VB Air Suspension

joboman

I can't get a hold of VB in the UK. Does anyone have any idea how much their 2 bag system is and how to get one? Thanks.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Aren't they up in Lancashire somewhere, perhaps try the Netherlands distributor instead?

As far as cost goes, VB's form is usually the highest end of the price bracket for this type of system. I seem to remember a figure of ~£5 or £6k for a full system, but will happily be corrected on that.

A few people on here have fitted Firestone and Gliderite. There is some discussion whether the brackets for one of these are sufficiently man enough for the job though: a quick search for "tab380" and his air suspension concerns will provide some interesting reading.

Another alternative is Roadmaster, although this is a mechanical rather than air system.

What is it that you like the idea of: adjustability or improved comfort?

Edit: joboman, I see you're trying to do this on a six wheeler - let us know how you get on with it?

Simon

Last edited:

Eric Experience

Richard.
The VB suspension is very similar to the design I finished up with. The diference is in the top mount. the VB mounts will cause the chassis rails to twist, I used a piece of 75mm sqaure tube running the full width between the rails to eliminate the twist. Eric.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Eric, this is why I asked the member for his GVM there are three types available, flexing can be eliminated by the use of full air 4 air bag system not semi air the basic unit good only for 3.5 Tonne and the use of a free traveling parabolic arm plus revised sway bar to suite.
VB is not available in Aus to the best of my knowledge, but it's very close and or as similar to Gliderite New Zealand
how did you change your bracketing this may have been of help to Tab350 as to his issue of crushed chassis rail/
Thanks Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Eric that just reminded me of Bikerjoe doing a similar set up but his reason was he extended the length of his cab chassis unit.
one interesting point of both Gliderite and VB air is the existing mounting holes in the chassis of the Mercedes units are used..No holes drilled.
Where the bolts are slipped into the existing chassis holes Bikerjoe welded in a reinforced shaft for the bolt to go through, thus under torquing down of the bolts there is no twisting or deflection come compression of the rail frame under H/D usage, Not sure if he did it for the same reason or was being extra careful! Nevertheless it has a bearing on loading stress at these points.
Richard.

joboman

I'm primarily looking for comfort. The rear springs tend to tear the passengers up in the back on a rough road. I've called both the UK and netherlands, but no one seems to return my call as well as emails. I may quit trying due to the fact that they are exepensive. Of course i'm looking for a economicaly priced air system. I'm hoping to do away with the leaf springs all together if i can. My GVM is...(have to go out and look) i don't see GVM, GVW is 9990lbs. hope this helps. I'm no set on air suspension but it seems to be the most comfortable for the passengers, and thats my main goal.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Joboman your over the limit with the two air bag system if your running up to almost ten thousand pounds so your in the higher end of the 4T class.
This is the one you need
Richard PS Try Gliderite UK
SU1 (Custom).jpg

SU2 (Custom).jpg

joboman

thanks for all your replies. Very helpfull. I'll post pictures of my "new" sprinter in the picture section tomorrow. I don't see a whole lot of Daimler conversions on here.

Eric Experience

Joboman.
Doing away with the steel spring, and low cost air are not compatable ideas.
Adding an air bag to existing springs can not improve comfort even though sales people will tell you it will, it is not true, adding and extra spring can only make the suspension stiffer. In your situation you should fit the lightest spring that will handle the maximum load you are likely to carry. Also reducing the sway bar will also improve comfort. After a lot of testing and expense I can assure you the above is correct. Eric

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I'm not set on air suspension but it seems to be the most comfortable for the passengers, and thats my main goal.
Check the BeckerAutodesign.com website. They have a in house IRS design that they use on their executive Sprinter office limos. It will likely cost as much as your home. Click on the "Becker high performance" selection on the right and scroll its pictures. They show the IRS design on their Excursions but the Sprinter is similar. Now that's comfort. Doktor A

Top Bottom