Non-owner question #3: Under-floor storage

astrotower

Hello again.

Read on the Yahoo Westy group a post that mentioned storing a 7ft latter "in the tunnel," which I guess refers to the under-floor storage. Had seen other references to an under-floor storage area - would love to get an idea of how big this area is/rough dimmensions. I guess this is the area where people might put things like picnic chairs and things? Would a suit case fit? I do have the impression that, overall, storage is quite tight on the Westy.

Again, the glossy Airstream catalog does not povide any details on storage areas.

Many thanks,

Zach Woods

Hello again, Astrotower -

Let me try to tackle your question concerning the dimensions of the under-floor storage. This space is made up of several smaller spaces and it may be difficult to communicate how it is laid out via text alone. Dimensions are approximate (usually to about 1/4 - 1/2" accuracy).

In answer to the 14 foot ladder question: NO. You might be able to put a 6 foot long ladder in the under-floor storage area but even that would depend on how wide the ladder was.

The under-floor storage area in the Airstream Sprinter Westfalia starts at the step up into the kitchen and runs to the rear doors of the Sprinter (it is worth noting that the space at the rear doors is much larger in the Mercedes James Cook as the cassette toilet in that vehicle takes up much less space than the black tank in the Airstream).

At the step up into the kitchen "hallway", there is a door that can be pulled open and off completely. That door opening is roughly 15" wide (W) by 6 1/4" tall (T).

Starting at the kitchen step door, the under-floor storage space is wider than the kitchen step door opening and runs diagonally from the sliding door/ passenger side of the vehicle towards the driver's side of the vehicle. This space measures roughly 17 1/2" W by 6 1/2" T by 50" deep (D or long).

The under-kitchen-floor storage space meets a taller, roughly square space that could be called the under-bathroom-floor space as it heads towards the rear doors of the vehicle. This space measures roughly 20 3/4" W by 13 1/2" T by 22 1/2" D.

The under-bathroom-floor space meets a shallow (not very deep) rectangular space as it heads towards the rear doors of the vehicle. This space measures roughly 42 3/4" W by 13 1/2" T by 6" D. The rear doors open or courtesy light shines from the left side (from rear of vehicle) of this space.

A vertical wall separates the shallow space described above from a tall but equally shallow space to the right (from rear of vehicle) of the shallow space. This vertical shallow space includes the rear hanging closet door and the lower door into the hot water heater space (the removable propane tank space for the Mercedes James Cook). This final space measures 15 1/4" W by 64" T (full height of vehicle excluding the high roof extension) by 6" D. This space is bounded on the right by a black paper vent tube for the shore power battery charger. If you don't want to block the rear hanging closet door you can still stack things up to 24" high.

I typically place the hook up gear (water hose, power cord, sewer hose extension, etc.) in the under-kitchen floor space (with the items I want easiest access to at either end of this long space and less important items towards the center of this space. In winter I change over to ski's and can put 2 pairs of downhill and 2 pairs of cross country skis in there (and have been able to squeeze a 5th pair of telemark skis in there with effort). I have also stored a few 4 to 6 (maybe a bit longer) foot wooden tent poles (for an antique canvas tent from the 18th Century) in this space but they did stick out into the under-bathroom-floor space as well. You could store something longer if you left the step door open/ off.

I have stored two to four small folding beach chairs in the under-bathroom-floor storage area but it is worth noting that they only fit in diagonally and took up most of the space as a result. You could fit suitcases in this under-bathroom space (and small suitcases in the under-kitchen space) but my suggestion would be to use soft sided luggage (I carry two duffel bags) instead of hard (or even simply shaped) luggage. I store the duffel bags in the under-bench-seat storage box under items that I need to have more regular access to.

My ideas on additional storage are to

1. add a rear hitch swing-away storage box (and bike auto roof rack on top of that box) - a project that will have to wait for more time and money, and . . .

2. build water hose and power cord mounting capability into the recesses in the rear vehicle doors that are currently simply blocked off by the flat interior panels, and . . .

3. hang smaller/ lighter items on the rear wall of the bathroom as it faces the vehicle rear doors and on the rear hanging closet door as it faces the rear vehicle doors.

The space under the rear bench seat/ downstairs bed is pretty generous (and does not need to be emptied when the downstairs bed is used.

The space behind the rear bench seat/ downstairs bed (bed "footwell") is also good sized, but does need to be emptied or at least re-shuffled when the downstairs bed is used. I often use this as a "linen closet".

It is also possible to store clothing or linen in the upstairs bed space above the driving cab both when the upstairs bed is set up and when it is stowed away (and again, I would recommend soft sided luggage throughout).

Lots of typing . . . hope this is helpful!

Zach

dronsin

I am working up a drawing of the possible large cavites for mounting items and cabinets under the floor of a 158 inch 2500. I started with a cab chassis drawing and doing photo/dimensions. I see about 8 large areas that can be utilized for custom mounting of items like macerator pumps, custom tanks, etc.
Some may be poorly accessible, but I also have contemplated access hatches in the inside floor, like in boats.

Beginning a touring conversion from scratch. Will share drawing soon.

Dale
Dale Ronsin
dronsin@gcinc.com

Some of the contributions here are extremely valuable, and very professional. Thanks to all, and I hope to add some too.

Zach Woods

Hi Dale -

I, for one, would be very interested in what you uncover concerning additional storage options in the Sprinter.

I want to clarify for you that the underfloor storage in the Westfalia (under both the kitchen and the even higher bathroom floor) is the result of a raised floor that Westfalia installs.

When I get a chance I will look underneath the vehicle to see just how much and where MB/Westfalia have cut thru the actual Sprinter metal floor.

unik

Hello again, Astrotower -

The under-floor storage area in the Airstream Sprinter Westfalia starts at the step up into the kitchen and runs to the rear doors of the Sprinter

Zach,
Im planing to install uder floor window A/C
The A/C unit has 500wats power, the smalest I found in a market.
I use ac only during parking, when dizel is not runing
It is works well from passwindow. The only concern its looks ugly.
Any advise or concern A/C under floor? :cheers:
Nik

Attachments

BMA

Any advise or concern A/C under floor? :cheers:
Nik
Road spray. I bet the AC unit's controls and fan motors are not designed for road spray or for that matter much water getting on them. The Sprinter being a UNI body design doesn't allow cutting large holes in the side walls for vents so you will need to supply and vent the condenser air down. It will need to work harder for the same cooling amount. Also this brings it closer to the hot pavement which also leads to it needing to work harder.

Cold feet. With AC you need to extract hot air, which rises, and it returns cold air, which sinks. If both the air intakes and exhausts are at the floor, then you get cold feet and a warm head. Route the intakes and exhaust to near the roof to solve the problem.

Better yet, just get and mount an RV roof unit.

Top Bottom