DIY 7 day timer upgrade to factory heat booster install question.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Hi All,

I have asked specific folks I know that have performed upgrade this the
question, but if
anyone else has experience, please help, i would really appreciate it. I want to
splice into
as little wires as I need, so here is my question.

I am adding the 7 day timer, (and do not have a relay, hopefully I do not need
one?) The
only item in the box that came with the timer is a plug in connector that plugs
into the
back of the timer that I wire, up with the neccessary branch wiring, and then
plug it into
the back of the timer.

Here is the list of branch wiring required according to the espar manual:

1. grey wire from term 1 of timer plug in connector to vehicle dash light dimmer
switch.
2. yellow wire from term 2 of timer plug to yellow switch control of espar
heater (term 2
espar.
3. brown wire from term 12 of timer to term 3 of espar heater(- battery power)
with a
jumper to term 4 of timer block as well
4. blue wire from term 8 (diagnostic) of timer, to term 4 of espar unit
5. black wire from term 10 of timer to vehicle ignition (accessories) for
conituous
operation
6. red wire from term 11 of timer to term 1 at espar unit (battery + power).

These are the connections shown in the diagram. I did not find any plug and
play under
the dash to just connect the 7 day timer into, so it has to be wired. Is there
any of the
above 1-6 wire terminations above that are already addressed, with my factory
espar unit
with boost only presently, and as a result are not required? I do not want to
duplicate
anything that is not required.

What new wires have to be run from this bunch above that has to run all the way
from
timer, through firewall, and to the espar unit behind the headlight?

Are any of these wires I must tap into, like the ignition switch found in the
harnesses
found where the timer goes, or must i run a wire back to steering coloumn or
radio area?

Are any of these wires staring me in the face right there in the dash were timer
goes,
thereby simplifying the installation?

Many Thanks for any tips on this, much appreciated.

Tibor

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Hi Seek,

I can be as patient as I need to be, as it will be far cheaper.

Many Thanks for any help in this matter, it is sooo confusing, changes between model years, to wire interconnects. and the many different versions of this install I have seen, not sure which works, or does not, or might cause other present features to not work, or be affected if I wire it incorrectly.

I have a 2004 long tall for what is is worth.

Cheers again for any light you can shed on this confusing element of the Sprinter.

Tibor

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Tibor:

Give me a couple of days, maybe even less. I'd like to log this info too.

Thanks,
Seek

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Hi Seek,

Many Thanks,

I look forward to hearing back from you,

Many Thanks,

Tibor

PS. Let me know if there is anything confusing about my question.

Cheers,

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Tibor:

I checked the schematics for 03, 05, and 06 and found that ONLY Heater Timer pins 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12 are listed in there.

Your list below, Item 4, denoting pin 8 (diagnostic) of the Heater Timer does NOT exist in the schematic. I also checked the Espar pdf and it does match the list below.

1. grey wire from term 1 of timer plug in connector to vehicle dash light dimmer
switch.
2. yellow wire from term 2 of timer plug to yellow switch control of espar
heater (term 2
espar.
3. brown wire from term 12 of timer to term 3 of espar heater(- battery power)
with a
jumper to term 4 of timer block as well
4. blue wire from term 8 (diagnostic) of timer, to term 4 of espar unit
5. black wire from term 10 of timer to vehicle ignition (accessories) for
conituous
operation
6. red wire from term 11 of timer to term 1 at espar unit (battery + power).
I went to check my heater timer and ONLY pins 1, 2, 4, 10, 11, 12 are used. Because of this, I believe the diagnostic pin (pin 8) is not being utilized.

The listed pins that are being used in my van:

1. goes to location S253
2. goes to Cabin Heater Module pin 7
4. GND
10. goes to location S201
11. comes from a 7.5A fuse (fuse box location 3).
12. GND

This is just a preliminary. I need to see if there's locations within the console that are close by. I'll also include information about pins 6 & 9, which are found in the schematics.

Stay tuned,
Seek

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Hi Seek,

I was on the horn with espar, and was notified I need what they call a Sprinter upgrade kit. Espar Part # 24.0212.00.00.00. They emailed me an installation instructions in PDF. In it, they are basically selling a controller, with wiring harness. If you are interested, I can forward you the email. They claim you have more things to interconnect then I think to make this work as an engine independent heater, but not sure if its about cash, or it truely is the only way to make it work. On it it states it is for the 611, or 612 engine. I have a 2004 so it is a 647 motor, I am waiting for them to clarify if it is the same, have not heard back.
Long story short though, I have read of others wiring it up to work without this, but I have no concrete evidence. Espar claims if you do not use their kit, warranties are off. This kit comes with a Mini 1 day timer, a controller with attached wiring harness.

