Does the new 6 cylinder diesel get worse mpg than the 5 cylinder?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
This fuel variation in UK and US gallons is driving me nuts honest
we are dealing with different fuel tank capacity's as well:thinking:
OK, can we get a math expert to work this out
Mercedes-Benz has two only tanks in the Sprinters a 75 litre tank and a 100 litre tank long range tank, end of story, full stop, there are no other's OK.
However here is where the complication sets in VW Crafter has an eighty litre tank , thinking maybe the US sprinter has this switched over modification for extra fuel capacity if this makes sense.However dodge says 20 US Gallons or to be precise 19.8 US gallons
one litre, is metric there are no variations to the metric conversion of a litre in volume.
UK Gallon =4.546.09 liters----= 16.5 Imperial gallons based on 75 liters
US Gallon =3.7.85 liters --= 19.8 US gallons based on 75 liters
ON average around town on My 2005 313 CDi Manual Sprinter loaded to the max =3,5 tonne averaged out at 900 Ks not miles, Kilometers 900Ks on three consecutive trips.
Each time the vehicle was toped up it took between 70 to 72 liters per tank, based on trip readings from zero to 900Ks.
I'll settle for an average of 72 liters of ULSD fuel used for a trip recording of 900 Ks
What is your calculation for US gallons based on 3.7.85 liters per US gallon converted to MPG?
A Canadian gallon is imperial therefore based on a UK gallon it is 4.546.09 liters exact = one imperial Canadian gallon.
The Canadian site for Dodge says 20 gallons as its a US configured Sprinter this means its 20 US gallon capacity there is no difference in the two with the exception of gallons versus liters. Versus US and imperial gallons.

Unit Conversions
Fuel quality varies, road and load conditions vary, engine size ! a 313CDi Versus a 414 CDi !! it can't return the same millage figures, that's impossible.
Three possiable fuel returns CDB Urban and Hi=way will return different mileage.
combine light traffic with both urban and hi-way plus CDB will return will also return an Urban figure providing the roads are flat
I know we have been through this before but something just does not ring true.
Richard Very confused:thinking:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
May I throw a spanner in the works...?!

Mercedes-Benz only claims the smaller factory tank to be "approximately 75 litres".

I can verify that I've squeezed over 80 litres into mine on a few occasions. 82litres on one!

So, you're observation that VW use an 80 litres tank is an interesting one: are they infact one and the same?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
mean and green how about a real name man that mean green name goes a mile:clapping:
Yes VW Crafters had the eighty litre tank as it outsold the Sprinters for Sprinters for the German Spanish freight companies, thinking your in Belgium so maybe this is a standard for your geographic locations.
its worth thinking about as you say 82 liters an eighty litre tank matches VW crafters bigger tank and three liters in the lines and pumps is possiable I think, not 100% sure what the lines hold , but there you go, there is no way it could hold an extra seven liters in the Lines.
Another interesting point Mercedes does say there is a reserve capacity in the tanks once the yellow fuel lights comes on full time, but it does not say what the extra capacity of fuel is? or I have never been able to find out, so we have another mystery.to a hot thread
Richard
PS Crafters and Mercedes are built on the same line the older Crafters were like Dodge a re badge but with extra toys as an incentive to buy VW Crafters and they are popular

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
As far as the amount of fuel left once the fuel light comes on is concerned...

When your fuel gauge needle is bang on the last quarter mark, you've safely got 70 miles left in it. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I ran mine dry once by pushing it just over that mark. I carry extra fuel now, although it's illegal in most european countries.

What I do is switch the 'mileage' to 'trip' at that needle mark. I'm usually on the motorway, so it's helpful to have that as a reference point.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I have not run out but i swear its running on fumes , the light is not that reliable, quite often it comes when its been parked on a sharp angle and if you don't turn the engine off and restart the gauge wont reset itself like you fuel,is expensive even here it keeps going up and has now hit a AU $1.31.9 litre
It happens
Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I have not run out but i swear its running on fumes , the light is not that reliable, quite often it comes when its been parked on a sharp angle and if you don't turn the engine off and restart the gauge wont reset itself like you fuel,is expensive even here it keeps going up and has now hit a AU $1.31.9 litre
It happens
Richard
I should have done a spell check:thinking:
The light is not that reliable, quite often it comes when its been parked on a sharp angle:bash:
Should have said comes on! When its been parked on an angle:lol:
I need a to take a break and have a Kit-Kat.
Richard

Dewey

I just bought a brand new 3.0. So far, 17mpg with 70mph on the highway. About 700 miles on it. I hope it gets better!! (With high roof and A/C)

It has the 4.10 gears, I'm thinking of swapping them out if I don't see any improvement in a year.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
1 wife and 1 kid, and me. "Family van" :thumbup:
No mods or additions to the van.

Thanks. We join you in your hope for better fuel economy. It's not an encouraging beginning.

