Partition: Adrian Steel vs. Ranger

ducsingle

I'm trying to decide between an Adrian Steel and a Ranger partition for my 2005 118 tall cargo with dual sliding doors.

The Adrian Steel is about $500; is formed from heavy gauge steel; has performations in the streetside, center, and curbside panels for better visibility; and the center panel is hinged.

The Ranger is more than $1000; is formed from aluminum; lacks perforations; and the center panel slides.

Both are available with a rearward offset for more cab space, and they both seem like high quality products.

I like the sliding door on the Ranger product as it can be opened without the door intruding into the cargo space. However, I'm not sure that's worth an extra $500. Plus rear visibility is better with the Adrian Steel product due to the perforations. And my guess is if there was a bad collision, the Adrian Steel product would offer more protection against motorcycles flying into the cab than the aluminum Ranger product.

Any other pros and cons?

Hoppingmad

I don't see a brand on my slider. Might be factory, has the jump seat on it. It seems quite sturdy, and keeps most of the cargo area noise out. I like the noise out feature!!!!!!

The concept of rearward offset sounds nice. Might look into moving mine back, and then putting in those reclining Chry 300 seats. I like the idea of reclining for a travel nap. (parked of course)

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
I don't like any of the aftermarket partitions. For my needs, it's a cargo van, I need every bit of the room for cargo. The aftermarket wall reduces width of access to the sliders The OEM wall does maximize cargo space, (albeit at the expense of the full motion of the front seats:frown:) and are often for sale here and there as many remove them. Save your money and pick up a used one? These companies did not rethink anything on their partitions. They took the same designs for their exisiting products suitable for Ford Chevy and (old style) Dodge, and made them taller. Their shelves are no better, a ton of dead space. Big money too:rolleyes:.

If I had anything big in the back and was to be involved in an accident, I'd have a lot more faith in the factory wall to keep me safe. Thing is solid! Of course, if you simply have to have access to the rear without exiting the vehicle (you have dual sliders....I'd think it would be physically easier to get in the back by exiting out the drivers door and hopping in the side, no?) then well, you'll need to go aftermarket. That is unless you want to give up the passenger seat:eek: for a FedEx / UPS type set up

:2cents::2cents:

ducsingle

Good points on the post above, but I need interior access to the cargo area because (1) my dog enters and exits the van from the side sliders and sits between the front seats and (2) I'm installing a 2-person rear bench seat, and having a partition without a door would be really weird/creepy.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
AH, completely different application...

Sounds like, why bother with the partition at all?

ducsingle

Sounds like, why bother with the partition at all?
Several reasons. . . .

I occassionally transport motorcycles in the back, and I don't like the idea of being crushed between the dashboard and a motorcycle if I'm involved in a bad collision.

Less need to run the AC with a smaller cab volume.

Potentially less noise transfer from the back to the rear. This is debatable, and the partition itself might make some noises, so maybe a wash.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Several reasons. . . .

I occassionally transport motorcycles in the back, and I don't like the idea of being crushed between the dashboard and a motorcycle if I'm involved in a bad collision.

Less need to run the AC with a smaller cab volume.

Potentially less noise transfer from the back to the rear. This is debatable, and the partition itself might make some noises, so maybe a wash.
Good reasons, especially the crushing one:smilewink:

The noise, unless the partition is solid, there will be no bonus there.

glasseye

The noise, unless the partition is solid, there will be no bonus there.
I've driven two Sprinters (both T1N and NCV3) with factory, doorless partitions. Unbelievably noisy. The partition wall is a big, resonant drum skin. Laminated with 3/4" plywood and/or thick carpet, it might be better.

J

johnny3435

There are a few differences:
Ranger- more money, but higher quality and looks sharper (clean aluminum, not painted). Solid, no perforations- nice for cooling down the cab and keeping out noise.

Adrian- less money, but painted steel which will rust at the bottom over time (I used to install Adrian shelving). The perforations will let more noise in the cab, too. You can get it in solid panels if you want. One question- is this the sliding doors or the swing door? Seems a little cheap for the sliders.

Adrian is not a bad choice, don't get me wrong. But Ranger is just plain a better product. If you're keeping your van for 2 years, the Adrian might be the better way to go. But if you're going to hold on to it for a while, then Ranger might be better.

I have a Fedex unit set up with pictures of the Ranger sliding door partition installed. If you'd like pictures I'd be happy to send them to you so you can see it up close!

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Based on my limited experience, at least as noisy as a hollow cargo area. It blocks nothing, yet creates its own.
haha...must have been one of those cheap(ly built) Adrian Steel or Ranger units:smilewink:

(truth be told, I'm not familiar with the Ranger brand)

Hey ducsingle, why not pick up a couple of the nice front "roll in" wheel chocks they make for bikes? Less money. I'd say a properly secured bike is safer than the wall?