This is what I have learned so far, will keep you posted. I think the kit sells for $600.00 which seems like an excessive cash grab for what you get, some copper wire tapped together with a few relays.

My original post about the diagnostic wire, I was wrong on the plug # at the espar, but read that you run from the timer, to the espar side of the espar units electrical connection, and tap into the blue wire. This gives the timer the diagnotic capability when required via the lcd screen and number fault codes.

If I find out more I will keep you posted, I have put my dash back together for the time being while I regroup.

Tibor

04 158" Silver Bus

rogerbeeghly

I wired mine myself, and it took a while to figuire out (month's). I used a switch and 4 relays. I have the ability to use it as long as I want, no 2 hour timeout, and full use of factory setup(switch). I also have it tied into the rest function so it blows heat out of heater with no time out. It would be easy to wire in the 7 day timer instead of my switch. Give me some time and I will write up some instructions. I love it and could live with out it now. On cold days in the 20's it would take about 30-45 min. to defrost the windshield but when I jump in it is nice and warm and engine temperature is already up. I too thought it is crazy to buy an upgrade kit for $550 when you can buy a whole unit for $700. Cost me about $25.

Last edited:

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Hi Roger,

Thanks so much for your reply. I also have an 04 158" bus...

I am excited to hear of your success. I have ripped open my dash, and have now put it back together with no success as I reached a roadblock, one of many I'm sure you reached in your struggle as well.
Do you have a wiring diamgram for the Espar upgrade kit? I can email you one, but my guess is you do not really need it if you already solved your issue.

I have the 7 day timer, and the small 12 port square wire harness plug that plugs into the back of timer, that I crimp wires into.

Did you almost buy the upgrade kit, or just jump into the project? The kit actually only comes with a 1 day mini timer they call it, not even the 7 day timer.

I am now very familiar with most aspects of the espar, and location of most components. amd have seen where I can run my wire from the dash to the espar unit in the engine compartment.

I am eagerly waiting for your guidance on how to proceed. What are the specs on the 4 relays you used, and where did you buy them? Also, what guage of wire did you use for this wiring job? Once I have those components, I guess it will just be wiring it up to work!

If you are able, identifying factory harness wire color codes for the wires I need to tap into, and where they are located in dash or engine compartment would also be very helpful, especially as you have the same model year if at all possible.

Again Roger, I thank you in advance for any guidance you can offer regarding this upgrade. Very Much appreciated.

Tibor

04 Silver Bus

PS. Was voiding warranty, etc, ever a consideration, not that it concerns me much, just curious your thinking on this?

rogerbeeghly

I wanted to keep it as simple as possible and make all connections inside if possible but neither happened. The reason for all the relays was to have function of factory switch and normal functions without backfeed through all the systems. And as far as warranty, I was A Dodge tech. for 10 years you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Here is what I did,

What you need,

1. Switch part # 5103 853AA
2. Connector # 5120 633AA
3. Terminals (5)#5103 882AA
4. Splice connector (5) I used the ones you plug a male connector into
5. Male & Female connectors (A bunch)
6. Relay (4)
7. Wire (about 50' should do it) I think 16 gauge

Splice into,

1. Battery + at 12v outlet
2. Battery - at 12v outlet
3. Blue wire from the Automatic Temperature Control (Heater Booster)
4. Black/Blue/Green dot at heater booster (Heater Booster)
5. Green/Red wire from ATC (Water Pump)
6. Black/Blue/White dot 2 wire connector above shifter (Fan)

For #4 you have to cut the wire at the heater booster connector and attach a male connector to one end and a female to the other end

Directions,

1. From Batt. - 2 wires one to switch and one to Relays #86
2. From Batt. + 2 wires one to switch and one to Relays #30
3. From Switch + output go to relays #85
4. From one Relay #87 go to Blue wire splice
5. From one Relay #87 go to Black/Blue/White dot connector and use 5103 882AA terminal to plug into the connector
6. From one Relay #87 go to Green/Red wire splice
7. From one Relay #87 go to Black/Blue/Green dot wire connector you put a terminal end on that goes the Heater Booster side
8. From same Relay #87A go to Black/Blue/Green dot wire connector you put a terminal end on that goes the wire harness side of Heater Booster
9. From other switch's find light wire to light up new switch

For #7 & #8 I ran the wires under dash out through main wire harness hole behind battery down to heater booster

I am doing this on memory, pretty sure I got everything right.

Also, I wired it for the fan to run like the rest feature. If you don't want the fan to run just eliminate the Black/Blue/White dot curcuit.

