Fuel Leak from High Pressure Injection Pump

City Clean

My 2003 "Dodge" started leaking fuel from the lines coming out of the HP Injection pump. I replaced the o-rings and seals on the lines that I thought was the problem. Tried to re-start it but drained the battery. Had AAA come and give me a jump but could not get it to fire. Bled the lines as directed, I think we finally got all the air out because I see fuel in the clear lines now and not air. Still will not fire up. Did notice more leaking from the back side of the injection pump, too. AAA guy left after and hour. So now I have a dead battery to boot. Still leaking and I'm about to throw in the towel and call for tow to Freighliner maintenance. Any help, quickly, will be appreciated.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
All right, I went through a similiar problem.
You need to bleed the lines at the injectors. Unplug the camshaft sensor so the van doesn't start- wait- first get a new battery. Then have one person in the van turning the engine over while you bleed each metal fuel line right at the injectors. Just slowly unscrew the fitting and you will hear air hissing out and as soon as you get some fuel squirting out, close it. Rest the starter for a few seconds and do the next injector. This was my last step in fully bleeding my system after installing a new high pressure pump.
Oh- watch out for the fuel squirting out of the point where the metal lines meet the head of the injector. It's a SUPER HIGH pressure system at that point.
I hope I'm making sense. If not, ask questions and I or someone else on the list will answer.
DON'T TOW IT TO THE STEALERSHIP YET! :thumbup:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
My 2003 "Dodge" started leaking fuel. Did notice more leaking from the back side of the injection pump, too.

Still leaking and I'm about to throw in the towel and call for tow to Freighliner maintenance. Any help, quickly, will be appreciated.
The leakage is from the hi pump.

You can pay Freightliner for a new pump or call my Sprinter Hot Line 412-366-6165 and arrange for a very affordable rebuild of your pump.

Doktor A

wolfie

The Inventor
I am just getting into this, because I am dealing with a couple of faulty injectors right now. I haven't done this yet, so take my advice with a pinch of salt. But this is what I would do, if I had that problem.

First of all, from what I understand, the fuel injectors will not work if the fuel pressure coming from the fuel pump is not at the proper level. Therefore, my first priority would be to fix the leak.

I checked the service manual and couldn't find anything about bleeding the system. But there are several websites that describe it and basically recommend a two-step approach. First ensure that there is no air in the fuel pump. (I'd check that on the return line coming from the pump.) Only then should you bleed the lines to the injectors.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I checked the service manual and couldn't find anything about bleeding the system. But there are several websites that describe it and basically recommend a two-step approach. First ensure that there is no air in the fuel pump. (I'd check that on the return line coming from the pump.) Only then should you bleed the lines to the injectors.
Forget the bleeding of injector lines.

Bleeding of air is only necessary on the feed side (suction side) on a 612.

With a fully functional high pump AND the supply side fully purged of air, the high side will self bleed quickly

Doktor A.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Doktor A (Andy Bittenbinder 864-623-9110) sells rebuilt HP fuel pumps...
many original pumps had not been properly tightened at the factory, and developed leaks.

--dick

Last edited by a moderator:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Doktor A (Andy Bittenbinder 864-623-9110) sells rebuilt HP fuel pumps...
many original pumps had not been properly tightened at the factory, and developed leaks.

--dick
The bolt loosening, resulting in fuel leakage, issue applies to '04-'06 647 pumps ONLY.

Not the '02-'03 hi pumps, which suffer uniquely different fuel leakage issues or failures.

Doktor A

Dr A, I had a leaking low pressure hose (the two flexible elbows that feed the high pressure pump). I'm replacing them now and I was wondering if I should take the HP pump off (while I have it ripped apart) and check it for tightness even though I haven't had any leakage there? Its an '04 OM647 with 75,000.

Thanks

Last edited:

Johan

...the '02-'03 hi pumps, which suffer uniquely different fuel leakage issues or failures.
Doktor A
Question. What would cause a fairly severe fule leak from the left side of the hi-pump when the engine is cold in the morning? Our '03 2500 OM612 has just developed this.

Background: The hard plastic lines were replaced a few months back at the suggestion of the mechanic Durring the replacment of the serpentine belt he noticed some fuel residue in that area. The reasoning at the time was that the white rubber type gaskets were worn. (Worth a mention, we burn B-100 from a large local producer.) After the lines were replaced he did a check up and there was no evidence of leakage.

