Need help starting in below zero cold

It has been -25 F around here lately at night. During the day, it has warmed up to -10 F. I have not been able to start the 2004 at these temps. It seems that lower than +5 F, I get a lot of problems starting. I am told that the fuel here is #1 that is made for low temps.

I would like folks to help me with a couple of decisions.

Should I use a anti-gelling additive? Do they work?
Should I install a block heater - is there a block heater made for the sprinter?
Should I install a radiator heater?

I noticed in another recent post that other folks are not having problems with extremely cold starting. Any suggestion would help. As it is I have a highly german engineered hunk of steel sitting in my driveway blocking the only car (88 Toyota Tercel) that I know will start every time.

Thanks. :yell:

Old Master

Hello My... I guess my post about my easy start should have read "Less-than-Extreme Cold Starting." You didn't say where "here" is, but -25 F. is much colder than my -3 F. in southern Ohio today. But actually, our temp here last night was (they SAY) -15 F. with Wind Chill Factor.

I'm not much of an expert on anything but (1) my own opinion, and (2) my own personal experiences. So, when I heard that this additive I use in my oil (not gonna write the name lest anyone think I'm hawking the stuff) and the additive I use in my diesel fuel are both very effective...I bought some. The former is supposed to leave an extremely slick residue inside the valve and cylinder thingys (see, I told you I"m not an expert:idunno:), which allows the moving parts to rub together easier, even in very cold temps. And, I heard the fuel additive helps eliminate moisture in the fuel, and helps keep the fuel from gelling in the cold.

You read my experience in my other posting...last fueled my Sprinter in November, my vehicle sat still for three days in less-than-zero temps, and it started right up, very quickly, today. BTW, mine is a stock '04 with original battery, about 23,000 miles on her now.

Now that I've written all this stuff about additives, all you guys out there with PhDs in EM (everything mechanical) can come down on me with both feet...or all three feet in the case of those living near nuke-u-ler power plants and/or some Aussies. :tongue: As I wrote, all I know is my own experience today.

John
(who at his present age dislikes extreme cold and heat (in women as well as the weather :D .)

chaozz

please post products there has been alot of topics on many products
always nice to hear what works for others.

my opinion would be a block heater.

you could also try till you get one a heating pad wrapped around the lower hose

Old Master

In response to CHAOZZ request above...the additive I use is Motor Kote, for the following reason: I live in an area that broadcasts a 50,000 watt radio station called 700 AM, WLW. They have a trucker program every night, midnight to 5 a.m. I couldn't sleep one night and lay there listening to these professional drivers talking about Motor Kote oil additive. There were truckers calling in from all over the USA, praising this stuff to the point that I decided to buy it.

I bought a gallon...then read the directions, which said you add ten ounces (for my vehicle) every fourth oil change...so the remains of my gallon will be passed on to my heirs, I suppose. You can buy in lesser amounts, and they threw in two bottles of their fuel treatment free. I put it in my lawn mower, my snow blower, my Honda generator, and my two boats (one diesel engine and one gas.) Plus I rub it on stuff I don't want to rust, and it grew hair on my bald spot...really!...and I am almost as honest as Richard (Altered Sprinter.) :smirk:

Check out: http://www.motorkote.com/

and: http://www.motorkote.com/testimonials/

John

Last edited:

SprintED

Myled,

Couple of thoughts...

If you live in the Northern states that frequently get cold winters...all the diesel that you can buy should be the proper winter diesel...wholesalers & retailers make a change from summer to winter in the fall to avoid mass gelling etc..issues. If you live in an area that rarely gets cold snaps...you may have summer diesel year round...and your diesel is gelling. A few years ago we were traveling from Salt Lake to Reno on the interstate in the middle of december. A blast of cold air from home (Canada) had dropped south and temps were around 5 F...we counted over 200 semi trucks stalled/parked on the both sides of the intersate for about 300 miles. The cold hit, the fuel gelled and the trucks stalled out...almost all license plates on the dead trucks orginated from places like Mo, Az, Tx, NM, CA, etc..

Once again if you get cold winters a block heater is must...I even use mine in temps as warm as 20F...it is just better for the engine. If you live in a cold winter area and your sprinter does not have the aux heater/Espar option...then you probably should have bought one that had it. Its kind of like buying a black car with out air conditioning when you live in Las Vegas, Houston, etc...

As far as German engineering....in the temps you are experiencing most diesels would have a hard time starting....but my sprinter has started at -30 F with no block heater or pre heating ...I was between a rock and a hard place and had no choice other wise it would have been plugged in or pre heated. If your no start issue is because your fuel is gelling...well...its kind of hard to blame the Germans for that.

Good luck gettin her goin!

Ed

rogerbeeghly

It won't start until it probably reaches about 10 F your fuel is gelled. If you know it is going to be in the teens or lower you need to put in kerosene. I put in 1-2 gallons per 10 gallons. And keep your fuel tanks filled up. The reason I say teens is when your going 55-65 MPH the windchill would be atleast in the single digits. Block heaters and heater boosters are great, but they don't do anything for the fuel. I have seen additives but don't know if they work. I look at it this way kerosene costs about the same as diesel so your not spending 10-20 Dollars more. I have been doing this for years, it also states it in your owners manual, I believe as mush as 50/50 blend.