As far as the 7 Day Timer the yellow wire would go to the relays. If you want diagnostics should be able to run a wire out to Heater Booster pin #5 and splice into.

I will try to put together a wiring diagram to upload, but that will take some time to get together.

Any questions let me know.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Hi Roger,

You are a star,

I will not get to many questions going unitil I get all the parts in my hand.

Currently I only have the 7 day timer.

here are some questions concerning required parts as per your list if you would be so kind.

1. Switch part # 5103 853AA, is this a Daimler oem part? Even though I have the 7 day timer, I still add a switch on the dash? Just checking, as the timer has a manual on off function. No worries though, I will get one.

2. Connector # 5120 633AA Is this also an oem part?

3. Terminals (5)#5103 882AA Is this also an oem part?

4. Splice connector (5) Where did you find / buy these?

5. Male & Female connectors (A bunch) What color (determines it size, but I guess rated for 16 gauge

6. Relay (4) Can you please give me the specs on the relay so I get the right ones, and any tips where to buy?

I will end my questions there. I have some withb wiring, but as I said, let me get the parts in hand first.

Many Thanks for your help.

Tibor

PS I too want to add a diesel jetta to the family, good choice!

rogerbeeghly

Since you have the timer you won't need the switch or connector. You will need 1 Terminal #5103 882AA this is oem. That is for the fan, if you don't want the fan then you won't need any. As far as splice connector NAPA or any auto parts. Blue connectors. And any relay will work, I used the small ones but large will work. You can get them at NAPA or any parts store. Like I said took me a while to figure it out but very glad I did. As far as the fan, if you wire that in too, it acts just like the rest function, so you can change the speed from 0-4. Works great, when I go out and scrape my wifes TDI off, I just hit the switch and when I come out about 20 min. later its warm. Of course you will have the timer so you can set and forget.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
So, the relays, are single pole, single throw 20 Amp 12 V, I take it this is what I am after, and I still need 4.

What actually is the terminal? I would like the fan, so I will go order this from the dealer.

Must be very satisfying to have figured it out, congratulations. I am a former commercial electrician, but trying to trace wires without a diagram in a series of clusters just makes my head spin. I am very grateful to you for sharing your knowlege, Cheers.

I have a busy week ahead of me, so I can only tackle this in about a weeks time. I will aquire the parts in the interm, and hope that in event I have some final questions, I may ask of you a question or two sometime next week.

Thanks,

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Oh, I forgot one question,

When you mentioned wiring inside and out, what part of the wiring took place under the hood outside? Is that were you mounted the relays?

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
One other question came to mind as well, sorry, but,

I will need 1 X Terminal #5103 882AA, as per your last email, versus 5 of these as per your earlier email? Since I have the 7 day timer, I only now need 1 of these terminals versus 5?

Just wanted to make sure, so I have all parts I need when I take the dash back apart.

Cheers Roger,

Tibor

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Relays as well,

Are they Normally open realys, or normally closed, I am guessing normally open, or do these small ice cube relays have both sets of contacts that one finds at the autoparts store?

If they do have both sets of contacts, which are ultilized for this project, N.O., or N.C?

Just so I get this right.... as well,

and I still need 4 relays as per your list despite the 7 day timer too as well correct?

Can't wait to have it Fired up! Another chilly evening last night.......

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
:thumbup: Great stuff here :thumbup:

I wish I had ordered this(the self contained heater) with mine, my biggest regret! At the time the dealer had about zero info on it and was a very expensive option.

My question is is the same as kkanuck1's You mention relays needed but do not specify a type. I'm thinking the cube style too as some have wet-dry NO & NC contacts on them. Maybe a cheaper version you're using?

Oh and Roger, I know a guy out in PA about 2 1/2 hours from you who is a chip tuner. Top notch work, has many options for your `02 Jetta Diesel. I've got Diesel Passats myself and they've all been chipped by him. I believe he can do Sprinters as well.

Last edited:

rogerbeeghly

As far as the relays, I used the same relays that are used in the fuse and relay box. I mounted the relays inside under switch's. I believe any automotive relay will work. Most are all the same. They have 5 post's. And yes just 1 terminal.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply,

Did you wire to the NO OR NC CONTACTS of the relay?

What was wired under the hood and waht was wired under the switches on the dash? What I mean by this, is your original list of 6-7 items that need to be tapped into or spliced, where did these take place? I am most concerned about under the hood stuff?

If by chance you could make a simple schematic diagram and post it, we would all be very greatful, and would return the favor however you would like?

Please let me know. I will now order the terminal and relays, etc, I have been very busy, but will now have some time to delve into this again.

Many Thanks again Roger!

Tibor

04 Silver 158" bus

Top Bottom