issue in it's self but how are they secured from behind, the lining? This guy lost his life because of the metal rod inside the swing sun visor, it was legal as it was rated a one ton vehicle.
Richard
Keep the dash simple and free of attachments like loose GPS units DVD systems sticking up above the dash sharp objects , flying around at 100 MPH on average have a nasty habit of attaching them selves, to softs bits.
2496.jpg

nsw va.jpg
Richard

stp57

Points well take Richard. Thanks.
What year is the van in the picture? I haven't seen a dashboard & shifter like that in a Sprinter before.
Steve

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Steve, It was a Ford unit, the sad part is the NSW St Johns units are privately operated as a non profit organization, So they are limited to lesser quality units.
Dash on the Sprinter is manual, similar to mine
Richard

stp57

I don't know about that Tasmanian sun, but these ventvisors don't dampen the Texas sun one little bit. But, they do have alot of other benefits, thank you. For now, I'll still need my head chopping swing visors.
Steve

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I don't know about that Tasmanian sun, but these ventvisors don't dampen the Texas sun one little bit. But, they do have alot of other benefits, thank you. For now, I'll still need my head chopping swing visors.
Steve
which is why we have 20% Black out Tinted glass as well, 999UV rated
DSC00367(1) (Large).jpg
Have Devil will travel Think Smart fully tinted factory By Benz
DSC00397 (Large).jpg
DSC00402 (Large).jpg
Richard
PS There was a US option for this glass on the last 05 model in the US I think? as you can see from the full picture of the sprinter that glass is black.

Last edited:

VanSyncro

In reply to tibor
How to remove the Ram carbon print
rip off a small piece of clear cling wrap and smear the surface with ,Red-Line synthetic oil Diesel ignition improver It's True:shifty:
press it on the surrounding area of the ram and leave overnight, remove following morning, use a cotton bud,.... to dislodge the carbon print. If it has not dissolved.

Any idea what else would do it? Something more common?

Ian

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
stp57
Steve Hi.
When I had mine installed at the edge where it all bolts together, there is a carbon print of black... 'scratches off real easy', so thinking the same with the rest of it, dots and emblem. being similar to many others I have had in the past factory fitted, that is.
I looked real careful at the setup,Times have changed, that print along with the dots is impressed into the plastic double blow job, and I know how it's done in the two stages of production.
I don't see any way of it being removed, unless you used a dermal and polished it out, and to do this you end up with a dip in the surface, again you really need to know how to polish plastic with scratches out, not for an inexperienced person! too much pressure, and it melts under heat , wrong rpm settings , or working with it too hard , and or cutting polish already because it's lost it's effectiveness.
I apologize Steve I just assumed it was the same as older units .
Richard:bash:

stp57

Thanks Richard,
That little Ram doesn't bother me enough to take the chance. Maybe he'll just run off my ventvisor the first time he sees a flock of sheep.
Steve

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Pray Steve I shall be redeemed, before another one bites the dust.
Australian Idol
Richard
Updating on Australian Vent Visors
By Mercedes-Benz

There are (48) B6472121 LH side Visors
There are (25) B6472120 RH side Visors.. available for sale. stop.
The production run has now ceased, no more to be made. stop
I can get these for AU 95 Dollars plus 10 GST = 104.50 GST inclusive.
This equates on todays prices with Currency conversions to US $ $86.00 U.S dollars for both sides. plus freight. either air mail fast turnaround or air freight three weeks, Flat packaging sea rates will not be applied for in this instance, it's too slow and damage is more likely.

To buy at the above price subject to currency exchange rates I need an order for 15 pairs no less, to achieve the discount rate.

GST is a tax applied on all sales, etc, as I have explained in another post I need to have a tax exemption for export this costs money as I am selling at a no profit margin , and I am not ready to go back into import export, I have to wear the tax, this unfortunately is added into the US $86.00 price.
I am being up front and honest, there are no strings attached etc apart from freight, I think it's about 48 to 55 US dollars for freight Air including the packaging as it adds to weight.
I also can get the headlight covers [Part No; MB B64823130]still some left etc, Weigh in box 3Lbs different price but whatever at cost as to what I will pay, no more.
If any one is interested I will arrange for a thirty clear day period from the 29th of May to the 28Th of June 2007.. for members to join in the group buy, 15 sets are required to make the price quoted.

Payments will be made into our business account
Altered State PTY LTD via subsidiary account all banking details will be given on PM for security reasons. The total cost to me is in Australian dollars for 15 units that is a paired unit left or right so long as a total of thirty peices are sold.
Mercedes-Benz quoted AU $ 1410.00 + GST total AU $ $1551.00
Final price subject to freight and Currencys of the day.

PS Check my figures it may come up differnt with you guys, I'm not that good at converting back to US dollars.:thinking:
Well I guess you will either be interested or not, we'll see.
Ok Now which horse will be the one to take the lead on the first post, remember last one in, may be the losser:idunno:
Richard
DSC00331 (Large).jpg

DSC00333 (Large).jpg

DSC00367(1) (Large).jpg

DSC00364 (Large).jpg

DSC00363 (Large) (2).jpg

Last edited:

xfordfan

Found and puchased "in channel" style from Wheathertech. 2 tints dark or light for all years. 49.95 per pair, 14 buck to ship in US. In downers Grove, Il. Ph.# 1800-441-6287.

Top Bottom