My van died

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
I was taking the kiddos out for ice cream today. Took a right-hand turn on-ramp to a highway and it died. All lights on, no power what-so-ever. Pulled over as much as possible. Couldn't get it restarted. Didn't have vag-com with me (I could have scanned the codes at least.) About 5 minutes later, I was able to get it started. Check engine light was on (solid, not blinking.) I slowly took it to a parking lot. Didn't accelerate hard enough to see if I had limp mode or full power.

AAA took it to the stealership for me, a friend picked up the kids. I *really* would have rather scanned the codes myself first but...it just wasn't in the cards. Maybe now I'll get the center bearing replaced under warranty!

My husband got underway today; we're down to 1 vehicle - and it's at the shop; we are moving across country in less than 3 weeks. Timing could have been worse; we could be in the middle of Montana while towing the travel trailer.

I'll report back as soon as I find out what Dodge says tomorrow morning.

BigBlueBus

Wow...I would be very interested in the diagnosis since I have the same van. Where did you get the scanner or what model should I purchase?
John

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
Wow...I would be very interested in the diagnosis since I have the same van. Where did you get the scanner or what model should I purchase?
John
The scanner we have is Vag-com made for VWs. However, it can read as a generic scanner. I think we paid approx. $150ish for software and cable. We haven't messed with it enough to know if it'll be a good scan tool for the sprinter. Last week, we had no codes whatsoever. I couldn't reset assyst with it (that I know of.) If you're still interested, contact Uwe on www.tdiclub.com or www.ross-tech.com (that is his site.)

As soon as I hear what the stealer has to say, I'll post the info. It might be something simple, it might be something much more than simple. I really have no idea; this is my first MB and I really don't expect a newer vehicle (9 months old with almost 16,000 miles on it) to just up and quit. Guesses have ranged from fuel pump to relay 109 (or whatever it is called on the Sprinter, 109 is VW) to ECU. I wasn't able to immediately restart but could after 5 minutes. I'm running ULSD from a company I routinely buy from; I've not had any other issues other than center bearing howling.

BigBlueBus

I will say that immediately after adding Redline fuel additive to my tank, as it was highly recommended here, my engine light went on solid and stayed on all day even after several starts and shutting down as we ran errands all day. The next morning I got in the van headed for the local "stealer" but as soon as the van fired up, the light went away. I guess I can't blame it, If I was a car I'd hate to go there too; I guess the "stealer" to my Sprinter is like the dentist to us. Anyway, please report back with your diagnosis.
Do Sprinters use the regular industry-wide OBD-2 system? In that case, any scan tool will do, there are some kits that allow you to plug in your vehicle to your laptop, but you need their wiring adapter and software. Does anyone here have this setup with a laptop? Can it do more than just retrieve codes, such as resetting the oil light, reflashing the ECM, etc.

JOhn

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I will say that immediately after adding Redline fuel additive to my tank, as it was highly recommended here, my engine light went on solid and stayed on all day even after several starts and shutting down as we ran errands all day. The next morning I got in the van headed for the local "stealer" but as soon as the van fired up, the light went away. I guess I can't blame it, If I was a car I'd hate to go there too; I guess the "stealer" to my Sprinter is like the dentist to us. Anyway, please report back with your diagnosis.
Do Sprinters use the regular industry-wide OBD-2 system? In that case, any scan tool will do, there are some kits that allow you to plug in your vehicle to your laptop, but you need their wiring adapter and software. Does anyone here have this setup with a laptop? Can it do more than just retrieve codes, such as resetting the oil light, reflashing the ECM, etc.

JOhn
Just another data point: I've been using RL-2 since my first fill. I've had no problems.

There really isn't much out there for NCV3-specific scan tools. The Sprinter Diagnostic Assistant - probably the most comprehensive tool available - is both laptop software and only supports T1N for now.

The LinearLogic's Scangauge will plug into the Sprinter, read and clear at least codes, display some runtime sensor values, but I don't have any personal experience with it. I'm planning to buy one, but I've been doing other things with time and money recently. I'll get to it eventually.

At the moment, the only way to reset the service interval is to use the StarScan or StarMobile tool from Miller. Drivers/owners are not the target purchaser of StarScan or StarMobile; they are dealership tools for Chrysler CAN bus vehicles. The tools are comprehensive, but near-mid four figures in price.