Last edited:

ducsingle

I decided to go with the Adrian Steel product over the Ranger, partially due to cost, and partially because the Ranger doesn't come stock with perforations and would limit visibility to the right rear.

Note the Adrian Steel Sprinter partition is only available with a hinged door (no slider) - - - that's only an option on other Adrian Steel partitions (Ford and Chevy vans). I'd prefer a sliding door, but the hinged door isn't a dealbreaker for my needs.

Unfortunately, when I got the big box home from the Adrian Steel distributor, I discovered they had sold me the wrong partition - - - no hinged door. This is after an extremely long wait for the sales guy to figure out what was supposed to be the correct part number and the warehouse guys to check inventory. The store is a 40 minute drive away, so I'm going to request a free install on the correct partition when I take this one back. Or a big discount on the correct partition and probably some wheel well cabinets

Re the comment about the Adrian Steel partition rusting at the bottom. I'm surprised the partition isn't powdercoated from the factory, but it appears to be regular paint. It would be relatively inexpensive to have the partition powdercoated or sprayed with truck bed liner.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Unfortunately, when I got the big box home from the Adrian Steel distributor, I discovered they had sold me the wrong partition - - - no hinged door. This is after an extremely long wait for the sales guy to figure out what was supposed to be the correct part number and the warehouse guys to check inventory. I'm surprised the partition isn't powdercoated from the factory, but it appears to be regular paint. It would be relatively inexpensive to have the partition powdercoated or sprayed with truck bed liner.
I think after all that I'd either return the p.o.s. all together, or make them ship the correct center portion to you.

...Knuckleheads:bash:

As for the low budget finish, I'd bet the paint is directly over bare steel...not even primed. That thing would make a decent ramp for the bike's you're loading.....:laughing:

Last edited:

ducsingle

A quick follow up to my earlier post regarding missing hardware from my Adrian Steel partition kit.

The distributor sent me the hinge kit via UPS. Unfortunately, I discovered a large number of other fasteners were missing from the main kit. Also, the top sheetmetal piece did not fit properly in my 118 tall. More specifically, the top sheetmetal piece interfered with the roof and would need to be trimmed in order for the mounting holes to line up properly. Additionally, the left and right most mounting holes in the top sheetmetal piece aren't anywhere close to the factory holes, so additional holes would need to be drilled in the Sprinter to accomodate those.

With sufficient time and chasing of parts at my local hardware store, I could make the kit work. However, at a cost of more than $500, I don't think it's too much to expect that the kit would be a relatively plug-and-play installation.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed with the Adria Steel partition kit, and it will be returned to the distributor for a refund. Unfortunately, there is no refund for the several hours of wasted time I have spent dealing with these issues.

ducsingle

I e-mailed the Adrian Steel distributor about returning my partition. I got the following response:

========================================
I spoke with the shop manager and explained to him the frustration you are having with this piece. He told me that on these particular partitions they always had to adjust or modify the installation to make it work. So if you would like to return the part for a full refund that is fine or we could put it on for you for a small fee of $116.25 with a 3-year warranty included (NO EXTRA CHARGE)

At this point I'm going to return it. It's not rocket science to design a partition that fits reasonably well without a lot of futzing around, but apparently Adrian Steel isn't up to the task.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
I e-mailed the Adrian Steel distributor about returning my partition. I got the following response:

I spoke with the shop manager and explained to him the frustration you are having with this piece. He told me that on these particular partitions they always had to adjust or modify the installation to make it work. So if you would like to return the part for a full refund that is fine or we could put it on for you for a small fee of $116.25 with a 3-year warranty included (NO EXTRA CHARGE)

At this point I'm going to return it. It's not rocket science to design a partition that fits reasonably well without a lot of futzing around, but apparently Adrian Steel isn't up to the task.
Three year warrantee? What a joke What can go wrong with it? And if it does, think of the hoops YOU have to jump through to get it "serviced" or replaced.

shop lackey said:
He told me that on these particular partitions they always had to adjust or modify the installation to make it work
Did he tell YOU that when you ordered the POS?? They should have offered free installation for your trouble, nothing less. I tried to warn you...

bstcpext

2005 118 Low Roof
Sorry to see 118 the trouble you had with the Adrian supplier. Had one put in my 118 five years ago. First for cargo delivery then during RV conversion. Since I'm up north I pull the door and right partition during fair weather months and reinstall during the winter to improve heating in the cab and RV part during the winter.

Top Bottom