Spectra Premium Radiator

philmc

Hi, I am about to replace my radiator that is leaking. I bought a Spectra Premium radiator but I see it is made in China. I am having second thoughts about installing it. Anyone have any experience with them? I can probably send it back and get a Behr (I am not that thrilled with Behr) but it is OEM. Thanks for any replies Cheers, Phil

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
I talked to Europarts before I ordered mine and they assured me that the quality was just as good and the warranty the same. I went with the Spectra. Time will tell and I will hold Europarts to their word. They have to date never let me down, well just once. When I ordered a new water pump, the listing said not to order a new gasket as one came with the pump. The one they included came with a paper gasket, but the one I took off was metal.

Sent them an email with my displeasure and they said paper was just as good. I got a metal one from Dodge.

lindenengineering

I have always been wary of Chinese radiators; Not that the core fails, more like the plastic end tanks crack and render the part as scrap.

The only aftermarket radiators I have fitted are from Nielson of Denmark, but they are only 25 bucks cheaper than the Beyr factory fit component so I tend to fit genuine MB parts and rest easy that I won't have to do the job again --later when the aftermarket part has failed.
I can easily accept aftermarket parts when not doing a vital role, but radiators----Well let's pray!:hmmm:
Dennis

philmc

Thanks for the replies and advise. I am going to send the spectra back. By the way, I had the A.C. evacuated because the manual says to but I am wondering if it was really necessary or if the condenser could have been just tilted forward a little to simplify the process. It looks like this project is growing as now I will probably do the water pump, thermastat, belt and pulleys as well. I will inspect the hoses as well, as I go. Thanks for taking the time to set me on a clear path. Phil

lindenengineering

Phil
Yes you could have removed the rad' without the condenser.
We Pro's tend to look at the job and see if we can wiggle the thing out before having to do extra work like evacuating the A/C. So you can put it down to learning!--Nothing wrong with that!

If your van has done more than 100K and never had the pulleys, tensioner and serp' belt changed its probably time anyway.

Here's wishing you the best on the task in hand and of course don't hesitate to ask on this forum if you are not sure of something.
Cheers Dennis
Gotta love a tryer

philmc

Thanks Dennis, you're the best. My Sprinter has about 290,000 miles on it. The good news is I bought it for $1900 with transmission problems. Ultimately, I had to replace the transmission and many other parts but it runs great and well worth my investment of time and money. I use it purely for recreation. One of these days I will get around to posting what I did to the interior the make it multi-use with a very comfortable queen size bed. All the best, Phil

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
I apologize for my previous post, I ended up with the one made in Denmark. I believe it is a Nissens or something close to that. Not made in China, says Denmark.

Top Bottom