So what mileages are you folks seeing?

Atlee

I've only driven my fully loaded LTV 210A Free Spirit (long & tall chassis) 5,094 miles. It's been largely Interstate driving on hilly to small mountainous terrain. I've averaged 22.6 miles to the gallon.

Have a long trip coming up at Christmas. Going from Richmond, VA to Orlando, FL, to Atlanta, GA, and back to Richmond. Will be interesting to see the milage then.

Zach Woods

Hi Richard -

I guess that likely was me. I just didn't realize I was talking to the same person in two different places - many months apart.

In both cases I wanted to make certain we were comparing apples to apples. Folks are very focused on getting the best mileage they can. If they are hearing mileages that are not going to be possible with their vehicle's specifications this is just going to confuse the issue further.

Sounds like we can assume that you are doing the math right to convert volumes and distances properly.

We do know that your Sprinter has both a different engine and a different transmission (that are not available in North America). Both of these could have a big impact on fuel mileage.

I also have seen the following repeatedly (admittedly in a very un-scientific survey):

1. Folks that drive at lower highway speeds (60 mph or even lower - goal is to keep engine rev's down at least below 3000 rpm) are consistently getting better mileage.

2. Folks that accelerate cautiously and manage to keep the turbo from kicking in as much as possible on acceleration are consistently getting better mileage.

3. Folks that try to maintain as steady a speed as possible (minimize deceleration and, therefore, re-acceleration) are consistently getting better mileage.

Case in point: my wife and I both drive our Sprinter and our Mini. I get roughly 1 to 5 (difference is more dramatic in the Mini) mpg more than my wife does. I'm convinced that the difference is due to #'s 3, 2, and then 1, in that order of importance for us.

It would be interesting to have some of the mileage champs trade Sprinters with some of the folks who are getting lower mileage. I am pretty convinced that, on average, the mileage figures would follow the drivers more so than the vehicles.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Richard -

I guess that likely was me. I just didn't realize I was talking to the same person in two different places - many months apart.

Less than three weeks:smilewink:

In both cases I wanted to make certain we were comparing apples to apples. Folks are very focused on getting the best mileage they can. If they are hearing mileages that are not going to be possible with their vehicle's specifications this is just going to confuse the issue further.

Sounds like we can assume that you are doing the math right to convert volumes and distances properly.

We do know that your Sprinter has both a different engine and a different transmission (that are not available in North America). Both of these could have a big impact on fuel mileage.

You would be right to assume there would be a difference, in engine and auto configurations, but it should be no more than say three miles to the gallon less TOPS ranging in engines from the 308 through to the 616 CDi on the current Sprinters not the new one 2006 onwards.

I also have seen the following repeatedly (admittedly in a very un-scientific survey):

1. Folks that drive at lower highway speeds (60 mph or even lower - goal is to keep engine rev's down at least below 3000 rpm) are consistently getting better mileage.

This is not rocket science it's a proven fact! If one drives within this range you will have up to a 25 to 30% saving in fuel consumption, If you think about it, whilst in this mode your engine is running under almost zero strain it's as good as idle.

2. Folks that accelerate cautiously and manage to keep the turbo from kicking in as much as possible on acceleration are consistently getting better mileage.

Agree; If you can avoid excessive acceleration fuel being pumped into the engine will not require as much fuel to feed the higher RPM output a further saving on fuel, and less wear and tear on the engine management system.

3. Folks that try to maintain as steady a speed as possible (minimize deceleration and, therefore, re-acceleration) are consistently getting better mileage.
Now your seeing the big picture starting to emerge:cheers:

Case in point: my wife and I both drive our Sprinter and our Mini. I get roughly 1 to 5 (difference is more dramatic in the Mini) mpg more than my wife does. I'm convinced that the difference is due to #'s 3, 2, and then 1, in that order of importance for us.

Proves your above point! different strokes for different Folks

It would be interesting to have some of the mileage champs trade Sprinters with some of the folks who are getting lower mileage. I am pretty convinced that, on average, the mileage figures would follow the drivers more so than the vehicles.
Yes this does make sense, but it does depend on the given circumstances as to how the vehicle is being driven and where to and at what constant speeds? any thing above 65 miles per hour and the vehicle will consume more fuel.
My personal opinion is DCX made a bad management decision on offering two engines and the standard auto, that was not meant to be used for the larger Sprinters as it is used in the Vitro and VW T5 units it should have been the clutch less Sprintshift, both have been dropped for a new single auto for 2006 onwards it's out of a 2003 Mercedes sedan that will be interesting.

