Anyone running alternative ATF fluid? Amsoil or other

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Ah'rr Scott and My mate Give us a big hug:thumbup:
Great input by SUBA he has shown via the Blackstone report viscosity holding
etc. proves my point, oils ain't oils so go for the best, anything synthetic helps, 15w-40w extenders particularization of contaminated products, remains suspended in the synthetic oils permanently works on a heavy duty engine like the sprinter
after eighteen months it's still holding 70% of it's lubricity, but due now for a service the MB book does say oil changes three of depending on use and terrain, can go to thirty thousand K's, which is why Mercedes now have 20 to thirty thousand extended oil changes on the new Sprinters.
Richard

Suba

Did somebody mention my name : )) After checking myoilshop.com for the latest Red Line prices, I see oil and fluids went up a .95 cents per quart from last year. Still these guys are the cheapest place for R/L I know of. I just ordered a case of 15w-40 diesel oil and 4 qts of 80w-140 gear lube. That brings my stash to 15 * gallons * of 5w-40 T&SUV ( when it was still sold at Walmart for $19.95 in a 5 qt jug. The old 5w-40 T&SUV is the same as Delvac 1 from all the info I've ever read. I've also got 6 gallons R/L 15w-40, 2 gallons R/L 80w-140, and 2 gallons R/L high temp ATF, plus an assortment of other stuff : )) Anyone contemplating buying R/L should get it before another price increase,. You guys have a nice forum going here. A good night to all of you : )

Last edited:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Here you go Richard...
or was it...
I can't remember:smilewink:

So my R.L. question is (and I do like the stuff, I've used the gear lube) Is it an approved fill for maintaining your warrantee?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hey Scott
I haven't been MOONED (;) since laugh'in :laughing:
Where did you sneak those in from:idunno:
Richard
No it's not an approved fill for your warranty, but the crazy thing is Mercedes in the US, that is for the cars do have one! Where Dodge Has not? Mercedes Australia with the Sprinters, Go for it as to a different warranty If a product can be proven to be more effective and if it exceeds the specifications of the said oils you can use it as to Consumer Laws in Australia, warranties can not be denied if you follow a manufactures guideline that complies to AUS ADR ruling's or ISO=World Standards
Richard .

Last edited:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
...No it's not an approved fill for your warranty, but the crazy thing is Mercedes in the US, that is for the cars do have one! Where Dodge Has not?...
Not quite sure what you mean here? Freightliner and Dodge do have warrantees. I had 3 yr- 36K on everything.

Not that I'm personally too concerned about it, I have done all but one of my own oil changes(I do document them one way or another). I feel as if you keep up on maintenance you won't have trouble anyways. My dealer uses straight Rotella even though Sprinter specs are for full synthetic so apparently they are not too concerened either!

Maybe I'll pick up some Redline to change the fluid in the rear end once the weather gets warmer (single digits here today!!)

SecrettellerSikwan said:
...Looks like Scott pulled these off of somewhere and photobucket is hosting them.
You got me:smilewink: Sometimes I see these things and I've got to keep them on reserve for such occasions!

Richard your latest Taz photo...judging by his eyes, it looks as if he's been doing a bit more that drinking:smirk:

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
I have a reply from my inquiry direct to Red Line Tech:

"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your Sprinter transmission, MB is using a 3403 fluid, the D4ATF is a suitable replacement for that product, I wouldn't expect any problems from it's use...In the engine I would recommend the 15W40 and in thedifferential I would recommend the 75W90.
Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil"

Suba

I spoke with Dave a few years ago. Dave's a real nice guy and will spend a lot of time with you on the phone or email. He also recommended the D4 fluid and the 75w-90 gear lube. I asked him about the high temp ATF, and he said it's for commercial vehicles that either tow or use their vehicles in demanding ways......sounds like a Sprinter to me : )) I decided to go with the high temp ATF, and it was the right choice for me. Dave also recommended the 75w-90. I asked him why didn't he recommend the 80w-140. He said you will get slightly better fuel mileage with the 75w-90, and it will flow better in cold climates. The vast majority of people who know oil and lubes such as formulators and blenders will agree IMHO that when it comes to gear lube thicker is better. The fuel saving IMO would be less than .5% with the thinner lube, and that's really the only reason anyone will recommend a 75w-90 oil.....for the very slight fuel mileage increase. When I purchased my 1st R/L 80w-140 I tried an experiment. I put a cup of the straight 90w that I drained from my diff in the freezer. I also put another cup containing the synthetic 80w-140. Both cups were in the freezer for two hours. When I removed them, the 90 wt was like concrete. I could turn the cup upside down and nothing happened. The R/L poured right out almost as quickly as when it was warm. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to do anything. I'm just telling my story. In the end, everyone must make their own choices about many things including what fluids to put in their Sprinter. Unless you live in the arctic, or Alaska, I'm of the opinion that a thicker synthetic gear oil will protect the gears better than the thin stuff. :cheers:

Last edited:

stp57

Maybe I keep missing a post on this? Is the Mopar ATF 4 sold at Walmart for $4 alright for the Sprinter? The label makes it look like it will work for all Mercedes trans.
Steve

dhlcourier2004

Do I understand you correctly? Are you guys paying nearly $20.00 for a quart of ATF? I wonder who is charging you so much! As an authorized dealer for AMSOIL, I can tell you the price per quart is only about $9.00 retail, and if you are interested in being a dealer it is about $6.00 a quart.

I put it in my Sprinter more than 10k miles ago and still no shudder. I also put AMSOIL in my Dodge truck and my wife's Toyota. I love this stuff. Improved fuel mileage (documented), cooler running engine and extended change interval - plus warranties from AMSOIL!:bounce:

If I can be of any help, let me know.

Jim Erickson
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
PH 503.930.1120
FX 866.262.3547
jeemee6@comcast.net
www.lubedealer.com/erickson
6085 Lauderback St. NE
Keizer, OR 97303

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
pity this was not down under in Australia I use redline no issues but limited stocks and not the full range:idunno:
You guys get all the treats
Richard

dhlcourier2004

pity this was not down under in Australia I use redline no issues but limited stocks and not the full range:idunno:
You guys get all the treats
Richard
Richard,
I see where you are having some difficulty in Australia with AMSOIL and RedLine. We have dealers in Australia. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with them. also, for less than $100 USD/yr, you could be a full dealer. I'd like to help.
Let me know what I can do,
Jim Erickson
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
PH 503.930.1120
FX 866.262.3547
jeemee6@comcast.net
www.lubedealer.com/erickson
6085 Lauderback St. NE
Keizer, OR 97303

Top Bottom