OM 647 High idle-voltage drop induced

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Here is a small thread from the other group you may find interesting-

High idle control-(voltage drop induced)

As promised- I talked to the people at off road engineering. This
unit(a potted circuit board with a led light signalling activation) is
available for OM647 Sprinters. Unless modified with an additional
solenoid- it requires use of their included console rocker switch and
will activate high idle(2000 rpm) if voltage drops below the(preset at
off road) 13.0V threshold. It will remain at high idle until owner
shuts off switch or manually activates a switch induced reset mode.
Price is about $225 and STILL requires visiting a DRBIII for
activation of ECU. Doktor A

-- In sprintervan@yahoogroups.com, "abittenbinder" <abittenbinder@...>
wrote:
> Interesting-I will investigate. Doktor A

> --- In sprintervan@yahoogroups.com, Mike wrote:
> >FWIW, while looking for the instructions, I came across this
> >alternative high idle controller, which may have already been
> >discussed, but it was new to me:
> >http://www.offroadengineering.com/

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Thanks Doktor A. :clapping:

So what is the point for getting this versus an OEM switch? It seems you still have to use the DRBIII for activation in both cases. It doesn't sound like there's an advantage at $225.

In Jeeps Wranglers, I know they integrated their system with the Idle Air Control valve. People reported that they can decrease the rpm from idle to aid in crawling. In some instances, if they decrease it too much it can kill the engine.

There's another idle control system for Jeeps that integrates with the cruise control.

Seek

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Thanks Doktor A. :clapping:
So what is the point for getting this versus an OEM switch? It seems you still have to use the DRBIII for activation in both cases. It doesn't sound like there's an advantage at $225.
Seek
If you don't have critical accesories with a significant current
draw-then yes, the factory mod is cheaper and quite adequate. The
DRBIII activation is identical for either choice and barring
complications should be straightforward and take less than 1 hour shop
time(switch install and wiring time not included). Doktor A

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
I may have missed this, but how much then is the OEM upgrade if I do not currently have the option?

Also, just when exactly is the high idle function used? Under what circumstances?

Cheers

Tibor

VanSyncro

I think I just spent about $75 for all the parts for the factory install which included 3 basic keys. I also just got a sprinter card for the DRBIII that will allow me to go to any dodge dealer in a pinch to get adjustments done. It will also allow me to use one at a friends dealership that is not sprinter certified. That being said I should have ordered a few extra connectors just since there was an error in the instructions, you cannot connect an 18ga wire to the ecu.

Ian

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I think I just spent about $75 for all the parts for the factory install which included 3 basic keys. I also just got a sprinter card for the DRBIII that will allow me to go to any dodge dealer in a pinch to get adjustments done. It will also allow me to use one at a friends dealership that is not sprinter certified.
Ian
I assume you know that the CH9043 multiplex cable is needed for that particular Sprinter memory card use with the DRBIII. The German DC vehicles (Sprinter/Crossfire) have transposed k-line pin locations on the DLC. Doktor A

buxmont

I think I just spent about $75 for all the parts for the factory install which included 3 basic keys. I also just got a sprinter card for the DRBIII that will allow me to go to any dodge dealer in a pinch to get adjustments done. It will also allow me to use one at a friends dealership that is not sprinter certified. That being said I should have ordered a few extra connectors just since there was an error in the instructions, you cannot connect an 18ga wire to the ecu.

Ian

4/17/07 Ian, is the reason for the 18 gauge wiring not fitting because: (a) you did not have the special ecu connector part # 05161275AA (b) the wire size is to large for the connector or (c) the wire size is to large to fit into or out of the ecu female plug. :thinking:

Thanks for the clarification Lee

4/18/07 Finished the high idle mod last night, with no complications. :D The 18 gauge wire fit with know problems, but you have to make sure you crimp the ECU connector (part # 05161275AA) tight to the wire and if you solder make sure there is none outside the connector or it will not fit. The tolerances on the ECU plug are very close. I paid $47.39 for the parts from http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/, just got home from Bergey's Dodge in Lansdale, PA and the charged me $42.40 for the ECU reprogram.

Last edited:

Top Bottom