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
... I look at it this way kerosene costs about the same as diesel so your not spending 10-20 Dollars more. I have been doing this for years, it also states it in your owners manual, I believe as mush as 50/50 blend.
You've got to watch the % of Kerosene to Diesel! There is about zero lubricity in it, very bad for the injection pump! I'll look in my manual tomorrow, I know it is mentioned but forget the percentage mix.

Myled, my van has had troubles in the past under 10 above 0, but recently it's been that or less over night and she's been starting right up. I can't say for sure but seems for me it may have been the fuel.

Webasto makes a very nice product that would help.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hello Folks I'm back from the never,never:thumbup:
please note this is official from Mercedes-Benz use as little as possiable if no alternative thinner is available. (Kerosene) in years gone by it may have worked as the diesel engine would run rough at the best of times and smoke like hell adding to the carbon deposit credits all on their own with out help from any other industry, however all jokes aside the injector system will eventually give trouble due to the poor quality of Kerosene as to its contamination levels, such as heavy metals water, plus solvents which can be highly corrosive to a modern diesel engine.
Scott is right, it has very little lubricity as an active agent to prevent high risk damage to a 12 to 15 thousand dollar engine, sorry lads if your under warranty you just blew it.
I noticed the US is having temps below -24 and that's not including the wind chill factor B'rrrr so it stands to reason nothing is running that great in the areas effected with below temps, if your sprinter has a fuel filter with the water separator then drain it.
Don't run fuel thats not recommended, use only ULSD that is certified, bio fuels will freeze quicker than Ethanol mixed fuels as this product takes longer to freeze than standard ULSD, use anti-gel agents in the fuel and engine oils, don't use under any circumstances! Farm type Diesel or home heating diesel, that's a bad as trying to run the Sprinter on marine grade Diesel the fuel filter will fail.
Remember Kerosene is the dregs of the end products from the petroleum industry, you can't even make a solvent from it as to the poor quality agents within the said product.
My advice is to just settle down with a good book and snugle up to your wife or partner! No company? snuggle up to the Sprinter and just hang out for a better day.
If in doubt with fuel do the 12 hour Diesel test I placed it in the sprinter format somewhere but can't remember where.,.
True I would not lie:shifty:
Richard

acvr4

I know there are a bunch of anti-gel additives out there but I've been using the Power Service's stuff and haven't had any problems. I have a few friends that swear by it (real diesel guys) and that's way I've been using it. It's prevents geling and lubes too :) We have a "Tractor Supply" store near by and this stuff goes for around $14 a gallon. I know the autoparts stores carry it too but haven't bought it there.
I figure it's worth it, just to prevent the possibility of it happening.
Just my 2 cents :2cents:

Last edited:
I do not use any type of stuff in my oil or fuel. -8 and -6 have no problem starting. I was told not to use any of the additives as they will harm the engine. Two years in service 180,000 miles 2005 Sprinter.

Steady

"The windshield is bigger than the rear view mirror because it is more important to see where you are going than where you have been"

This has been a mild winter here in Eastern Oregon, +5°F is as cold as it has been. At 20°f I usually turn the key on twice, waiting until the curly wire indicator has gone out before starting the engine. It seems to be quieter, with less of the dsl rattle before reaching operating temp

Fireguy

nocky

Myled
When you say it doesn’t start, does it crank over or fail to ignite? I would check the amperage of the glow plugs and make sure they are all working. I have the boiler on mine so as long as that is running I’m good to go. Also Mobil 0w40 helps, at -10:thumbup:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
me said:
I'll look in my manual tomorrow, I know it is mentioned but forget the percentage mix.
Well it's been a few tomorrows already but....

Quoted from my `03 OM sec/page 7.17 :

The following information can be used as a reference, if adding of kerosene becomes necessary. The mixing ratios shown refer to the total mixture.

Ambient temperature:

14 F to -4 F (-10 C to -20 C)
No. 2 Diesel Fuel: 70%
Kerosene : 30%

Ambient temperature:

below -4 F ( -20 C)
No. 2 Diesel Fuel: 50%
Kerosene : 50%

Even in extreme conditions the maximum mixture should not exceed 50%

Adding of Kerosene to No. 1 Diesel fuel is not recommended even at low temperatures

Do not blend other specific fuel additiives with Diesel fuel except for fuel flow improver. They only result in unnecessary cost, and may be harmful to the engine operation.

rogerbeeghly said:
...I believe as mush as 50/50 blend
You sir, were correct!

BULBASOR

Howdy All,

I'm a Stock 2004 like the old master.

I was just up in the snow on a frozen lake last week. I have no problems with cold starts, but I do somthing every time I start.

I turn the key and let the coil heat symbol turn off before I crank the motor. Once at the Grand Canyon it was real cold and the coil light did not go out until after about 20 seconds.

I have noticed that if I always wait for the coil heat light to go out before I attempt the crank the motor always starts.

Top Bottom