Right Hand Drive Sprinter - Dealer Needed

Jeanne

I would like to purchase 3-6 New 2007 Mega Roof - Extended Sprinter vans with right hand drive. The units are being modified and then exported to countries that require right hand drive.

Our facility is located in Central Florida, are there any dealers in the US (preferrably closer to FL) that would be able to supply a right hand drive Sprinter?

If not, does anyone have a recommendation on the most cost effective way of obtaining one? Any international dealer recommendations?

Thanks!
Jeanne

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hello Jeanne.
I saw this a little earlier on but held off until I had some extra information
Quick question why RHD??? I can think of four reasons.
1 Is this for off road use, or public use on roads
2 Private use or governmental agency's.
3 You need to check with customs and the DOT for what is required to compliance for a fully imported Sprinter out side of the States.
headlight reconfiguration seat belts engine compliance stickers and screen stickers there are quite a few differences even the park lights have to be changed over.
As the Sprinters are fully imported there is a cost factor , as to tax breaks being lost on importing a vehicle as to non assembly of local components etc.
Did you want a warranty! or do you want to purchase on a stand alone non warranty agreement.
depending on your requirements as to ordering options if wanted , time frame 12 to 14 weeks.
As at this moment forwarding orders have ceased until the take over is complete. even a dealer has hands tied on this one.
remember Daimler sold the Chrysler division not the Sprinters so at the moment there is an issue of arrangements to worked out to resolve the franchise problems of distribution.
If your that keen I can arrange an export broker to export from Australia as our Sprinters are Mercedes-Benz at the moment we have a window of opportunity to be able to send Sprinters into the States in RHD configuration , but I need to know specifics as to what you may require, and how much you are prepared to pay for these units of 1 to 6 units .
If for example you may have thought rs that an imported Sprinter would be the same price as a local Dodge, I'm sorry it does not work out that way.
However if you are interested in purchasing RHD we can supply once negotiations and pricing plus credit has been arranged.
Richard

Warranty transferee can be arranged on a case by case basis of across border warranty exchange ,via Mercedes-Benz it's rare but it can be done if you can validate a local manufacture can not supply you with a vehicle to your requirements.
Most sprinters in the Middle East are Australian supplied Sprinters
Richard

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Yeah, Richard is the guy to talk to.

I often wonder what kind of connections he has in obtaining his Sprinters straight from Germany, rather than going through a dealership. Or maybe I've been just reading wrong? :thinking: :D

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Yeah, Richard is the guy to talk to.

I often wonder what kind of connections he has in obtaining his Sprinters straight from Germany, rather than going through a dealership. Or maybe I've been just reading wrong? :thinking: :D
Diplomatic Immunity:smilewink:
the 06 model was Mercedes-Benz Australia did not have a license to sell them at the time , so a window of opportunity was found to bring it in.
If I was to try this Today I'd have to leave it in Europe for 12 months or pay one hell of a penalty and no warranty, even I could not afford to risk that now that I am back in trade, I'm poor:idunno:
Richard

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Hello Jeanne.
I saw this a little earlier on but held off until I had some extra information
Quick question why RHD???
Didn't she say:"The units are being modified and then exported to countries that require right hand drive. "

It sounded like a description of an upfitter with global aspirations.

I haven't seen a US Postal Service RHD Jeep in a long time, but I bet at least one of the people that drives/drove a RHD Jeep would like to take a crack at a RHD Sprinter, even if it was too tall to reach the mailboxes.

My 2007 owners manual says that if the vehicle is going to a country where it's customary to drive on the opposite side of the road, the headlights must be masked or flipped. I guess that's for the turning/headlight tracking feature (at 43 miles per hour or below).

If you do get a right hand driver delivered, watch the headlight orientation. If the source of physical sprinters flips the headlamps assuming it will be driven in the US, you'll need to flip them back to ship them to the UK, Australia, NZ etc.

-Jon

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Here's a point that may interest you, This is the first year of a headlight not having markings as to arrow direction:thinking: conclusion they are now fully omni directional, besides you cant flip them but they can be interchanged so long as they met US DOT and EPA rules, now here's the strange bit, there is no regulations pertaining to the Sprinters on compliance data bases, this will have to be done on a case by case issue with Florida state rules and regs..
currently the Sprinter can be bought in legally but its never been done before.
buy an outside authorized dealer .
Under the NAFTA agreements this is perfectly legal.
We ran a long thread over the headlights just a while ago as to lighting direction .
As indicated there will be requirements to a make it road legal, but the parts are already in the USA to have it certified, so it's not going to be an issue.
Florida has some weight limits on the Sprinters over 8oooLbs with dual wheels for parking in some residential areas, the DOT rules also indicate some roads where a Sprinter is not allowed to travel on due to load limits on a road, it can be challenged as there are provisions for exemptions under the Florida Transport act for a permit to both park and exceed the limits on application on a case by case investigation etc. 25 dollar fee for exemption I think.
Sprinters are manufactured in both LHD and RHD they are not modified for RHD conversions, each are stand alone units totally compliant,
J wants a mega roof unit, with an overhang thats almost seven meters and its a five ton unit,with a standard 518 CDI 184 HP diesel engine with auto which is not yet available in the states , I'm not sure if she is aware its a glass roof not metal, so I don't think its for Postal use, as this would be a governmental order unless it's been contracted out.
Maybe with all of the floods! They raised the bar, and put the letter boxes on top of the trees. :smilewink:
Guess we might find out.
Richard
Hummmm' cant send these via USPS parcel post they exceed 79' in length and height and width and weight to OH! well, UPS can handle it.

Jeanne

Thank you all for your replies. I have learned a great deal. I was not aware the Mega roof was glass, do you mean fiberglass? I do not remember any mention of that in the brochures I have seen. We are interested in the Mega roof and extended cargo to allow the most possible space.

Once we install our equipment, these vehicles will be exported to various countries in Asia, which is why we require the Right Hand Drive. I have contacted the local Freightliner dealers and they are not able to supply them with RHD. I am surprised that the US dealers are not able to supply a RHD...does this make sense to all of you?

Richard...it seems you are very well versed in the logistics of import/export of Sprinters. I sent you an email directly and look forward to your reply.

Jeanne

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Jeanne
Thanks saw the email today will reply but you have created a logistic political nightmare. with Asian Pacific politics.
So I'll send the email with possible solutions as to exporting and saving on freight costs, Please note warranty is now stand alone. not available in Asia from Benz under the Trippe bilateral agreements, very complicated
Politics corruption, you name it these guys play ball hard time if you want to so bussiness in ASIA:thumbdown:
Richard

Top Bottom