We Don't Need No Stinking Tiny Screen!

bikerjoe

Among the many "tools" in my 2004 Sprinter 2500 cab are a full-blown Windows XP PC and a 19" flat-panel monitor, mounted to the floor on a modified support arm. The arm, which cost about $135.00, was disassembled and rebuild with the top portion and support spring reversed, so the arm would support the monitor in the proper position! The totally useless cup holder was removed, and the mounting points were employed to support the unit. This monitor is used as a BIG screen GPS unit with Microsoft Streets & Trips 2007, a mobile office using QuickBooks and of course, a handy Net surfer via a Verizon wireless PC Card. Fortunately I am LEFT-handed, so a Logitech trackball mounted to the door panel allows for easy cursor manipulation. Hey, I spend more time in my truck than in my own home. My cab is completely utilitarian!

looks cool,

was it difficult to put in?

gerry

QUOTE=bikerjoe;5536]Among the many "tools" in my 2004 Sprinter 2500 cab are a full-blown Windows XP PC and a 19" flat-panel monitor, mounted to the floor on a modified support arm. The arm, which cost about $135.00, was disassembled and rebuild with the top portion and support spring reversed, so the arm would support the monitor in the proper position! The totally useless cup holder was removed, and the mounting points were employed to support the unit. This monitor is used as a BIG screen GPS unit with Microsoft Streets & Trips 2007, a mobile office using QuickBooks and of course, a handy Net surfer via a Verizon wireless PC Card. Fortunately I am LEFT-handed, so a Logitech trackball mounted to the door panel allows for easy cursor manipulation. Hey, I spend more time in my truck than in my own home. My cab is completely utilitarian!

[/QUOTE]

bikerjoe

Oh, if anyone is thinking of doing the same, you should know that Mercedes, the maker of fine automobiles with quality unmatched anywhere, mounted the cup holder by RANDOMLY drilling four hols into the floor through the bottom of the cup holder. There is no pattern, and no template. The FIRST mount plate I made was accurate. Then I realized that the actual holes were higher, lower, farther to the left or right ... I had to place a piece of cardboard over them and poke through with a pen, to locate the ACTUAL position of the four mounting points. I guess this is what they mean by "cutting corners." :bash:

bikerjoe

looks cool,

was it difficult to put in? - gerry
Not at all. The cup holder is mounted to threaded nut-serts. Simply removing the four metric bolts and lifting the cup holder leaves four threaded fittings in the floor pan. Simply locate the exact position of YOUR four mounting points and bolt whatever you wish to them. The floor is SOLID at this point. no worries about flexing here!

Note: Please REMOVE the image links when quoting a post, so the images are not reposted again and again. Thanks!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
My cab is completely utilitarian!
I love it.

When you were designing it, what engineering measures did you consider/take to assure uncomplicated airbag deployment?

I am definitely going to pursue something similar.

Very cool.

bikerjoe

the monitor is not in the way of either air bag. I do have to reach around and under it to change the radio station though!

bikerjoe

Moderator, should this thread ALSO be moved to the pictures forum? I'd do it, but I don't know how!

bikerjoe

Well, that is interesting, but I had a laptop in my sprinter and I found that the screen hinge cannot take the punishment of constant movement and shock. I broke two hinges using a laptop. The weight of the screen creates too much inertia when going over a speed bump or a pothole, and the small hinges (intended for steady, still support on someone's LAP) suffer and eventually break. Also, the footprint of a laptop is larger in a small cab than my 19" monitor with a tower in a separate location. I'm saving up for a touch screen, so I can ditch the trackball!

