2014 Great West Vans Legend SE

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Randy, I run a 1 cup Keurig off the inverter. It's an older Keurig model.. No reservoir. Draws about 600W according to inverter panel.
Hmmm... Everyone runs a Keurig but me. My unit is the B31, the "mini" but I also have the last years model 65 something and both units hooked to my Kill-a-watt show 1400 watts when the heater is running, about 2 minutes for a cup of coffee. The non-mini has a reservoir that allows me to heat a second cup more quickly but then will continue to heat that reservoir even if I don't make that second cup, so I like the mini, and it fits in the RV cabinets.

What model of Keurig will work and only draw 600 watts? I could get away with a 1000 watt inverter if I could find one like that. Might take 3 times as long, but the point is to not run the generator first thing in the AM.

-Randy

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Speaking of Keurigs, they (or at least the one I have) keep water inside them permanently once they have been used once, and there is apparently no easy way to drain them. Does everybody take them in the house during winterization? I did so, but it is a minor pain, since ours is screwed onto the slide-out shelf.

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Hmmm... Everyone runs a Keurig but me. My unit is the B31, the "mini" but I also have the last years model 65 something and both units hooked to my Kill-a-watt show 1400 watts when the heater is running, about 2 minutes for a cup of coffee. The non-mini has a reservoir that allows me to heat a second cup more quickly but then will continue to heat that reservoir even if I don't make that second cup, so I like the mini, and it fits in the RV cabinets.

What model of Keurig will work and only draw 600 watts? I could get away with a 1000 watt inverter if I could find one like that. Might take 3 times as long, but the point is to not run the generator first thing in the AM.

-Randy
Randy, it looks like the current 1 cup Keurig brewer is the K-10 Plus. My one cup is not a K10 it was made several years ago. But the K-10 sounds similar. Cup at a time. No reservoir. There is a single shot resevoir under the lid. Catch tray. Different sizes of cups, remove tray for mug. Java in 3 or 4 minutes. Mine draws 600W actual. Stores easy.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
BTW: Be aware that (since their patents have expired), Keurig is transitioning to a new generation of machines ("Keurig 2") that will refuse to accept non-Keurig licensed k-cups (some kind of DRM system). So, you might want to buy your classic Keurig machine while they are still available. OTOH, unlicensed competing machines will probably start to appear, so their land grab may not succeed.

Davydd

Keurig probably is only harming themselves. The Keurig 2 machines only control what K-cups can be used. I guess they want to make money by licensing. There is a way to defeat the Keurig 2 and YouTube has several videos showing how to do it. At home we have a Keurig and I noticed Trader Joe's already has different cups that wouldn't work in a Keurig 2. Also the re-usable cups you fill yourself supposedly would not work in the Keurig 2.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
This is what you'll use:

125 amps x 0.25 hrs (15 min.) = 31 amps - Keurig Coffee Maker
336 amps x 0.08 hrs (5 min.) = 27 amps - 1875 watt hair dryer
75 amps x .08 hrs (5 min.) = 6 amps - Convection/Microwave Oven (900 W)
134 amps x .07 hrs (4 min.) = 9 amps - Toaster

Total: 73 amps if you use all four items. You will also have lights, fans, inverter loss, parasitic, etc. to monitor but you could do all that paying attention to your usage.
Hmmm...

Those are 4 items I would never consider using in a rv, nor use electricity for/as an energy source to convert to heat....

Davydd

Hmmm...

Those are 4 items I would never consider using in a rv, nor use electricity for/as an energy source to convert to heat....

Why not if you have the battery bank energy and inverter to do so and can invert to 120VAC in a boondocking situation? It is all stuff one takes for granted in a shore power situation.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Why not if you have the battery bank energy and inverter to do so and can invert to 120VAC in a boondocking situation? It is all stuff one takes for granted in a shore power situation.
Excusing the hairdryer, Propane is cheaper, both in operating and investment costs.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Who makes a propane microwave?

I only had a 1000 watt house inverter and was able to run a 600 watt microwave off a 255 amp-hr battery. Fortunately microwave use is for short periods of time. Power required is above the inverter rating and into the surge capacity of the inverter. Did run it once for 10 minutes. Microwave would reduce SOC by 1% for each two minutes of operation.

