Euro headlights vs DOT, dial adjuster different!

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
2003 T1N 3500, Freightliner.
I decided to install my Depo Euro headlights and new Mercedes grille today, thinking they should be an easy swap. I found two issues, both will involve more parts or modification:
* The electric adjuster motors need to be swapped into the new light, and the white plastic adjuster extension (lacking better word for it at the moment) is about 3/4" too long to fit the Euro lights. Forget this adjuster, or does someone have the necessary shorter motors or an idea how to re-use the originals?
* The DOT lights have a marker and signal bulb, dual filament. The Euro lights are made to have a single filament, just signal. It may take a bit of surgery but I think I can add the third contact and make this a non-issue.

RedDino

Been there, done that:

Use the contact from your old headlight and splice it in with the stationary light. Use the old socket for the signal bulb. The only issue that is left is that you have no orange side reflector. But that usually goes unnoticed if you have DRL.

The shorter motors are extremely hard to find. I found them one at a time on German Ebay for about 25 Euros a piece plus shipping. I will check and see if I can find the part number. Best advice is to go without them and use the manual adjustments.
I was also not able to change the old motors to fit.

I love the headlights though!

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I've seen the ' European " sized motor arms on eBay , used, but I just went with manual adjusting.
I added amber reflector stickers to the sides so I won't get pulled over. I've added "invisible" scotch tape to the lower beam to diffuse some light above the horizon, since it was pitch black above, and very bright close below.
I put in a small amber bulb near the fog light as my park light since the large one has only a turn signal.

Attachments

RedDino

Here's the link and picture of the original used part on Ebay that I bought.

I did a quick search and I believe I actually found one posted !

Make sure you ask if it will fit a 2004 or later with facelift. If the seller doesn't want to ship to US I can help out with an address in Germany. Obviously shipping will take a bit longer...

Good luck!

Attachments

Top Bottom