grills

aarpskier

2017 LTV Unity FX
The thread below explains the issue. In short, non-RV grills have a low pressure regulator. The 2015.5 (I think) and later Unitys have an external propane quick connect, with a valve. That line also has a low pressure regulator. Low + low = no go. So, you either have to convert your non-RV grill by removing the regulator and adding a quick-connect, or you have to by an RV grill with no regulator. In either case, you will need a hose with quick connect fittings to get from the Unity external connection to the grill.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38635&highlight=propane+grill
This is what the Weber Q100 looks like with the stock low pressure regulator removed and a quick connect fitting added:

alichty

2014 LTV Unity TB
Re: FOR SUZA and others

To answer Suza's question, I have the Solaire Everywhere grill. It is 21"W x 9"H x 13"D, weighs 15 pounds and comes standard with a regulator so you can use a small propane tank. I bought the optional kit which consists of a control knob and hose so you can plug directly into the Unity's propane quick connect and use the Unity's built-in regulator.

The Solaire is an infrared grill with a burner similar to those used in commercial high end steak houses. If you want to sear a steak or cook burgers quickly, this is the grill for you. If you tend to delicate fish or want to cook low and slow, choose something else. This grill gets HOT. They recommend lining the interior with foil which makes it really easy to keep it clean. I only replace the foil after a half dozen or so times of cooking. After grilling I leave it on high for a few minutes which burns off anything stuck to grill surface.

I bought mine from a local to me barbecue dealer and as I was wavering, he said that if I bought the grill from him and didn't like it he'd take it back and refund my money personally. Not Solaire's guarantee but his personally. That was over a year ago and I still have it. Rasmussen is the manufacturer of Solaire and warrantees the grill. I have no connection, etc., etc.

http://www.rasmussen.biz/grills/portG.html
At the moment this grill appeals to me. My road M.O. so far has been heavily slanted towards quick grilled dinners as opposed to slow cook stuff like I tend to do at home.

My current road grill is a Weber Q2000 converted for the low pressure LP outlet. After nearly 6 months of accumulated time on the road with this unit I am about to give it the boot. It's a single burner unit so not as versatile as the Napolean models described so far. Since it is a large unit getting it up to temp for serious grilling in the cooler off season temps I tend to camp in takes some time. Internal grilling temps tend to dive fast if you open the lid. I just noticed that the plastic support frame has fractured on my last trip out a couple of weeks ago so the basic design doesn't really seem as suited to taking the jolts of bumpy miles.

Its a much larger unit to store than the Solaire so the lower compartments were always out of the picture. Hearing where you have yours stashed has me scrambling with my tape measure now :drool:

Suza

Does anyone have experience with a propane grill that you can also use pots and pans on. We like to cook outdoors, as much as possible, during warm weather camping.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I use a Weber 2200 and store it my Gear Space 34 cargo container but at 43lbs its so heavy to lift in and out of my cargo holder. So thanks to this thread, it has got me to researching the other types of truly portable grills out there and I have decided to try the O Grill which is around 25lbs. Thanks for all the good info.

Tiny dancer

"After lots of research and measuring. I have a 2017 Flex and just purchased the O Grill 500. Comes with canvas bag and stores perfectly in the bottom cabinet, behind the generator cabinet. Has a cast iron grill, folding legs, and aluminum drip pan. Weber will not fit in the Flex storage area. O grill also has good reviews." I shared this with my husband who has been doing all the measuring , etc. (it's like tetris!) When we went outside to measure the cabinet behind the generator cabinet we found that we only had 201/2 inches maybe 21"... We went online to amazon and it is saying that the long measurement is 22 inches.... We tried the Coleman... it does not work, and the Weber does not work.... We are using the back storage spaces for inflatable kayaks.... so our space is limited... The O Grill 500 really fits?... We live in MA. and are hoping to leave on Wednesday... for the South.. We are new to the RV world... want to call to discuss... 978-352-8280.. Thanks, tiny dancer.. e-mail arlenebarnard1234@gmail.com

Peter Tourin

2020 Unity RL, ex 2012 Unity MB
You other O-Grill users - do you get enough heat to sear steaks nicely? I love the grill, but it seems like I get not quite enough heat from it - steaks take longer than expected and don't sear on the outside nicely. Any suggestions appreciated!

Eugene Rider

2016 Unity TB
Damn, I didn't know I needed a grill until reading this. I was real hard to find a O-grill 500 and bag but found it at outdora.com.
The grill, easy, the bag hard.
Amazon is getting expensive.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I ended up ordering the O Grill 900 because it has a slightly higher domed lid and temperature guage. It weighs less than 28 lbs and will allow me to be able to put foil wrapped items like corn, potatoes, foil tents of mushrooms, asparagus, peppers, onions, zucchini, and/or squash. Makes me hungry, can't wait to try it out. I ordered this bag on ebay as a carry bag, http://www.ebay.com/itm/252524115253, it should allow me to put my utensils, propane hose, grill brush, etc. In the bag as well.

Last edited:

Denis4x4

2013 Unity TB
I bought an Olympic cast iron grill with a carry bag and it is easy to store in the narrow space on the driver side of a TB. Also carry a small single burner butane stove so I can cook several dishes outside. Also use a roll up table if picnic benches are unavailable. Sourced everything at Camping World.

