Better right-side mirror

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Re: Parabolic mirror installation

Wow (MB p/n: 5103760AA), I think I'm going to have to do this. :)

Seek

trsfa

Am I correct in assuming that the replacement mirror is a parabolic type that fits into the existing housing?

Zach Woods

Hello trsfa -

Yes, the replacement mirror is a parabolic type that fits into the existing housing.

The write-up found via the link is pretty thorough and includes great pictures.

Check it out!

Zach

Last edited:

Zach Woods

An additional Daimler-Chrysler parts mirror solution:

Parabolic mirrors from Dodge that can be mounted on the top of the existing stock mirrors. This is apparently a pretty straightforward job -takes about 40 minutes.

These "piggyback" mirrors are said to make rear-ward visibility much better while helping to eliminate blind spots.

Part numbers from Dodge: B 66560397 (drivers side) and B 66560398
(pass. side).

Instructions and screws are included. You'll need 1/8" and 5/32"
drill bits, a drill, and an appropriate size (T20) Torx driver.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Apparently, the parabolic mirror to replace the right stock one here in San Jose are going for $97.41 for p/n: 5103760AA.

A far cry from the quoted $60, but I'm still getting it. :smilewink:

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Note that DC also has a parabolic mirror that fits in the standard frame for either the right or left side. Those mirrors are less costly and do not require the additional work to attach. In addition, I find that existing mirrors are sufficiently large to put decent size glue-on parabolics from AutoZone, etc. that serve the purpose just fine. I tried three sizes on mine, ending up with the 5x3 which fit right across the botton of the standard mirror.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Note that DC also has a parabolic mirror that fits in the standard frame for either the right or left side. Those mirrors are less costly and do not require the additional work to attach.
HKPierce:

Which mirrors are you talking about?

I already have the ones that mount on top of the big side mirrors. I find that I look at the top parabolic mirror (right side) more often than I do for the bottom rectangular non-parabolic one. I find the bottom one almost useless for the right side.

Thanks,
Seek

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
DC has a replacement mirror for both right and left that replaces the standard flat mirror. I first heard of the right mirror on YahooSprinterVan. Then I dumb-lucked into the left one when I couldn't figure out which of two numbers given in the parts catalog - and blind picked what turned out to be a convex replacement, when I needed to replace a broken left mirror. The number for this left convex mirror is 5103758AA [cost in 7/2006 $45.84].

The first picture is of the left replacement mirror that is slightly convex - compare with the second picture of the right mirror that is flat. The car in the left mirror is actually 30 feet closer than the car in the right mirror.

Also note the Auto Zone large convex that cross the full bottom part of the mirrors.

Attachments

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
DC has a replacement mirror for both right and left that replaces the standard flat mirror. I first heard of the right mirror on YahooSprinterVan. Then I dumb-lucked into the left one when I couldn't figure out which of two numbers given in the parts catalog - and blind picked what turned out to be a parabolic replancement, when I needed to replace a broken left mirror.
And this is different from the mirror posted in the first message? :idunno:

Also, did you replacement mirrors come with the vertical line like the mirror in the first message?

Thanks,
Seek

ps. Do you have a part number for those mirrors?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Mirror Left.jpg

I notice that your mirror arms are plastic coated and are integrated to the mirror. Does it limit the amount of adjustments possible? I wonder when they made the change to metal tubes?

Zach Woods

Hello Seek -

I also have the integrated plastic mirrors on my Sprinter. My guess is that the integrated plastic ones, like mine, are electrically adjustable from within the cab while the metal bar mounted ones are only manually adjustable by hand out the window.

Does that match with your experience?

Mine adjust quite well electrically and then can be adjusted to either 2 or 3 positions manually as well as can be knocked forward or backward, if I remember correctly, when something strikes them, and then pushed back into the correct positions by hand.

Zach

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Hi Zach:

Mine swivels at the door mount and at the mirror.
IMGP0005.JPG
And I can adjust them electrically from inside the cab. :idunno:

Seek

Zach Woods

Hi Seek -

Remind me what year (and month if we get that far) your vehicle is. I am guessing that mine is older (given that RV's are classically on chassis a year before the RV build date).

Do you have heated mirrors? I do, maybe that is the difference.

Zach

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Remind me what year (and month if we get that far) your vehicle is. I am guessing that mine is older (given that RV's are classically on chassis a year before the RV build date).

Do you have heated mirrors? I do, maybe that is the difference.
Zach:

Mine was ordered in October '05 and delivered in March '06 and it has the heating elements.

Might not even matter if it was cargo or passenger because the picture in the Main page of the Sprinter-Wiki has your mirrors and the front grille (painted grille surround) is from the latest model of the old design. :thinking:

Seek

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
I think in MB livery the 216 comes with the plastic encased arms and the 316 comes with the metal bars.
My guess is that for the US version they wanted to cut down on Spares so they standardized on the metal bar.

Just like the head- and tail-lights, where I'm guessing DC didn't want to go though DOT approval for the new in 2002 style clear polycarbonate front and the red/white rear.
Instead all US versions have the pre 2002 Sprinter look as far as front and rear lights are concerned. Glass headlights with diffuser and red/orange/white taillights.

Cheers
George

Zach Woods

Hi George -

This is interesting. My Sprinter is an Airstream Sprinter Westfalia. It is fully assembled and completed in Germany (with some minor camper "upfits" - read as screw-ups - applied by Airstream in Florida). So this could fit what you describe below - ie the mirrors were put on in Europe and there was no pressure to make them fit the US standard.

Do you know what the differences are between the 316 and 216 off-hand? I ask because I am pretty certain that my Westfalia is the 316 as, I believe, are all of the North American spec Sprinters.

Could be that in Europe you have more mirror options on all of the different models.

Does anyone who does not have a Westfalia (in the US) have the plastic armed mirrors? It sounds like hkpierce does and he has a passenger Sprinter.

Zach

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Here's something to add to the mix. I was out driving the van today and noticed that if it wasn't for the elongated metal arm type for the right side, I would not be able to adjust it enough to see the upper pods because the A-pillar would get in the way.

My hunch is if the parabolic mirror pods were ordered during the build, you will get the metal arms, otherwise you will get the plastic arms.

I did some scanning on Ebay and sure enough the ones with the parabolic mirror pods on top had the metal arms whereas the ones with no pods have plastic arms. :thumbup:

Seek

ps. I think if you have parabolic mirror pods with the plastic arms, it was added afterwards.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Guys
Just a little bit of useless information, regarding the two types of mirrors
The one with the metal arms were meant for cab chassis units for the wider custom bodies as they were extendable ,where the normal ones were not, of which limited your rear view on the wider bodies.
I have included photo of a local unit to give you an idea as to how effective the long arm units work with a Camper configuration as our units can be eight foot wide in width allowance for road use.
Richard
DSC00031 (Large).jpg

Attachments

Top Bottom