continued from "Starting Problems" May 2008

geothermal1

Geothermal1
This is a long one, bear with me.

Intitially, I had a starting problem, earlier this year, so lately I just left it idleing all day (We do A/C work & this is our BUSY time). It only used a couple of gallons of fuel per tank to do this.

NOW, it has just shut off while running, normally on days with temperature over 95 outside.
After the first time on I-95 it started after about 45 minutes of cooldown it started. I did see air in the 'clear' tube from the filter to the front of the engine. Also, I loosened the water drain and got a small amount of something but not much so i assumed the filter was dry(?). I loosened the bleed screw on top and it started but died before I could get around to tighten it down but started after another 4-5 long start tries. Ran all the way home (80 miles no problem)
Second time (hot day) it died after all day idle and we left the job to go home. 3/4 mile from job it died ( on a busy 2 lane bridge during rush hour , very unpleasant people behind me) Towed to local shop. They were unable to figure it out other than , code 1187 (?) Told me to take it to a dealer.
A local , large dealer, kept it overnight and called it was ready. They had 'fixed fuel leak on tank connection and replaced fuel filter'.
When I went to get it the van was not locked but I thought nothing of it. Got home and it would not lock at all using the remote. I called the dealer and they said bring it in. Next day i brought it to them and in 45 minutes it was back on the lot. The service writer told me they have not gotten the computer stuff they need to tell what's happening yet. So I asked how they fixed the fuel leak and he said the tech just figured it out and fixed it(see above),, OH WELL, Ok then.
The remote (and van) will do NOTHING while trying to lock but when you push unlock the lights flash once just like normally when it's unlocked and you push unlock. So now I am just locking & unlocking all the doors manually.
It ran fine for two days and then the starting got slightly long (10 seconds cranking). It then died while running last Thursday. Sat for 10 minutes and I had my helper crank and I saw lots of air in the 'clear tube' from the filter to the front of the engine. After it cleared up the van started about 10-15 seconds later.
Friday it died and after cooling for 10 minutes it restarted. Took it ot the local shop and discussed just replacing all the rubber fuel lines, we may do this this week.
I was highly irritated over the entire situation so I crawled under the van this morning and find that the fuel tank supports hook on one side and a strap goes under and has a long threaded 'bolt' to hold it up on the other side, the threads of the long bolt have lots of dirt on them and have obviously not been loosend to get to the top of the tank where the dealer said they fixed a leak. I dont see any way they could have fixed A leak on the top of the tank withour letting it down!!!!
Generally , thru this ordeal, if its running and you shut it off for 5-15 minutes it will have to be cranked for 20 seconds to 3 or four 60 second tries. If the van has been off for one hour it seems to start but not as quick to fire as in the past
When it's running I can loosen the water drain on the fuel filter and get nothing, does this mean there is a 'membrane' in the filter and only water will get below it to get to the drain on the side near the bottom of the fuel filter???

Does ANYONE have any suggestions. I would just go get a new van but what if I need warranty service?? I dont know yet if I trust the ONLY servicing dealer in the area!!!

It has been out of use for SIX weeks this year, it's killing our productivity.

When it's running it has no equal but if it doesn't run it is worse than USELESS.

Thanks,

Marty
804\739-5854
Moseley, Va.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Is your vehicle a 2002 Sprinter Cargo unit? I harvested that datum from your profile.

I wish I could give you a quick fix, but anyone who helps you likely need to know the vehicle's manufacturing year.

If you did take a 2002 Sprinter to the dealership, I find it hard to believe that their service writer told you "they have not gotten the computer stuff they need to tell what's happening yet."

I'll hope for seasoned T1Ners contributions now.

-Jon

PS: Mileage and any major work you've had performed -on the van - or know about - may also be helpful.

geothermal1

Geothermal1
It's a 2003 3500 dual rear wheels.
The dealer I used last year left the truck open when we had it in there for service while we were on vacation. There was $1500.00 of stuff missing and they said "we are not responsible" after negotiations we got 1/2 of it from them, BUT I will NOT go back there.
This new dealer is apparently just setting up for Sprinter service and told me when i called them on the door not locking issue that they were an authorized Sprinter service dealer and my response was "What good is the Authorized status if you dont have the tools?" it's like getting a promotion but no pay increase, you are still in the same place ,albeit, with a new title , Authorized?

Marty:bash:

geothermal1

Geothermal1
93,000 miles, no major problems. This current problem is not really major except for it's frequency and bad timing (OUR BUSY SEASON) and the fact that we drive sometimes 100 miles out in the boonies and I am really nervous about getting stuck way out there!

Marty

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
I sympathize. If you search this site, you will find lots of discussion on this topic. In summary (and as you already know) air is getting into your system. On 2001-2003, the pump is on the front of the head. So you are sucking air in from somewhere. First go after the obvious sources: there are reports of the clear fuel line cracking; next check the clips holding the fittings in place located at the pump and the filter. They are easy to break, and easy to mis-install. The recirculator valve O-ring may also be leaking if the TINY hold-down screws are misaligned, stripped or lost. See https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169

For repriming: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170&highlight=reprime

After the easy stuff, then the tank is next.

See also http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/message/45694 for a fuel line bleeding tool.

Last edited:

Top Bottom