Yob2kanobe

2017 Unity U24MB LL+
We're using the stainless steel "Olympian" camco 5500 barbecue grill. Measures 23.5"w x 13.5" deep x 10.5" tall. Great bbq with LP quick connect and carry bag that fits in any of our 2017 Unity MB outside compartments.

Th3307

On my O Grill 500, I modified the plastic fitting where the LP hose connects which reduced the width by about 3 inches. I removed the 90 degree brass fitting. The hose from Amazon then connects directly to the larger remaining fitting. Searing steaks....its not like throwing a steak on my 3 burner Weber Grill at home at 500 degrees but you can sear meat. It just takes time and if I can get out of the wind it helps! At about 20 pounds, it's easy to handle. It's cleans relatively easy with a removable round pan. We use it all the time. We bought two small folding tables from sports academy....one for the grill and another for drinks/food/snacks. The tables fit perfectly in the right side (standing up, collapsed) of the large storage cabinet of the MB model.

Tannys

2016 Unity TB Portland OR
I finally got a propane grill to use with our 2016 Unity TB. I had been looking for a while when I found a barely used Coleman Roadtrip grill for $50 on Craigslist. The grill had been used a couple of times on an apartment balcony and had never been camping. As you can see from the photos the grill was clean and like new when I got it. When I got it home I learned that it was too big to fit in any of the Unity compartments so I removed the stand and mounted some rubber bumpers on the bottom. I now have a tabletop grill and it fits perfectly in the driver's side storage compartment. I also found a used aluminum camping table for the grill. I removed the pressure regulator and had a 20 foot hose made at my local barbecue shop with a direct connection to the grill. All together the propane grill, hose and fittings cost me $125. We are headed out on the road next month and look forward to outdoor cooking.

Attachments

Suza

I finally got a propane grill to use with our 2016 Unity TB. I had been looking for a while when I found a barely used Coleman Roadtrip grill for $50 on Craigslist. The grill had been used a couple of times on an apartment balcony and had never been camping. As you can see from the photos the grill was clean and like new when I got it. When I got it home I learned that it was too big to fit in any of the Unity compartments so I removed the stand and mounted some rubber bumpers on the bottom. I now have a tabletop grill and it fits perfectly in the driver's side storage compartment. I also found a used aluminum camping table for the grill. I removed the pressure regulator and had a 20 foot hose made at my local barbecue shop with a direct connection to the grill. All together the propane grill, hose and fittings cost me $125. We are headed out on the road next month and look forward to outdoor cooking.
Nice setup. Can you grill and use it as a cook top with pots and pans, or just grill? Let us know how you like it.

I'm beginning to think we are never going to have "outdoor cooking" weather again. It snowed in Southern Oregon today. I'm still waiting for that nice Spring weather we usually get here in the PNW. I must have blinked and missed it :idunno:

Klipstr

2018 Wonder FTB
Saweet!

CabinHal

2017 Unity MB
We bought a Napoleon TQ285-Travel IQ. It measures 14 x 19.25 x 22.75 inches. Our Unity MB should be here at the end of February so haven't tried for fit yet but according to specs from other posts it should fit with room to spare. Tried it out at home and the 12,000 btu burners work great. It's a solid BBQ.
We have that model, and it fits perfectly with its legs folded under it in the bin closest to the side house door of our 2017 MB. I installed a quick disconnect on it to enable use of the motorhome's propane, which is very convenient, and we bought the griddle that can be put in place of one of the grids. Bacon cooks nicely on the griddle. We really like the Napolean, although we first targeted a Weber Q, which will not fit any MB compartment unless you store it on its side.

joeframer44

2014 Unity MB/U-lounge
We have that model, and it fits perfectly with its legs folded under it in the bin closest to the side house door of our 2017 MB. I installed a quick disconnect on it to enable use of the motorhome's propane, which is very convenient, and we bought the griddle that can be put in place of one of the grids. Bacon cooks nicely on the griddle. We really like the Napolean, although we first targeted a Weber Q, which will not fit any MB compartment unless you store it on its side.

We love the Napoleon grill, as it cooks the same way as,our big Weber with way too many burners. By the time we got it the compartment next to the door on our 2014 MB was seriously spoken for. So my wife made a nice canvas bag for it and it travels in the shower, and comes out first along with the lounge chairs when we hit camp.

Muddobber

CabinHal,

Do you remember when you put the disconnect on was it just a 1/4 NPT male plug? Looks like you just undo line to regulator and put this plug there for hose to Unity. Don't have either the Unity or grill yet, but soon. Just getting stuff ordered.

Thanks

joeframer44

2014 Unity MB/U-lounge
Regarding our Napoleon grill, I'm trying to figure out how I can plumb with a bypass and shut off valve it so I can use either our onboard tank with the quick connect or the standard regulated connection with a small propane bottle. Sometimes the barbeque needs to be placed where the long hose to the disconnect is too far. I suppose I could go and stand in front of the brass gas fittings department at the hardware store, but that sounds too confusing. Anyone out there already done this?

Thanks
Joe K.
2014 Unity MB

Top Bottom