Sprinter with towed vehichle brake systems

renotse

I have a 2013 25ft Sprinter based RV (not Winnebago or Itasca but I think this is relevant here) . I have it set up to tow a 2012 Honda CRV 4 down. The tow bar and tow bracket are Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, which I received as a long term loan from a family member? Because the CRV is 3400 lbs, 1/3 of the coach weight , a supplemental brake is highly advised although not required in my home state. I recently towed the CRV in very heavy rush hour traffic of a major city without brakes and it was a white knuckled drive but the coach did an admirable job of accelerating and stopping on the 50 mile stop and go trip without supplemental brakes.

I also received a Roadmaster Even-Brake supplemental brake system, which I have not installed . This is a remote operated box type brake that is set up to proportionally actuate the brake pedal in the towed vehicle as the brakes are applied in the coach. This Even-Brake system is a little bit of a hassle to deploy because it is a box that has to be placed in the driver floor board, attached to the brake pedal, hooked to electrical source, and adjusted an calibrated each time you tow the vehicle. On top of that unsightly remote boxes are affixed to both the coach and toad that communicate by RF. This is a bunch of effort every time you tow. This system is only 2 years old an cost over $1300 but is no cost to me.

Alternatively I am strongly considering purchasing the M & G brake system. It is a totally proportional air actuated system that is permanently attached to both coach and toad. The only interconnect between the coach and toad is a 1/4" coiled airline that is inserted to both via quick connect air fittings. It was originally designed for diesel pusher coaches that have on board compressor for their air brakes. Since the Sprinter and other class c coaches have hydraulic brakes a special power pack consisting of a 12v compressor, air accumulator tank, a portioning valve with necessary controls is mounted to the undercarriage of the Spinter chassis. The beauty of this system is that once it is installed it is so easy to use there will never be an excuse not to use it when towing the CRV. On top of that when the vehicles are disconnected, because it is totally integrated, it is invisible to the operation of both vehicles. Of course if you look hard enough you can see the added equipment necessary to make this marvelous system work. It is a little pricey at $1800 installed and for me a tough decision because I already have the use of a pretty good system in the Even-Brake.

Now to the point of my post. Given my situation and based on your experience with towing fairly heavy vehicles with Sprinter based coaches, with and without supplemental brakes, what do you advise? Please include details of your towing experience and weight of the vehicles you have towed. If you are unfamiliar with either system I mentioned a quick Google search might help you appreciate the pros and cons of each system.

Last edited:

... If you are unfamiliar with either system I mentioned a quick Google search might help you appreciate the pros and cons of each system.
As nobody has replied yet, and I don't want you to feel ignored...

I have little RV driving experience, no RV driving with toad experience. I do have quite a bit of experience towing boats, some quite large. I didn't go to the links you provided. My comments are general in nature and based upon your post.

RV units are generally heavy. Adding a 3000# unbraked toad to a larger RV than a Sprinter based unit may be legal and a fine idea. I doubt that it is safe with a Sprinter RV.

Your comment about convenience and less likelyhood to not use the air based system stands out to me. I know that if the setup required was involved, it was raining buckets, and my schedule was close I would be tempted to just let it go. (And isn't a rainy day one of the worst times for that "no brakes just this time" move?) Anyway, maybe you are more fastidious than I am? I would go for the system which reliably does the job with the least setup effort required.

FWIW. Good luck. vic

Last edited:

Alwys*Lst

I do not have my Sprinter YET but will pick it up next month in Iowa (I live in California.) I plan on towing a Chevrolet Colorado that weights 4200lbs.

I used to have a 38ft Diesel Pusher that I pulled the Colorado with. I used the SMI Air Force One system which was powered by the air brakes on my Diesel Pusher. My plan now is to convert the Air Force One system to the SMI Duo system and it will be ONE hook-up and that's it easy peasy. It is similar to the M&G Brake system.

My advice it to install the M & G System. Reason being if for some reason you do not hook-up the Even Brake (maybe it is raining or your in a hurry or your only going a short distance) and HEAVEN FORBID something happens and you can't stop in time........... I do not want to scare you but "STUFF" happens........

Best Of Luck

DaveBeadles

Looking for a View now, but towed in the past. Only the VIEW & NAVION have the 3500 chassis (according to my research) & therefore 5K# tow capacity. all the others are on the 2500 chassis with max 3500#'s. DO NOT EXCEED. Electric brakes are the way to go. Stopping is much more important than going.... Also if you get wind whipped by weather or large passing vehicles you can tap the electric brake to straighten out again. Can't have to much towing or braking capacity. Dave :)

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
My advice it to install the M & G System. Reason being if for some reason you do not hook-up the Even Brake (maybe it is raining or your in a hurry or your only going a short distance) and HEAVEN FORBID something happens and you can't stop in time........... I do not want to scare you but "STUFF" happens........

Best Of Luck
I was once flat towing (no trailer) a '74 VW bus behind my '00 VW Eurovan. No brakes on the bus. I hit some snowy weather and had to come to a quick stop. The weight of the bus pushed my Eurovan forward a few dozen feet after I tried to brake. Trailer brakes are very useful!

lrcasella

My personal recommendation is the Roadmaster InvisiBrake System The advantage of this system is that there is virtually no setup after initial installation. Nothing to install or remove. I've used the InvisiBrake for two years with no issues. I understand the SMI Air Force One is similar in operation. Both systems get high marks on the FMCA forums.

bobojay

You do need a supplemental brake system with almost any Sprinter chassied RV, especially the class C's. The brakes are just adequate as is. Talking from a 2 Sprinter RV owner here.

Not to be critical of you reasoning, but why are you towing a car with your small RV. We had a Navion for 3 years and never once felt the need to tow as we drove everywhere, save low hanging parking garages, in ours. Downtowns, parked on the street, everything.
But that's just us....

Edit: what Ircasella suggested is the one I've always heard good things about too....

Last edited:

hillsboro19

We have a 2013 view and tow a honda crv (3000 miles so far) I installed a Unified tow break. To hook up all all I have to do is plug in the cord between the MH and the car only takes 5 min too hook up. Unified tow break is great to work with. also installed tire minder tire monitoring , another great company. hillsboro19@frontier.com

Top Bottom