noisey engine after head gasket change

si.

I had the head gasket changed about 2 months ago and ever since it has been ticking over a bit rough, it could be missing slightly and as i full off from a junction i struggles a bit anmd what could be a slight knocking sound but as soon as i get up to 2k+ revs it seems to be fine and the engine sounds as it should.:idunno:
When i start the engine first thing in the morning i get a puff of black:wtf: smoke out of it and then as it gets warm it hardly smokes at all. I do a lot of motor way miles so that is the only reason i havent sorted this earlier realy.
The guy i had around to do the head gasket is a machanic and assured me he knew what he was doing. After getting the head back skimmed and pressure tested head fitted it and touqued down the bolts, fitted the cam shafts and the timing chain but i noticed he couldn't see where he had marketed the cam wheels/pullies. I had to go out and when i returned the cam case was fitted so were the injectors so i assumed he eligined them up(i didnt realise at teh time that the cam shafts were marked already from new other wise i would have told him). but he was nowhere to be seen.
I phoned him up and he said he got called out to another job but would return at 1pm, 3pm came and i phoned him and he said i would have to wait untill the morning now because another job came up. This wasnt the first time he had dissapeared whist doing this head gasket so i was not a happy chappy so i decided to carry on where he left off. Ive replaced head gaskets before on petrols but for some reson thought it would he a good idea to get a pro to do this one,:crazy:
Anyway im 99% surew that what ive fitted to the engine is correct but the only thing that im not to sure about is the timing so my question is to you guys Are these symtoms of the timing being out slightly and if so is there a easy way of seeing
PS the machanic hasnt had a penny out of me simply because i havent seen him since that chilly spring morning and he has paid for the head to be done etc so i cant under stand what was going though his head:crazy:

312 diesel (closed)

Did the pump timing get disturbed? That could be out a bit. The camshaft out by a tooth on the chain is fairly major. I'd have thought you'd have fairly big issues at that.

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
is this what he looked like? if not he sounds suspect:idunno:, no doubt youll get help here:thumbup:
Doktor A, should be able to help.
max.....

Attachments

Last edited:

si.

312 diesel, you said about the pump timing being out slightly, i put the fuel pump back on aqs it should but how do you alter the timing of it?

Eric Experience

SI The cdi motors don't have an injector pump so the timing is not an issue. Your symtoms are more like cam timing. You can find a full workshop manual on this forum, if you download that you can see how to set the cam timing. Good luck, Eric

si.

ok eric, ibe got the adobe manual off this site and i thought it was the cam timing to begin with because when i was getting the head gasket replaced i noticed the guy doing the job could not see where he had maked the cams etc but some body mentioned about the pump timing thats all.
So the only solution is to strip the engine back to the cams and align the crank and the two cams up again ye. I should be able to see if the cams arnt ligned up proply by turning the crank to the mark and looking at the two marks that are already on the top of the cams shouldn't i mate?

Eric Experience

Si.
You are spot on I am afraid, you just have to do it. Do you know if the injector bolts were removed, if so so new bolts and seals must be used? Eric.

si.

ye i got new stretch bolts for the injectors and new copper washers for them too. i shall be getting somenew ones to prior to starting the job. thanks for your help anyway

Top Bottom