Any one think of modify their ECU?

derstar

As i have chipped my Sprinter 04 for more than 50,000 Km, i have notice a few side effect being chipped over stock.

1. Lousy differential under rev (since now the boost is rised, rev is rised, torque band also lifted), thats bad for your tranmission. And it frequently annoys me since i spent alot of time on highway and 5th in 100-110 km/h is powerless and noisy with the diff.
2. More obvious diesel knocks (not sure if it has do with fuel quality in Canada)
3. Turbo off once a while driving, until you restart the engine

And i will also list the good things about chipping your Sprinter.
1. Slicely or no fuel increase
2. Very brutal explosive power, unlike those mumbo America V8, i have had V8 trucks from all big threes. Have always surprise cars at the stop light how fast the Sprinter can launch and goaway.
3. No affect with your tires and brakes (my tires lasted 100,000 km.) Front Brakes 50,000 km and Rear Brakes 100,000 km.

Hope you guys find this information useful.

Also one thing, my turbo gone at 96000km. I have no answer if it has to do with the chip, but you can decide your own... :cheers:

Greetings from Canada

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hello de'Star Dude your back to your old aviator:thumbup:
Glad you came down for a look see I'm sure you will enjoy it the guys are great.
Question I was not about when John was putting in the information for the turbo blowing !But I could not work out what you meant by mapping?
Any way I don't think you did too much wrong, chipping up to the next size should not have effected the motor, engine that much, unless you had the sensors set wrong, as for the diff, that should have nothing to do with the chipping of the motor I'' see If I can get our mobile mechanic to explain that as I have not had the chance tp PM him as of yet.
You quoted RPM's that's not high at 130KLM 3000-3300 on the rev counter is standard for any sprinter once up to the speed of 130 KLM and the turbo's gone to sleep anyway, so it should not be active when in cruise mode well it isn't on a manual anyway
Fuel and oil as I have been posting in MBcanada is an issue and it can effect a modern engine Oh! Liars posted this link last week it brushes around the issues of oils etc and it DID SPECIFY RED-LINE Lubricants as the prefered addative.
ZDDP OLDER ENGINES - Topic Powered by eve community
It does go to say what I had tried to say in the past, sort of really got peed off when MB went down, Gee there was some cracker-jack info lost:bash:
I guess you starting to run winter tires now on the Sprinter the 401 has salt laid down doesn't it

Richard
And just for you, a few of your favourite toys " Smoke em' Dude"
galerie-222-6.jpg

galerie-222-7.jpg

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
As i have chipped my Sprinter 04 for more than 50,000 Km, i have notice a few side effect being chipped over stock.
What was the model of your chip?

1. Lousy differential under rev (since now the boost is rised, rev is rised, torque band also lifted), thats bad for your tranmission. And it frequently annoys me since i spent alot of time on highway and 5th in 100-110 km/h is powerless and noisy with the diff.
2. More obvious diesel knocks (not sure if it has do with fuel quality in Canada)
3. Turbo off once a while driving, until you restart the engine
On Point 1: are you implying that the chip impacted electronic transmission control functions also?
Point 2: Increased knocking is a bad sign that something is seriously not right - anyone who ignores this sign is inviting big repair bills.
Point 3: This seems to imply certain sensors have either been bypassed/ignored/not tied into the new chip.

2. Very brutal explosive power, unlike those mumbo America V8, i have had V8 trucks from all big threes. Have always surprise cars at the stop light how fast the Sprinter can launch and goaway.
Sounds like this chip's program is way outside of reasonable parameters - and that may be why all the other problems listed.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
HK de'Star did this over six months ago , the tubo let go in the end I could not work out by what he meant remapping by upping the turbo boost my thoughts were he did not program the sensors to specifications , Qeustion is if you know? How do you do it, I have looked at the dio/disc from Mercedes and it has a set pprogram can't alter it between power chips, as 95% of our Sprinters run manual there may be a differencs to the program of Auto v Manual very few, and I mean very few Sprinters have issues down under, but they are fussy with and play up with fuel problems, 99% of the time the owner has been been the culprit.
Appreciate your comments
Richard.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Richard: No, I don't know either. I was thinking more along the line of whether the chip reprograming may have changed the exhaust tempertures and possibly the pressures that may have cooked the sensors around the vicinity of the turbo.

