2017 Cargo 144 4x4 Power Steering Failure

montanamike

Hello Sprinter Expert,

We just had a major winter storm. Last night I was driving around town in 4x4 mode. I got my van momentarily stuck in the snow a when reversing out of a parking area into berm created by the snow plow.

I was able to free the van using a quick combination of reverse / forward driving. however, now my power steering appears to be failing.

I initially thought the wheel wells were packed with snow and ice, but upon inspection the wheels and axles appears to be clean and free of snow. No warning messages on the dashboard.

it's sunday, new year's eve and all repair shops in my small town are closed. I have a 400 mile road trip tomorrow. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated. My apologies if I have posted this to the incorrect thread or forum. Thanks! Mike

98Firebird

Have you checked the power steering fluid level? The factory has a bad habit of leaving the hose clamp loose at the bottom of the power steering reservoir and may have leaked some fluid out. I would start there and inspect for any other leaks.

Another possibility is that the serpentine belt got wet. That could affect your power steering for a time.

vic

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Hello Sprinter Expert,

We just had a major winter storm. Last night I was driving around town in 4x4 mode. I got my van momentarily stuck in the snow a when reversing out of a parking area into berm created by the snow plow.

I was able to free the van using a quick combination of reverse / forward driving. however, now my power steering appears to be failing.

I initially thought the wheel wells were packed with snow and ice, but upon inspection the wheels and axles appears to be clean and free of snow. No warning messages on the dashboard.

it's sunday, new year's eve and all repair shops in my small town are closed. I have a 400 mile road trip tomorrow. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated. My apologies if I have posted this to the incorrect thread or forum. Thanks! Mike
We need to know what the symptoms are.

montanamike

Thanks everyone! I checked the power steering reservoir and it is bone dry. This is a newer van with less than 10k miles. I bought some generic power steering fluid that claims to be compatible with all makes and models since I could not find the MB recommended fluid.

Any concerns deviating from MB specified fluid? Surprised I don’t see any warnings associated with the malfunction.

98Firebird

I think you should be fine with universal power steering fluid. May be a good idea to bring the van in to a dealer when you get a chance and have a power steering fluid exchange done for the mb fluid. The dealer should be able to take care of the leak/exchange in the correct fluid under warranty.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The power steering fluid should not have gone "bone dry" for a decade (or more).
You really need to locate the real fault.

--dick (whose power steering fluid level hasn't dropped appreciably in 12 years)
((unlike his old Nissan Stanza Wagon which went through a quart in a week... until i changed out the entire PS rack...))

montanamike

Thanks again for the prompt replies. After filling the reservoir I see now the pressure hose has come completely unseated. I am wiping up the mess and reattaching.

ktm805

I had the hose come off my 2015 4x4 as well on a cold night. All the suggested power steering fluids by Mercedes were ether red or no produced anymore The fluid that came out of it was a light brown. It was a real **** around and I ended up having them tow it to the dealership to add there fluid.

Any concerns deviating from MB specified fluid? Surprised I don’t see any warnings associated with the malfunction.
Any decent quality PS fluid should be fine.

This is a Fluids canned response

Power Steering Fluid

The history of what is the PROPER power steering fluid in the Sprinter is long and ugly. The NAFTA 2003 Operator Manual mentions Mopar ATF+4. My 2004 Dodge manual lists MB 341.0 or synthetic ATF III. The BEVO list includes a number of MB 236.X suggestions as of this writing. Because so many different products have been listed over the years I say it must not make much difference as to what is actually used. One thread is here.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23006

I have used Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak on my 2004 Sprinter with good results. It has now been over 80,000 100,000+ miles since I added it.

There are some comments and at least one additional Lucas user in this thread.
Clunk, Clunk. Ball Joint or Rack n Pinion?
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=201461#post201461

BEVO North American MB236.3 choice: After searching I conclude that a dealership is the easiest source FOR APPROVED FLUID if that is what you want.
I don't believe that there is any monitoring of the power steering system. When problems occur lack of response is pretty obvious to the operator.

vic

Top Bottom