-Jon

Sprinter

Just another data point: I've been using RL-2 since my first fill. I've had no problems.

-Jon
I also have no problems wit red line, only benefits. I have over 40k miles now using RL-2 and RL-3 and engine works like the day I bought it.

No, that's not true, actually it sounds better.
Waiting for news from lildevildee...

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
I'm still waiting for news from the dealer. Both local dealers said most likely Tuesday morning before they could get to it. The dealer I have it at now got it into the bay but nothing after that. THey may or may not get to read codes today. In the meantime, they offer no loaner car program so I'm stuck renting a minivan or not driving. Of course, the DOdge dealer would gladly charge me for one of their minivans but it was already out and would a Dodge Charger work (after specifically telling her I have 3 children in carseats.) She said I could probably put one of the kids in the front seat. WOW.

Normally we have at least 2 vehicles; we sold our other van (1993 Eurovan) about a month ago in preparation of our upcoming move. As of right now, I will say that I am very disappointed in the service from Dodge and the reliability in the Sprinter. I love the Sprinter but this is crazy.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Do you remember which Instrument warning lights were showing,
With warranty options Platinum. "I get a loaner van" ,,touch wood.. Not that I have broken down in any Sprinter, as of YET':eek:
Richard

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
Altered, when it died on me, all of instrument warning lights were lit up. When I tried to restart the first time, same thing. When I restarted after 5 minutes, the lights all worked normally except the engine light was on (solid, not flashing.)

Dealer called me. Intake temp sensor failed. It was replaced under warranty. Next up was the howling center bearing. Seems the little ol' lady really did know what she was talking about after all! (I've had two different Dodge dealerships basically say I didn't know what I was talking about when I told them the center bearing was failing.) Anyway, he recommended the entire drive shaft be replaced under warranty. The problem, according to his parts department, is that it is on backorder and it might be a few weeks before they get it. Small problem with that is we are moving and that is our only source of transportation. We're also using it to tow our travel trailer. Anyway, I asked about just replacing the center bearing and he said that was possible but it was on backorder too. I then explained to him I bought one from a dealer in Texas and currently have it sitting in the van along with the invoice and in the original box. He was getting ready to leave for the day but would talk to his service manager about it tomorrow. I plan on getting up early and calling trademotion to see if they have in stock a driveshaft for my van. A friend of mine actually posted my woes on IATN along with the VIN in hopes that I might be able to find one that way as well.

So, my van is fixed...kind of. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Altered, when it died on me, all of instrument warning lights were lit up. When I tried to restart the first time, same thing. When I restarted after 5 minutes, the lights all worked normally except the engine light was on (solid, not flashing.)

Dealer called me. Intake temp sensor failed. It was replaced under warranty. Next up was the howling center bearing. Seems the little ol' lady really did know what she was talking about after all! (I've had two different Dodge dealerships basically say I didn't know what I was talking about when I told them the center bearing was failing.) Anyway, he recommended the entire drive shaft be replaced under warranty. The problem, according to his parts department, is that it is on backorder and it might be a few weeks before they get it. Small problem with that is we are moving and that is our only source of transportation. We're also using it to tow our travel trailer. Anyway, I asked about just replacing the center bearing and he said that was possible but it was on backorder too. I then explained to him I bought one from a dealer in Texas and currently have it sitting in the van along with the invoice and in the original box. He was getting ready to leave for the day but would talk to his service manager about it tomorrow. I plan on getting up early and calling trademotion to see if they have in stock a driveshaft for my van. A friend of mine actually posted my woes on IATN along with the VIN in hopes that I might be able to find one that way as well.

So, my van is fixed...kind of. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Best of luck, keep us posted please.
Richard

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
... I then explained to him I bought one from a dealer in Texas and currently have it sitting in the van along with the invoice and in the original box. He was getting ready to leave for the day but would talk to his service manager about it tomorrow. I plan on getting up early and calling trademotion to see if they have in stock a driveshaft for my van.
Trademotion is a store front - unbranded - for dozens of dealerships, Toyota, Nissan, Dodge, MB (I think). Which dealership did you purchase from? Berry Auto (aka SprinterParts.Net)? If so, Mark has my vote of confidence for being able to find it, if it's on this continent.

