2005 Sprinter 2500 stalling

zlee2

Hello, my Sprinter van has stalled three times at highway speeds recently.

Can anyone give me some idea on the likely cause of the problem?

I'm a gasoline engine tech, so I have very limited knowledge on diesels, but feel free to go as technical as possible.
Thanks.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)

I'm a gasoline engine tech, so I have very limited knowledge on diesels, but feel free to go as technical as possible.
Thanks.
Being a "gasoline engine tech" I'm sure you would ask for more details if a customer came to you with this scant info regarding a tech-laden modern vehicle. If you haven't been to the dealer for diagnostic checks-kindly provide MORE details. Doktor A

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanks.

I see... a red.... a red box, a big box made of metal - it's a chest of drawers - with silver handles on each drawer... too small, too shallow for socks or clothing.... and it's not sitting in the bedroom... it's on a floor and the floor is made of .... concrete? I don't understand that part at all...

The rest of vision is cloudy and fading... but I feel the spirits are telling me that....

that it has something to do with fuel
... or air

starvation....

That's all I'm getting.....

zlee2

Being a "gasoline engine tech" I'm sure you would ask for more details if a customer came to you with this scant info regarding a tech-laden modern vehicle. If you haven't been to the dealer for diagnostic checks-kindly provide MORE details. Doktor A
Do you know if this van is OBD-II compliant? Is there a service manual on the web in .pdf format?

zlee2

I see... a red.... a red box, a big box made of metal - it's a chest of drawers - with silver handles on each drawer... too small, too shallow for socks or clothing.... and it's not sitting in the bedroom... it's on a floor and the floor is made of .... concrete? I don't understand that part at all...

The rest of vision is cloudy and fading... but I feel the spirits are telling me that....

that it has something to do with fuel
... or air

starvation....

That's all I'm getting.....
It can be restarted. You still think it's something to do with air or fuel starvation?

zlee2

So none of you has never heard or read about high-speed stalling problem of this van caused by some mechanical or electrical issues?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi No I'm not a mechanic,Andy can say exactly how to solve a problem in my case My Submission's are based on a given fact most Diesel mechanics don't have enough training! or time, due to the shortage of Qualified Mechanics world wide, so I learn the basics and why they can fail, along with a basic solution, you end up learning An awful lot, that has it's uses. Be patient with The Doctor he will reply in time, Andy just likes to do things the correct way.
Sorry about the light hearted fun it's just that we are a really friendly and helpful forum. but fun and games amuse us along the way.
PDF for helping towards your requests
Richard
View attachment 20603-va-pwrtrn_sgmldiag.pdf

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
So none of you has never heard or read about high-speed stalling problem of this van caused by some mechanical or electrical issues?
zlee2
Modern Diesel engines can be very frustrating as to the many but simulated problems a gas engine of today can encounter, it's either electronics which a code error!'Which will show" or Its ignition of fuel or mechanical failure in most cases it is fuel and oil related, generating a high speed stall but also due to non maintenance or improper maintenance Human error or by a Tech, failing to pick up the problems, beforehand.
High speed stall can indicate as many reasons, but we need more specific information to help.
• Turbo engines
Richard

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Andy can say exactly how to solve a problem Be patient with The Doctor he will reply in time, Andy just likes to do things the correct way.
Richard
View attachment 1651
I rarely respond to "help me diagnose this problem" postings. It's not because I'm anti-social. First, owners often leave out important clues and facts that tend to make a "online" diagnosis a wasted effort. Second, the Sprinter is a modern, complex, hi-tech laden, wonder machine and often requires diagnostic intervention with very expensive and sophisticated diagnostic equipment. Knowledgeable group members have often helped save a desperate owner the trip to the repair shop- with advise regarding partially clogged fuel filters, air filters and the like. But for many problems (especially for warranty covered vehicles), a trip to the workshop is called for-where a trained technician armed with a DRBIII will help expedite a diagnosis before any lasting damage is inflicted. It's not just about reading P codes. The properly trained Tech is armed with an impressive array of system tests that can only be performed with factory tools and equipment. Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
and lets not forget a parts room at his disposal
to throw parts at it when all else fails:laughing:
LOL. Can you imagine what went on before DC identified causes of common failure of components such as the turbo resonator? Component failures that generate vague DTCs. I'll bet lots of turbochargers were tossed in the recycle bin. Doktor A

KenB

OBD III (beyond OBDII),

Usual list of (many, but NOT complete) common reported problems like this:

turbo resonoator leaking/splitting (sometimes dies, and often goes into limp home mode, low speed only unless downhill, no real boost, runs starved for fuel so the turbo does not wind up)

leaking/loose turbo hoses/clamps

plugged air breather

fuel filter in need of replacement

fuel pump, booster pump, injector pump problem

bad mass air sensor

bad temp sensor

bad injector

two bad injectors

bad EGR

Mis-matched tires (will shut down to limp home due to stability errors that the system perceives).

Z... you should get the picture so far that the possibilities without more codes and/or many more details about behavior of the vehicle are not enough...

To be quite truthful, a sticky vent valve in the fuel cap can be enough to turn on a code that shows as a dash lite for "check engine".:thinking:

More info and preferably codes... many autoparts stores in Oklahoma will let you use their OBD tool in the parking lot (if it fits)... without a deposit most of the time if they can hold your Drivers Licsense, or go out and help you hook it up... they usually have time because they WANT to sell you parts identified as bad.

KenB:cheers:

Phil Grabbe

Trail Rider
I had a similar problem. I traced it to the ECM relay socket in the steering column fuse box. I removed the fuse box, took the cover off, tightened the contacts with a needle nose pliers, and put it all back together.

It was dying almost every time we drove it up till this fix, and it has been 3 weeks and it has not died since.:bounce:

Hope this helps.:smilewink:

Top Bottom