I've had a good look at edmonds and the yahoo spider biters having a constant and repetitive complaints over that auto tranny, it must be obvious to every man and his dog, that there is something seriously wrong in the U.S version of the Sprinter, it's not showing up anywhere else in the volume that is consistently showing up right through the North American sector, I'm starting to think it may be at assemble point down in North Carolina, may be a quality control issue? I mean does any one know how much of the Sprinter is assembled down in the old La France factory?
In the main manual there are fuel rating as to MPG possible between CDB Urban and open highway conditions vary depending on operating conditions, but when I hear 16 MPG and !8 to 20 MPG this is very poor figures for a Mercedes_Sprinter.
I'd be curious as to the MPG on a 316 standard Sprinter to the mid wheel base Sprinter up to the long wheel base Sprinter or even the 414 or 416 forgot which is which just to see a comparison Loaded and unloaded.

Here is a valid point to think about, second hand Sprinters are now starting to circulate form their original point of Origin, some have moved to snow country with out heater blocks as winter hits the U.S fuel changes from Summer to winter Diesel will also effect the economy of the sprinters right down to the point of stalling on a long distance run where intake filters are blocking up with snow which shuts down the Turbo unit , so a little extra care needs to be taken into account prior to a long winter haul with the proper additives to help prevent a possible breakdown , where one could be stuck in the middle of the wop-wop with only Jack frost to keep you company.
The new 2006 Sprinter has moved the intake filters to a different position so it's less unlikely for a filter to block with snow Brrrr':wtf:
Richard

Last edited:

Zach Woods

Hi Richard -

Passenger Sprinters arrive complete and receive little or no assembly in the US.

Cargo Sprinters arrive as "kits" (the US "Chicken Tax" has forced this on small imported commercial vehicles since the 1960's and this has kept many vehicles out of the US market) and are then assembled in the US.

My Westfalia arrives complete and was (other than Airstream's unfortunate "upfits") not assembled in the US.

Other RV's are likely brought in as either Passenger or Cargo (more likely cargo given the price difference and the effort required to strip a Passenger Sprinter).

I have not been the passenger in nor driven a Sprinter that was getting the dreaded Rumble Strip Noise (RSN). I experience something that appears at least similar on deceleration but according to everything I have read this is a different noise / circumstance.

It would be interesting to run a poll and try to determine if there appeared to be any correlation between assembly point (Germany vs. US) and RSN. We would still have the problem of determining if someone was truly aware of what RSN is and that could affect the results. But if 90% of the Cargo Sprinters (ie assembled in Germany) and only 10% of the Passenger Sprinters (ie assembled in US) are suffering from RSN this likely would show a pretty clear correlation.

I also have hoped that someone with better German language skills than I would peruse the German Sprinter forums and/or ask about RSN to see if it occurs/ what the diagnosis is on the continent. Anybody want to tackle this task?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Zack
Your busy today, it's 11.40 PM down under long day finishing off my report's for the U.N then a little shut eye before I go to Bruny Island for a week will send off some pics real nice place, The idea of separate section for the Rumble strip is a great idea, As For German sites had the same issue even though I can convert German to English those guys don't talk to foreigners much :tongue:
I'm dead set its some thing to do with the harmonic balancer going back into the flexiplate that setting of some type of resonance from the converter through into that tail-shaft,I know I have said this before but it's not happening with the auto's down under if they are it's far and few in-between.
PS have you found the Brabus Sprinter yet that I ran to-night.
Sleep time good-night.
Richard

Zach Woods

I have been carefully tracking my mileage over the last few weeks / trips.

Basically, my 2005 Airstream Sprinter Westfalia (2004 Sprinter Chassis) gets:

- 19.5 mpg highway when I drive it (typically at about a 70 mph average), and

- 17.5 mpg highway when my wife drives it (slightly slower average speed)

I'll report back if I notice any difference at slower speeds / in city driving.

soflo316

We are 1800 miles into a 3400 mile holiday trip from Florida to Vermont and back (with some side trips tacked on as well). I've filled up 4 times so far (not running totally empty of course).