Does your speedo register higher than actual speed? In the "former" Sprinters, the speedo at 70 would represent actual speed of 65 or 66.

Dewey

Not sure about the speed. The dial will show 70 while the digital read-out on the dash will say about 2mph less.

bbirdxx2000

Holy-crap:wtf: , I click on to this topic daily and yet no one has answered the question

So being in U.S. gallons Diesel vs. diesel:thinking: empty vs. empty. Approximetly the same highway speed 65-70 vs. 65-70 a.c. off. could someone please give a direct and smple answer.

2002-2006 cargo van vs 2007 cargo van what is the differance in MPG:professor: :thinking: . Somebody on this planet must have traded up:smirk:

Holy-crap:wtf: , I click on to this topic daily and yet no one has answered the question

So being in U.S. gallons Diesel vs. diesel:thinking: empty vs. empty. Approximetly the same highway speed 65-70 vs. 65-70 a.c. off. could someone please give a direct and smple answer.

2002-2006 cargo van vs 2007 cargo van what is the differance in MPG:professor: :thinking: . Somebody on this planet must have traded up:smirk:
Did a BUNCH of looking around for this and here's what I found.
Called Mercedes Intl and spoke to a service tech who actually pulled up the beta sheet for me. A long distance call rendered the following:
They have found a 10.8% decrease in fuel economy over the lower powerband, and about 14.3% in the upper. Unfortunately they didnt have the information regarding what those "bands" would be.
Unfortunately, he also confirmed that this motor does NOT like biodiesel (anything more than B20 is a no-no). They recommend nothing more than 05% specifically for this motor.
Maybe they need to offer both a 4 cyl and 6 cyl diesel system?

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Did a BUNCH of looking around for this and here's what I found.
Called Mercedes Intl and spoke to a service tech who actually pulled up the beta sheet for me. A long distance call rendered the following:
They have found a 10.8% decrease in fuel economy over the lower powerband, and about 14.3% in the upper. Unfortunately they didnt have the information regarding what those "bands" would be.
Unfortunately, he also confirmed that this motor does NOT like biodiesel (anything more than B20 is a no-no). They recommend nothing more than 05% specifically for this motor.
Maybe they need to offer both a 4 cyl and 6 cyl diesel system?
Maybe they need to offer both a 4 cylinder 6 cyl diesel system?
With fuel at four and a half Quid plus in UK and Europe . there has always been the four cylinders with six power chips options. most sprinters use the lower powerband option for econamy.
DCX gives two V6 options Gas and Diesel.
Its a HP race to see who can get to the 70 MPH limiter mark first:thumbup:
in the U.S
Tacographs is the go for Europe but optional. besides you play with fooling it, too.
B20 is now the norm in main stream Europe, not sure about the UK?
The V6 was designed for this fuel so its not a problem.
DCX states B5 on the older Sprinter, However I have no idea what the Dodge manual states on the new V6 as to bio fuels past B5, as this is still in contention with D-B because of the Quality aspects of US fuels, B10 should not be an issue if it has the ULSD content.
Richard.

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I'd challenge DCX on that, as the V6 was specifically designed for Bio fuels way past B5 , its the same engine in Europe, as in the States,
This will be interesting as to both Diesel fuels being used Winter [Not Recommended] Summer no additives, unless its BP or Shell! LSD versus ULSD , and only a B5 option:crazy: which was set back on the 5 in-line back in 1998, LSD.
I can see big time complaints on the forum coming in on this, in the near future.
Richard

I'd challenge DCX on that, as the V6 was specifically designed for Bio fuels way past B5 , its the same engine in Europe, as in the States,
This will be interesting as to both Diesel fuels being used Winter [Not Recommended] Summer no additives, unless its BP or Shell! LSD versus ULSD , and only a B5 option:crazy: which was set back on the 5 in-line back in 1998, LSD.
I can see big time complaints on the forum coming in on this, in the near future.
Richard
Big complaints...yes. I've determined that I will be looking for an earlier generation Sprinter due to this information.:bash:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Richard
Big complaints...yes. I've determined that I will be looking for an earlier generation Sprinter due to this information.:bash:

I'm not canceling my 2007 order based on this information. I'm confident in my research, which included forum postings, the known and unseen risks of first-year releases in North America, etc, etc. Is it entirely comfortable? No. Is it a reasonable choice for me? Yes. I like the upgraded brakes. I like the service materials - not the service log book, but the tech manuals - and even though there are some things that bother me about the architecture, I think it's an improvement over previous models. I'm backing my typing with my money because it's the right decision for me. Everyone gets to make their choices. I support seeking older models. I support buying '07s and I support waiting for '08 in the hopes of 4x4 options and electric sliding doors.

The most important thing - in my view - is the continued flow of information so everyone can make an informed decision... and not end up with a 22A or 24A package when they really expected a 22B or 24B.

-Jon

Top Bottom