You might try asking Andy Bittenbinder on the YahooSprinterVan site - even though he is an independent, he has some of the equipment and more knowledge than most DC trained technicians on the electronics of the Sprinter.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Richard: No, I don't know either. I was thinking more along the line of whether the chip reprograming may have changed the exhaust tempertures and possibly the pressures that may have cooked the sensors around the vicinity of the turbo.

You might try asking Andy Bittenbinder on the YahooSprinterVan site - even though he is an independent, he has some of the equipment and more knowledge than most DC trained technicians on the electronics of the Sprinter.
HI HK
I'm not so sure if I will ever get to the bottom of this, Hope you don't take me the wrong way, I'm mad over the problems N/Americans sector has had with the Sprinters, it's as if DCX took out their hearts Sprinters down under are everywhere, My state has the largest amount of them than everywhere else,in a nut shell very few have any problems and they clock the one hundred million mark with a reasonable precentage of the harder working units, with out the engine ever being touched under extreme conditions the air duct into the turbo can clog up (Filter) which increases the temp to the point of shut down or limp home mode, again sound like a stuck record, fuel and oil can also contribute to the lesser running of the sprinter, which in turn creates a problem of whatever, de'Star runs his sprinter as a coach bus from the airport to the city, so He is not under heavy load conditions, and I'm sure he does not run at the high speed end, to close to police speed camera's.
I'll drop into the other sprinter section to see what I may be able to find etc.
Thanks Richard

derstar

Guys, sorry sorry for the late late late reply, but do forgive me please since i'm very busy at work and the new born is close up to 6 months :thumbup:

Now he is much better... he can sleep all the way to morning :bow:

HKpierce: what does HK stand for do u mind explaining? i'm thinking a place, a hifi brand or a ferry company :professor:

Back to topic, i have no idea what exactly the ECU rewrite, maybe here helps explaining - http://www.upsolute.com/ .All i know is giving more boost on the turbo to get more power.

The turbo seal just gone, thus the turbo blows since it is running a few thousand RPM without lubrication. I don't know of any turbo diesel on earth will have problem like such, not toyota, not hino, not mitsu...etc.

What was the model of your chip?

On Point 1: are you implying that the chip impacted electronic transmission control functions also?
Point 2: Increased knocking is a bad sign that something is seriously not right - anyone who ignores this sign is inviting big repair bills.
Point 3: This seems to imply certain sensors have either been bypassed/ignored/not tied into the new chip.

Sounds like this chip's program is way outside of reasonable parameters - and that may be why all the other problems listed.

Point 1: i don't think the chip can modify much with the gearbox, but it can commands the tranny to hold each shift higher (to give it a more sporty feels like AMG tranny). It can also shift up or down where the strongest torque can be, at least it can shift up horsepower let say from the peak power band from 3000 rpm to 3300 rpm. Let say, 158 hp was suppose to locate at 3000 rpm, but now, it upshifted or lowered to 2600 rpm, and meanwhile now at 3000 rpm, it makes 180 horsepower. i know i'm not explaining clearly, but i hope you get my point... so now here is the thing, the tranny now shifts differently at different point each time. It might possible create confusion on the transmission logic.

Pt#2: I don't know about this, but for gasoline car that is chipped require better/higher octane fuel. Do we needed better diesel for chipped diesel?

Pt#3: Possiblily we might never find out except if we know someone work at some chip company.

Here is the scario... we can't really blame the chip company and i'm not intended to, the constant equation to me is cause and effect, gain on something will lose on something. i've seen a few vw/audi had the same problem, on their popular 1.8T motor.

Altered Sprinter is right... we use the Sprinter as daily transport only. And honestly we are restricted up to 135 km at max. Traffic in Toronto will not allow you to be that fast all the time. But one thing now... where we work everyday is just a few minuts off the highway, and we don't idle abit before we turn off the motor, would that be the final cause for the turbo failure?

derstar

Hope i answered most of the answer...

But does remind me if i have not.

Richard: Hmmm, maybe the "chip" has nothing to do with tranmission at all? the chip simply changes enlarge the turbo ouput only, thus nothing to do with auto and manual. I am also thinking about the "W" and "S" button on Mercedes Benz... does the power only goes more on S and W still remains slow mode. :bash:

OMG, that Sprinter is DRIFTING! hehe, someone teach how to turn off ESP? :rad:

Last edited:

derstar

BTW, did i mention we have experienced at least 5 times of loosing turbo power while driving? in different scenario, different time, different weather, different temperature! nothing in common...

but everytime, we solve the problem simpily restart the motor.