The original 700 watt microwave did not work so I know the 600 watt is close to max. The 600 watt microwave is a cheap $50.00 K-Mart marketed Proctor-Silex. Simple old fashioned two mechanical dials for heat setting and time. No pushbuttons or clock so no draw when it is off.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Well, I admit we don't carry a toaster. But, given that a non-exotic electric system can handle these loads just fine, it seems kind of ascetic to deny oneself such simple pleasures and conveniences.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Randy, it looks like the current 1 cup Keurig brewer is the K-10 Plus. My one cup is not a K10 it was made several years ago. But the K-10 sounds similar. Cup at a time. No reservoir. There is a single shot resevoir under the lid. Catch tray. Different sizes of cups, remove tray for mug. Java in 3 or 4 minutes. Mine draws 600W actual. Stores easy.
Yes, that is the same as mine, 1400 watts. What is your model so I can look for it on eBay, funny that I want the old slow one and they are busy making the new super fast ones available. And with DRM...

-Randy

pattonsr

Can someone tell me what a Keurig would do for serious coffee drinkers? My wife and I go through daily 12 cups of fresh ground Ruta Maya Dark Roast beans (Austin, TX) that are found at Costco. Each sealed bag is 2.2 pounds and lasts less than two weeks.

We drink the strong coffee straight. So why would we want to buy a Keurig? How would we keep our two cup mugs full at the same time when we get up in the morning without a wait? I must be missing something since the Keurig is so popular.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Can someone tell me what a Keurig would do for serious coffee drinkers? My wife and I go through daily 12 cups of fresh ground Ruta Maya Dark Roast beans (Austin, TX) that are found at Costco. Each sealed bag is 2.2 pounds and lasts less than two weeks.

We drink the strong coffee straight. So why would we want to buy a Keurig? How would we keep our two cup mugs full at the same time when we get up in the morning without a wait? I must be missing something since the Keurig is so popular.
My wife and I are in the same category. We have a Keuirg at home, but only use it when we need a random cup at a random time. In the van it is an entirely different proposition. Nothing beats my wife being able to make me a quick cup while we are driving down the road.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
For the RV the Keurig is a great solution as keeping beans in the RV that I may not travel in for months and then just "end up" somewhere leads to not very fresh coffee. Each Keurig is individually sealed so I can leave the stuff in there for a very long time and when I go to make a cup, that one cup has not been sitting. Before the Keurig I was using those instant Starbucks packs, ick.
I have a Capresso burr grind and brew, so I liked taking the fresh beans and making a cup each morning. But then you come back before finally leaving for work and the stuff has been sitting, ugh. The Capresso has a carafe, so it's not like it's been stewing, but it's still not a fresh cup. The wife also likes to wake on her schedule often so my 5 am coffee is not making 7 am Tina happy. She was microwaving it and just doing awful things. So when her work got a Keurig to avoid the burning smelling coffee waiting for her to come and drink she started pushing for one at home. Now the beans for the Capresso are so old I have moved it to the attic. We buy Keurig in bulk to make it sort of affordable.

-Randy

Last edited:

Davydd

We have a Keurig and a regular drip coffee maker at home. In the morning we brew a pot for about 4 cups in the drip coffee maker. After that we may or may not use the Keurig for a random cup of coffee during the day. I use the K-cups. My wife uses regular coffee in a prepare it yourself plastic cup insert. The other thing a Keurig does is brew single cups of tea or hot chocolate. It only takes a couple of minutes to brew a cup in a Keurig so the simultaneous thing is not that critical to us. The other advantage of Keurig is my wife likes light blends and I like dark blends. we can have what we want. You can also try varieties or whatever you feel like at the time. In the afternoon I sometimes go for a dessert coffee like a chocolate mocha. K-cups are more expensive but maybe less wasteful.

We are getting a Keurig in the built in pull out tray in our kitchen gallery. We have the space to carry a drip coffee maker if we decide it is better to fill up our two cup travel Thermoses. We could switch the Keurig out if we change our minds and install the drip coffee maker. The drip coffee maker we have at home would fit the tray.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I am putting in a TriMetric TM-2030-RV battery monitor. The only hard part of this is installing the shunt. Instead of using a short length of cable and finding a way to mount the shunt, I decided to make a battery bus bar. Here's how I did it:

I started with a 3.5" length of 3/4" copper tubing. I flattened it using a vice and then a hammer:

Shined it up and rounded the corners with a grinder:

Drilled and shaped:

Here's what the battery wiring looked like before the shunt:

And after:

(The lower wire goes to the other battery, so it doesn't run through the shunt.)

Top Bottom