Hidden Hitch for 140 w/ rear step bumper

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I had the option of ordering a Curt or one the many Cequent made tow hitches. There's a lot of confusion regarding the rear step bumper. Apparently the Sprinter has two types. The gray plastic covered rear step bumper and the diamond plate rear step bumper.

The Curt tow hitch has two versions. A class III and a Class IV. If I was choosing, I would go for the Class IV because they both require drilling the frame.

I didn't want to drill the frame so I opted for the Hidden Hitch model 87647 which is designed for the 140 and 158 with the rear step bumper and NOT the diamond plated steel bumper or the 118 wheelbase Sprinter. It's a class III.

The Hidden Hitch 87647 is the same as the Reese 33089 and the Draw-Tite 75210. They're all made by Cequent and labeled differently. Shop around for any of the three for the best price+shipping+tax. They're all the same. The install instruction manual even has the three part numbers, but it does not list the three brands.

View attachment HitchN87647.pdf

I got the hitch for $156.99 from JC Whitney when they were a having free shipping offer if ordering over $100. The did charge me $7 because it was an oversized item.

Be careful that you DO NOT order the Hidden Hitch model 87646. It's obsolete. Most vendors have a note to not sell the 87646, but it's best to make sure.

Driver's side view.
IMGP0016.JPG
Each side of vehicle has four bolts that mount hitch to frame rails (Hidden Hitch p/n: 87647).

Hitch mounts outside the frame rails.
IMGP0018.JPG
Step bumper mounts inside of the frame rails.

hitch.jpg
Here's what it looks like installed.

It's a tight fit, but a very good quality hitch. I'm happy that I didn't have to drill anything. It's strictly a bolt-on hitch.

Last edited:

Scott B

Do you still have the JC Whitney part# ? I checked there site and they don't list the Dodge Sprinter, I did find a listing for Freightliner however it was priced at $138.99 so I am not sure if it is the correct hitch.

thanks
Scott

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Hidden Hitch p/n: 87647
JCWhitney p/n: ZX279853

I did a search at the site using the 87647 and got the JCW p/n. I think they're still having the free shipping sale.

Curt Class III: 13250
Curt Class IV: 14250

If you do a search for 13250 or 14250, you'll find the Curt hitches on JCW. If you're going for the Curt hitch for $138.99, you'll need to drill according to other sites that I have seen selling the Curt Class III. You might as well go for the Class IV if you're going to drill.

That's really not a bad price with free shipping. They'll probably tack on $7 because it's a big item.

Let us know how it goes,
Seek

acvr4

Just check out the hitches on JC Whitney and they are the same hitch part number 2003 - 2006
Freightliner
Sprinter (exc. 118" Wheelbase)
Rating Code M, Wiring: Power Converter Class III Receiver Hitch ZX279853 Each $149.99
Free shipping through today from what's posted but if anything over $75 gets free shipping.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
What are the load & tongue weight ratings?
Class III: 500lb tongue, 5000lb load. With weight distribution, it's 750lb tongue, 7500lb load.

The Hidden Hitch is Class III. Only the Curt has the Class III and IV. I debated going for the Curt Class IV and drilling holes.

acvr4

So any problems with your hitch so far?
I stopped in at my local auto parts guy to price out a hitch and they sell the Curt's. From them it's about $200 and if I go JCW it's cheaper. But I don't see why I'd need the class 4. It's rated for more that what the Sprinter could handle. So I'm leaning towards the Hidden Hitch they sell. It's on sale $139.99 + free hitch lock & tote. They currently have free shipping too. So I'm going to go for that one unless someone can give a reason to go for the heavier rated Curt hitch :thinking:

Oh one other thing I have a extended platform bumper and don't know of there is going to be any problems. ? Anyone have this bumper with a hitch?

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I had no problems using it this way...

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543

...roughly 300lbs worth of leverage.

So I'm going to go for that one unless someone can give a reason to go for the heavier rated Curt hitch :thinking:
Another thing to think about is if you go for the lighter duty Class III Curt, you still have to drill.

Oh one other thing I have a extended platform bumper and don't know of there is going to be any problems. ? Anyone have this bumper with a hitch?
If you're talking about the diamond plated extended bumper, you might have a problem. If you have the gray plastic bumper like the one pictured above, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Seek

acvr4

Humm Diamond plated? I recall a plastic diamond plated bumper but mine is a bit different. I just went out to look at it and it might not work like that:idunno:
Well it would be the Hidden Hitch or the Curt Class 4. I like the idea of not having to drill anything but that's not a problem.

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
That's the metal step bumper. I've seen them with the aluminum diamond plate that looks like this...

images.jpg

With that step bumper, the hitch won't work. :idunno:

Seek

acvr4

Hey Seek,
How far does your receiver stick out from the back? Possible side shot ?

Thanks,
Andy

sikwan

06 Tin Can
How far does your receiver stick out from the back? Possible side shot ?
Not more than 6 3/4 inches.
DSCF0112.JPG

Not more than 1 3/4 inches.
DSCF0116.JPG

Real close to the spare and its mount, but it does not touch.
DSCF0115.JPG
Hmmm, I should actually check whether the spare mount hits the hitch when lowering. :thinking:

Seek

Farm Bus

I'm a new guy here and this is my first attempt at a reply. I have the same bumper and am about to get a hitch. did yours come with wiring? If not, what did you do? Was it hard? I'm a competent mechanic, but the thought of breaking into a German wiring harness terrifies me (I totally rebuilt a BMW 2002, so I know of what I speak!)

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I'm a new guy here and this is my first attempt at a reply. I have the same bumper and am about to get a hitch. did yours come with wiring? If not, what did you do? Was it hard? I'm a competent mechanic, but the thought of breaking into a German wiring harness terrifies me (I totally rebuilt a BMW 2002, so I know of what I speak!)
For me, I just got the hitch and have no wiring. I use it mainly to carry a dirt bike. When it comes time to tow something, I'll wire something up. I'm not too bashful when it comes to electrical stuff. I don't think German electrical principals differ from Americans. :smirk:

I know a few here have done it. One person has complained about hooking up a Prodigy brake controller, but he fixed it using a diode. Without looking at the problem myself, I couldn't tell you how the diode fixed the isolation/loading issue.

Seek

RoveRPh

Check out this ebay auction: Item number: 200100504034. I've got one coming, should be here any day. Looks like a good solution at a good price. I'll post more once I get it installed. Might not be a while since the snowstorm and now yard cleanup:thumbdown:

stp57

I ordered the Hidden Hitch from JCWhitney. It looks quite different than the Draw-Tite & cost a little more. The Draw-Tite has a straight bar, whereas the Hidden Hitch is curved out like yours in the photos. I don't know if that really makes a difference or not?
Steve

I installed the Whitney hitch with no problem but a third hand and a tapered drift makes it easier.
The spare clears by an inch.
I discovered that you need a scissor jack to get the spare back up into position due to its weight and the tray securing bolts not being long enough for the hooks to engage without the tire being pushed firmly upwards!!!!

I bought Whitney's trailer lighting adapter which uses the tail light functions as triggers but get power directly from the battery. Also I think Doktor A posted something about MIL codes due to improper lamp sizes (over/under current?).

Bob

vkr

I just called JC Whitney and asked them about the Curt Class 4 receiver (Item ZX284474) and they told me that it does not require drilling. Does anyone know for sure that is does not require drilling?

Thanks in advance,
Viktor

Top Bottom