The van is a 2006 118 Cargo with 6k on the clock, and I'm seeing 24mpg adjusted (you know, odometer is low cause of the big tires) at a very steady 72(actual GPS confirmed)mph 99% highway.
Todd

chaozz

06 140 standard roof..600 miles on it.
first tank got 21.5

If the vin starts with WD on a sprinter i believe there made in
Germany I know with the cargo i think they just ship in 2 pieces
and get bolted back together in the states.
and takes about 6 months to get from Germany to the sales floor.
i think the last 06 models have a production date of may 2006.
Of course this is what i have heard i have no proof.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Well I'm the first to admit after 18 months on the road getting 26MPG on average in urban areas fully loaded, and just over 31.3 MPG on a test highway run, real careful not to boost up the turbo:laughing: Last week I was down to 20 MPG on a coastal run 498 miles fully loaded at real snail pace MPH :thumbdown:
Going back in a weeks time, same run for a fortnight, I'll run it empty to see if I can get it back to 26.
Zack your right different MPG rating depends on how fast temp type of roads etc, so anywhere between 20 to 26 MPG should be normal for a Sprinter, anything less and A there is something wrong with either the mechanics of the vehicle or poor fuels, or B "your trying to run at speeds above 75 miles P/H" that can relate to a 30% loss in the economy of the vehicle.
Gee where would you be in a good old Chevy running at less than 10 miles to the gallon, heck that's like taking out a second mortgage:cry:
Richard
Mind you it has now covered thirty thousand K's on the same oil but it's not missing. runs like a good clock perfect.

Last edited:

derstar

i'm getting 750-800 MM a tank only... i don't know how many MPG is that...

Not too impressive for a 2.7L 100L Tanker. But superb for a truck. ALL GMs i had drink gas like a hog. Even the entrance motors.:yell:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
destar
Your running at just under or over 20miles to the gallon based on a 75 litre tank that's OK for flat footed highway:bow: hunters with Hyper turbo.
US Gallon 26.4 gallons give a point or two unless they have an optioned up tank for more of the jungle juice....Richard:thumbup:

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
2006 153" pw m/h 55-60 mph 22mpg. in TX. flat out at 80mph 14.8 mpg none stop for 4 hrs.
That completely verifies all of the information I've seen that Sprinters are totally speed-sensitive regarding mileage. I've never had a vehicle that was so sensitive to the speed driven. My last vehicle was a Ford Windstar that got almost the same mileage at 90mph as it did at 65 mph. Twice, I have gotten over 23 mpg in the Sprinter by never going over 60 mph; bouncing up to 65 moh a few times will drop it to 20 mpg.

chaozz

my 2nd tank dropped alittle to 20.5
but in san diego its near impossiable to
drive under 80 on the freeway.even if i
stay in the slow lane at 70 i get honked at.
i can live with 20 or 21..
just added the amsoil fuel additive that
says 5% increase ill see if i get a extra 20-25 miles
on this tank.

Zach Woods

Possible answer to question of Imperial vs. US Gallons.

It appears that the Imperial Gallon is 20% larger than the US Gallon. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_Imperial_and_U.S._customary_systems).

This means that it is important to clarify if you are listing MPG figures in Imperial gallons or if you are converting from liters per kilometer to MPG using Imperial gallons.

This could explain some of the highest / unusually high MPG figures that are sometimes quoted.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Australian conversion to MPG,..If I try to convert by US Gallon as an example the maths of principle are From liters its about 98.9 percent accurate as to the nearest decimal point.
I'd prefer to use the actual kilometer range of a vehicle driven on a full tank of fuel, refill at the end of the trip , match up the liters used and convert to miles, which gives the MPG figure.
European vehicles as such Australian imports, do have the smaller more efficient engines from the full range up from the 308 CDi up to the 616CDi manual and auto.
Fuel is of a higher quality which is a bonus to the lesser quality fuels in the US. Speed limits in Australia are strict, so 65 MPH is the top speed in most places, lower speeds, means a higher economy of fuel use careful driving also increases the end result of fuels used at the end of the month, different locations as to per say CBD,Urban, and Hi-way use , flat ground , headwinds,tire pressures and how the vehicle is maintained or even whether it's under full load or part empty, including weight distributions all give different readings.
Richard:rant:

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
As of the end of 2006 our Sprinter had gone 12,429 miles in a combination of short, medium, and long drives on level roads and winding mountain roads, city traffic and Interstate traffic, sometimes with all holding tanks full and packed for a trip and sometimes as light as it could be without taking out the furniture and the "always haul" essentials. We generally drive slightly (3-5miles) over the speed limit and don't beat all the traffic away from stops. the cumulative mpg has been 20.52.

Top Bottom