Good luck, lildevildee!

-Jon

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
Didn't know that about trademotion. It is Berry Dodge. Thanks, Jon.

I talked to a friend of mine tonight about the center bearing/driveshaft. He said the driveshaft replacement is overkill for the bearing and that it's a common failure on other models. Actually made me feel a bit better. I trust his call over the dealer. I'll see if the local dealer can just use the bearing I already have. If so, I should have it back tomorrow.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
There really isn't much out there for NCV3-specific scan tools. The Sprinter Diagnostic Assistant - probably the most comprehensive tool available - is both laptop software and only supports T1N for now.

At the moment, the only way to reset the service interval is to use the StarScan or StarMobile tool from Miller. Drivers/owners are not the target purchaser of StarScan or StarMobile; they are dealership tools for Chrysler CAN bus vehicles. The tools are comprehensive, but near-mid four figures in price.

-Jon
The import agent of the SDA has long been promising an "update" that would allow interface with the '07-'08 Sprinter CAN based diagnostics. They have talked about the update for quite some time and I fear that the upcoming diagnostic protocol change for model year '09 Sprinters- will divert and derail the effort. Doktor A

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
... I fear that the upcoming diagnostic protocol change for model year '09 Sprinters- will divert and derail the effort. Doktor A
Thank you, Doktor A. Do you anticipate the augmentation of StarScan and StarMobile tools to embrace the 2009 model year protocol change; or do you anticipate the retirement of StarScan and StarMobile in favor of a more modern tool?

-Jon

BigBlueBus

... I fear that the upcoming diagnostic protocol change for model year '09 Sprinters- will divert and derail the effort. Doktor A
What are the changes in the diagnostic protocol for '09 Sprinters?
Are they talking another body style change?
electronic components change?
Is the power sliding door available yet?

Perhaps I should've waited a couple years before I bought my '07; I don't know if I could've waited another 2 months though, much less 2 years; we love the Sprinter.

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
Apparently I was sent a bearing for 2006 and not 2007 even though I ordered by year and with VIN. I'm currently trying to get back in touch with them about getting it returned.

There is one dealership that has the part but apparently that dealership does NOT have to sell it to the dealership I am using. I'm waiting on a phone call to find out what the status is on that. He said it could be upwards of another week that I am without my van; I told him we'd have to work something out on their "no loaner" policy.

Ah, gotta love the waiting game.

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
Latest update: the bearing is on its way here; it should be here no later than Thursday. It should be installed no later than Thursday. I should have my van back by Thursday afternoon. I miss my van.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Latest update: the bearing is on its way here; it should be here no later than Thursday. It should be installed no later than Thursday. I should have my van back by Thursday afternoon. I miss my van.

This completely sucks. No wonder they call it the "bleeding edge." I knew I was taking a risk by buying one of the first in the wave of NCV3s to hit North America, but I didn't expect any of my peers would have this much trouble. Sorry lildevildee. I hope this the last of your trauma and drama.

I've purchased a lot of parts from Mark, all of them correct and accurate. What did he say about the boo boo?

-Jon

lildevildee

Diesel goddess
I talked to Dave at Berry Dodge about the wrong bearing; apparently the catalog cross-referenced the wrong part. Anyway, he actually called to Spokane (the place my local dealer is getting the bearing from) and tried to get it from Spokane for me. Luckily, Spokane said no, lol! He is sending me out a box to return the bearing and will refund all money. Great place to work with; I will def. use them again. I *almost* said I'd just take a store credit but decided the money back on my card would be a bit better at this point.

I've had first model year vehicles before; I really don't expect everything to be perfect. Things happen. However, I will say that the Dodge service departments leave a LOT to be desired. My biggest gripe right now is the lack of a loaner. Normally this wouldn't be a problem as I firmly believe in always having a backup vehicle but we sold our Eurovan because we're getting ready to move. The other gripe I have about this whole thing is the lack of parts readily available.

However, even with this headache, I still wouldn't trade my Sprinter. The only way you could get me out of it is if I could get a T5 (Eurovan) with the 2.5L TDI and a 6-speed manual :drool:

Top Bottom