2014 Ford Transit is now online.

Oakman

Just saw online a site that listed the Transit at 17/22 mpg and $27,000. Got to be the shortest and lowest top version. Kind of funny that it's the same mileage listed for the F-150 with the Ecoboost.

MellowYellow

I was hoping to get my hands on one in the fall, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen. Looks like it will be another Sprinter by default.

KCMO makes the 3rd place that i have seen listed for the assembly plant.

MellowYellow

Interesting looking van, but FWD immediately has me looking elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how these hold up in the long run. In the mean time, i'll let others experiment with their time and money. Local Dodge dealer support is actually worse the MB when it comes to understanding the key differences between a passenger vehicle customer and a commercial customer.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
FWD immediately has me looking elsewhere
If i recall correctly, the full-size Ford Transit is available in FWD and RWD in Europe.
Since i run my Sprinter very lightly loaded, FWD would be a winner (most of my weight is up front)
It will be interesting to see how these hold up in the long run.
FWD is hardly new technology, and anyone wanting 4x4 is getting FWD as part of the package.

--dick

MellowYellow

FWD is not new technology. Using FWD in a vehicle of this size is new application of an old concept. I have my concerns that a transaxle assembly will not be robust enough to give reasonable service life in a loaded commercial vehicle. Works fine in cars but that is a much much lighter application.

With 4x4 were talking about a transmission, transfer case and differentials all having their own specific lubricants and service intervals. FWD you've got a transaxle that wraps that all into 1 unit with 1 common fluid. I can't see this increasing durability. I can see this greatly increasing repair cost when it comes time with no actual benefit.

... But they may turn out to be the cats meow. Anything is possible, I hope they work out well. The thing we need in the full sized tall van market is competition.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Using FWD in a vehicle of this size is new application of an old concept. I have my concerns that a transaxle assembly will not be robust enough to give reasonable service life in a loaded commercial vehicle.
Ford has been doing it since 2000 in the rest of the world (including Mexico) with their full-size Transit.
They continued doing it with their model change-over in 2006.
(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit )
13 years is enough time to have accumulated experience to move out of the "new application" realm with an apples-to-apples example..

Granted: the US market tends toward (only being offered?) over-powered over-weighted vehicles, and that may be pushing the envelope that their FWD was designed for.
(or: why people complain about the "limited" towing capability of Sprinters)

We'll see
--dick

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The problem with the Ram Promaster is the same problem the Sprinter has. All new design (for USA) with no common parts (except gas engine) to domestic vehicles. Limited service and parts not available everywhere. The Ford looks better since it is built up of parts already used in the F 150 and Mustang. Same engines (except diesel) and 6 speed transmission. Ford should have much better parts supply and parts pricing and many more service locations.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
The problem with the Ram Promaster is the same problem the Sprinter has. All new design (for USA) with no common parts (except gas engine) to domestic vehicles. Limited service and parts not available everywhere. The Ford looks better since it is built up of parts already used in the F 150 and Mustang. Same engines (except diesel) and 6 speed transmission. Ford should have much better parts supply and parts pricing and many more service locations.
Agreed - the F150 parts bin is the fullest in the Automotive world.
(aside from maybe small block chevy parts).

I cant seem to build a dually version of the transit online though...I need a dually for my applications...

Uncle Dave

surlyoldbill

FWD kicks ass on snow and ice. For the casual slick road driver, not someone in snow country full-time, FWD is a very good compromise over 4WD/AWD.
The FWD drive vehicles I have driven would NOT spin sideways unless the E-brake was pulled during a tight turn; you had to TRY to get them to spin circles.
On slick surfaces, you simply steer the direction you want to go and give it throttle, no worries about the rear end wanting to swap with the front for lack of traction.
Most people only use their 4WD/AWD 1-2% of the time, hardly worth the expense. Those who actually need it, need it.

So far on paper the Transit looks better than the Ducato/Ram-Master though. Not too happy about the reported low mpg of 17-22, I was expecting at least 5mpg better.

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
FWD kicks ass on snow and ice. For the casual slick road driver, not someone in snow country full-time, FWD is a very good compromise over 4WD/AWD.
The FWD drive vehicles I have driven would NOT spin sideways unless the E-brake was pulled during a tight turn; you had to TRY to get them to spin circles.
On slick surfaces, you simply steer the direction you want to go and give it throttle, no worries about the rear end wanting to swap with the front for lack of traction.
Most people only use their 4WD/AWD 1-2% of the time, hardly worth the expense. Those who actually need it, need it.

So far on paper the Transit looks better than the Ducato/Ram-Master though. Not too happy about the reported low mpg of 17-22, I was expecting at least 5mpg better.
Growing up in the midwest we tried to make FWD cars spin out and couldn't either- had to wait for the snow in the mall parking lot to get it to work.

I wish my Dually NCV3 Sprinter got 22. That would be a step up.

UD

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
consumer reports is not a ford fan either

Least reliable vehicles, listed in order of Ratings score starting with the worst score.

1. Ford C-MAX Energi (Plug-in Hybrid)*
2. Ford Escape (1.6L Ecoboost)*
3. Mini Cooper Countryman
4. Ford C-Max Hybrid
5. Nissan Pathfinder*
6. Volkswagen Beetle
7. Cadillac XTS*
8. Ford Explorer (V6, 4WD)
9. Hyundai Genesis Coupe*
10. Ford Taurus (turbo)*

5 out of 10 is pathetic, maybe the transit can make it 6.

Top Bottom