stp57

Keep us up on your progress Joe. Down the road I'll want to do something like this & it will save me alot of money learning from others trial & errors. Thanks.
Steve

bikerjoe

I spent part of the day searching for a power source that is controlled by the ignition key. I want to hook up a single relay, and branch off of that for things like the battery bank relays and the automatic locks for the underbed tool boxes, etc. Every wire I found had full-time power. I didn't want to start unwinding the wiring harnasses under the dash, but I can't figure out which wire to tap into! I don't need a lot of current. just enough to trip a relay. Any suggestions? the big red wire under the steerning column is always hot, so it won't work. I am also searching for an ignition-controlled power source under the hood, but I couldn't find one there either! :yell:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I spent part of the day searching for a power source that is controlled by the ignition key. I want to hook up a single relay, and branch off of that for things like the battery bank relays and the automatic locks for the underbed tool boxes, etc. Every wire I found had full-time power. I didn't want to start unwinding the wiring harnasses under the dash, but I can't figure out which wire to tap into! I don't need a lot of current. just enough to trip a relay. Any suggestions? the big red wire under the steerning column is always hot, so it won't work. I am also searching for an ignition-controlled power source under the hood, but I couldn't find one there either! :yell:
The easiest is off the radio, ACC wire to be exact found here...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488

Seek

Therberg

I not certain about the cab /chassis version but in a full body version you will find constant 12v / ignition 12v and engine running 12v in the driver seat base in a little black box mounted on the side of the seat base toward the center of the van, there are screw terminals inside ready for your accessories

Tim H.

bikerjoe

Okay! I'll unbolt the seat and look inside. I tried to see what is under the seat, but it is like the sock monster. It isn't meant to be seen by human eyes!

Thanks!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Someone had better go and get Bikerjoe out of that hole! the Cookie monster bites:popcorn:
PS if you find a link in that hell hole can you clip a shot of where to put a spare line for acc/ I'm rewiring a video link up and twenty wires running back to the dash isn't fun.
Richard

bikerjoe

I not certain about the cab /chassis version but in a full body version you will find constant 12v / ignition 12v and engine running 12v in the driver seat base in a little black box mounted on the side of the seat base toward the center of the van, there are screw terminals inside ready for your accessories

Tim H.
Hi Tim,

well, there were no screw terminals, and no little black box under my driver's side seat pedastal. I tapped into a thick (12 ga.?) red wire with a yellow stripe. It tested as an "engine running" hot wire, so the relay will not be triggered unless the engine is running. I am not sure this is the best solution, but for now it allows me to charge the two aux. batteries while driving.

It seems that manufacturers do not consider thins like easily accessible power access points. My Honda Goldwing had a specific ACC screw on the fusebox, but that is the onlt time I've seen one. i may just run a power wire from the main battery to another fuse box and power everything from there.

Therberg

Hi Tim,

well, there were no screw terminals, and no little black box under my driver's side seat pedestal.
Hi Joe,sitting here watching the Busch race at PIR and reading that you could not find little black box with screw terminals in that maze of wires did not surprise me. Its been a couple of years since I was under there doing any wiring so with a flash light and cell phone camera out the door I went.

If you have the deluxe seats you can remove the seat cushion by releasing the little lever under the front edge of cushion and pulling forward and then lifting up.When doing any actual wiring it is still easier to just remove the entire seat.

On my 2003 Freightliner the terminal box is on the side of the seat base toward the center of the van and up near the top,under the top lip and next to the transmission control module. There are screws that mount the terminal box visible from the outside of the seat base, look next to the emergency brake lever.

Tim H.

Attachments

bikerjoe

Okay, I do have those screws and the little slot in the seat pedastal. The black box is there, but I didn't see any way to open it. Do I need to unscrew it to see/access the electrical terminals you mentioned? Wow! now, I'm excited! It is midnight, and cold outside (for California anyway) so I'll remove the seat (again) tomorrow and take a lcoser look at that box. I THOUGHT it was some sort of sensor, such as a temperature sensor for the air conditioner controls or something. I guess I'll discover the three wires you mentioned tomorrow. Thanks SO MUCH for taking the time to walk me through it!

Last edited:

Top Bottom