But it is scary if the turbo shuts off complete on the highway! i've experience once! on a 10 lane highway, i have to pull off to restart again. i was driving 110 km/h.

:thumbdown:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
derstar said:
1. Lousy differential under rev
What does that mean?

You had your van chipped by Upsolute?

Better Diesel required you ask? No. All my VW Diesels are chipped, no problems.

Why chip a shuttle bus? Seems strange to me, are you often late in getting to your customers:smilewink: ?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hope i answered most of the answer...

But does remind me if i have not.

Richard: Hmmm, maybe the "chip" has nothing to do with tranmission at all? the chip simply changes enlarge the turbo ouput only, thus nothing to do with auto and manual. I am also thinking about the "W" and "S" button on Mercedes Benz... does the power only goes more on S and W still remains slow mode. :bash:

OMG, that Sprinter is DRIFTING! hehe, someone teach how to turn off ESP? :rad:
Put a dam big traction bar on it and super soft shocks , the ESP will shut down in disgust.
Just joking My old friend
My latest thoughts on the Sprinter are purely speculative! I'm wondering if the wiring programs was a re design for the US Sprinter
remember the big issue with the Toyota Avalon last year up in Canada, now that vehicle is Australian designed and built under Toyota's guidance of course, when these went to the U.S The engineer's totally re-designed the wireing program , for the extra items the US wanted like heated seats and a heap of other things, funny they broke down right left and centre
Nuts:popcorn:
Richard

derstar

What does that mean?

You had your van chipped by Upsolute?

Better Diesel required you ask? No. All my VW Diesels are chipped, no problems.

Why chip a shuttle bus? Seems strange to me, are you often late in getting to your customers:smilewink: ?
Sorry, i mean Noisy. When underpowered, the tranny is used to pull the differential to drive the car. Bad for the tranny.

Chipping? purely for getting more milage out of the fuel my first intention :shhh:

But gee, after chipped ,the Sprinter is MORE explosive than chipped 1.8T, more like the new 2.0T. Will show you if you come by to GTA... :cheers:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Har' now you admit it! you speed freak, I remember when you said flatten them metals to the floor :tongue: as you flew past the local SUV's
Richard

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
derstar, my question: who is the manufacturer and or who installed your performance chip? Was it "Upsolute" brand? Other?

I'll be in Montreal this Labor, or as you Canadians say "Labour" Day weekend for a big Diesel car gathering. See you there!

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
derstar said:
Chipping? purely for getting more milage out of the fuel my first intention
Problem is that when you get that extra power, sometimes it can be hard to keep your foot out of it:smilewink: Better fuel economy is usually not one of the results of chip tuning.

Yup, upsolute did mine...

Now my friends told me stories about upsolute...
I'd either have it returned to stock of find another supplier if it is causing problems. Simply not worth it.

I'll likely have mine done, it will be by "Rocketchip". It's on the "want" list not the "need" list unfortunately.

derstar

Yup...

Our next Sprinter will NOT be chipped... it just don't feel 100% as reliable and durable as stock.

Oh well... shall wait for coming summer :rolleyes:

SprinterUSA1

Hi guys,

not that I think this will actually work, on top of the fact that it will actually not even work on the Sprinter (see FAQ :thinking::thinking::thinking:). But would it not be nice to actually increase the mileage by 8 or even 12mpg? I would be through the roof if this would work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL...017QQitemZ270183124573QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Anyway, if anyone here has any idea what this $10 part is and what it actually does, let me know. Just curious that's all.
My chip has been ordered but it was not a "bargain".

SprinterUSA1

greasy

Sprinter-ized
Hi guys,

not that I think this will actually work, on top of the fact that it will actually not even work on the Sprinter (see FAQ :thinking::thinking::thinking:). But would it not be nice to actually increase the mileage by 8 or even 12mpg? I would be through the roof if this would work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL...017QQitemZ270183124573QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Anyway, if anyone here has any idea what this $10 part is and what it actually does, let me know. Just curious that's all.
My chip has been ordered but it was not a "bargain".

SprinterUSA1

If you check the feed back, It looks like they are selling a 4.7 Ohm resister. I don't think it will work on our diesel Sprinters. You can buy the same thing at Radio Shack for about $0.99 :crazy:

Top Bottom