Serpentine Belt Help Please

mstng

Got the belt off and new one almost installed. Very tight fit and when I use the tensioner, nothing loosens enough to slip the belt over the water pump puley/ What am I doing wrong? Same size belt...Dayco. A 2004 and have used the diagrams for the 2003 engine and are identical. It is easier from the underside. Any suggestions? HAve been screwing with this for 2 hours.

Thanks

Got the belt off and new one almost installed. Very tight fit and when I use the tensioner, nothing loosens enough to slip the belt over the water pump puley/ What am I doing wrong? Same size belt...Dayco. A 2004 and have used the diagrams for the 2003 engine and are identical. It is easier from the underside. Any suggestions? HAve been screwing with this for 2 hours.

Thanks
I had mine routed wrong and had the same problem even though I had made this diagram before I removed my 2004 belt. How could I not follow my own diagram????? Anyway this is right for my 2004. Hope this does some good. AP
2004BeltRoute.jpg

mstng

Thanks....Thats exactly how I have it...or I should say want it. I am have trouble just getting it stretched enough to get it around all the pulleys before even cranking the tensioner. When I do get it on there it is extremely tight on the water pump/fan blade and moving the tensioner to it's max position doesn't allow enough looseness to slip it on. I never had problems like this before with a belt like this. My vovlo boat engine is a piece of cake to change. I am even back to the original belt just in case it's vodoo and that was the problem...No go

mstng

Problem solved.....For future reference

file:///C:/Users/Bill/Desktop/Sprinter/beltshowthread.php.htm

Using the above linked instructions I removed a belt that was giving me a noise that sounded like a screech for about 1/4 second every time I turned the key off. I just assumed it was the belt and I was correct.

While putting the belt back on I ran into difficulty fitting the belt over the lip on the water pump as there is very little room and it seemed I wasn't getting enough looseness from the maximally moved tensioner. I was using the 2nd part of the instructions above from hkpierce. What I didn't realize and what I misread was the last line. From under the engine, it is possible for one person to both move the handle to the socket and get the last of the belt on the alternator pulley. I had been still trying to place it over the lip of the water pump from below. He is correct in that for me at least it is impossible to do any other way. It slipped over the alternator pulley without problems but one could be slightly concerned about the ribbed belt rubbing along the pulley while sliding it on. Screeching sound is now gone...

Thanks guys

I was on my way out the door when I quickly posted my diagram. Sorry I didn't have more time for further info.

My method using a rope to hold the tensioner back is in Post #2 of this thread about T1N 647 water Pump replacement.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6228

Oldfartt/Ross reminded me of the proper use of the restraining hole/pin trick in post #6. I prefer the rope because reaching up for the restraining pin seems more awkward to me.

Either of the above methods will allow you to work from above and below to install the belt once the tensioner is held back. Just make certain the belt seats properly into all the pulleys/idlers when you re-tension it. Hope this does some good. AP

mstng

You helped me realize I was using the correct diagram. My manual is for a 2003. Your 2004 diagram was identical.

Thanks very much

0407 sprinter

Just did my belt from below, with 18" screwdriver between the a.c. pully and the tensioner u can slide the belt over the bottom engine pully

Top Bottom