Then the other morning my employee complained that the van wouldn't start. I investigated, gave it a 8 second crank with a no start. Waited. Gave it a second crank and withing 5 seconds it caught. It choked for a few moments and then smoothed out. It seemed as though it had lost it's prime. I unlatched the hood to investigate for loose fittings, and upon walking around the front of the van noticed the accumulated puddle of fuel on the shop floor.
I left it running and peeked underneath. I noticed that the fuel was dripping steadily, but slowing. I placed a clean cardboard under, and let it idle for aprox 5 minutes. The dripping slowly tapered off. It's leaking directly onto the alternator. This I am sure is not good. We did our short delivery run (15km round trip) and had no problems. We shut the van off several times durring that run, and didn't notice any starting issues or large puddles of fuel accumulating.

I parked it scratching my head. It sat for 3 days. This morning I went to start it. The temp this morn was around 10ºC. Same story. Crank, no start, inspected, saw the fuel puddle, cranked more, started, leak dissipated.

Any advice?

SRT2

Hi-Miler
That is EXACTLY what one of mine did yesterday. I took it out of service until I can figure it out...

Johan

That is EXACTLY what one of mine did yesterday. I took it out of service until I can figure it out...
I looked deep into the forum today And talked to the mechanic, I believe after both of these that my high-pressure injection pump needs to be pulled and inspected for possible loose bolts. I'm going to get into it tomorrow hopefully. You may want to consider the same?

kappy5003

I have an 05 316 T1N and had a similar experience, mine started with the smell of fuel, on inspection could see a fine mist from around but no where in particular around the high pressure pump.This smell of fuel in hindsight had been going for a while, but I hadn't noticed signs of leakage.

Within 30 mins of noticing the mist it was a gusher that appeared either from hoses or loose bolts. Panic.

The o rings inside the pump fail not real common but does happen.

Quote to recon $800 new $1200 is Oz.

Finally get one from UK genuine MB for $600 incl postage. refitted all good no prob since that is maybe 2 years ago.

Ive Since discovered one can buy kit for around $50, a bit fiddly but possible in a clean environment.

Cheers

SRT2

Hi-Miler
I looked deep into the forum today And talked to the mechanic, I believe after both of these that my high-pressure injection pump needs to be pulled and inspected for possible loose bolts. I'm going to get into it tomorrow hopefully. You may want to consider the same?
I got a call from Doktor A today in response to a message I had left him in which i described the problem.

He suggested simply removing the pump and checking for loose bolts, and individually reinstalling the bolts with blue thread locking compound. :thumbup:

I'll post the results tomorrow evening....

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I got a call from Doktor A today in response to a message I had left him in which i described the problem.

He suggested simply removing the pump and checking for loose bolts, and individually reinstalling the bolts with blue thread locking compound. :thumbup:

I'll post the results tomorrow evening....
Group members should re-read my previous Dr. A Tech Alert on the subject of leakage from 647 ('04-'06) high pressure pumps and the simple fix of removal for tightening the 6 hidden bolts on the back side of the pump.

'02-'03 612 high pump leakage indicates a rebuild is necessary. 612 owners can contact me for that service. https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7351

Doktor A

jsimson

Just a tip about replacing the two fuel hoses at the high pressure pump - and a question! I saw that one of the hoses was leaking so I bought a length of the kind that works with biodiesel. Thought it would be a snap. Well, as most of you know, the tight bend of the hose means that you need to use formed hoses for the job. As I was talking with the dealer parts guy who was running into trouble figuring out what hoses I needed, I googled "tight bend fuel hose" and found out about placing a spring in the hose. I happened to have the right size springs, pushed and pulled them into the short lengths of hose, and what da ya know - a nice round bend for a very short radius! It works, and I figure that I have better hose than the stock formed ones.

So, the question. Has anybody heard of this being done, and does it last a long time? Or is this a quick fix. For sure, if I keep these spring loaded fuel hoses in place, I'll make a couple of spares just in case!

[EDIT HKP] - This post and # 18-20 below discussion appears to be related to OM647, NOT OM612

sailquik

It could work, in the long term, but what are the springs made of....steel, stainless steel?
And what if the spring slips into the HP fuel pump and tears the pump up.
What will you have saved then, over the factory OEM molded hose and the correct "clik clamps"?
Why did you pick a hose that works with biodiesel.....Sprinter's do not well on biodiesel unless you make the complete conversion,
and even then, I'm not so sure in the long run.
All the Owners Manuals I've seen recommend against using biodiesel.
Was this a T1N '04-'06 OM-647?
If so, the molded bends do not cost much, and if you use the Clik clamps, or purchase real fuel injection line
hose clamps, the problem is solved, virtually for the life of the engine.
Roger

Last edited:

bc339

Yes, it's a known technique and is even installed in radiator hoses to keep the return line from collapsing. You may also see them installed on the outside of garden hoses for the same purpose.
Is there a bad side to this? If the spring breaks, possible engine or fuel pump damage? Maybe, maybe not. When a spring fails, they usually break at one point and don't fragment. Just a point to consider.
Sounds like a good temporary fix, though.

Bruce

jsimson

Thank you for your responses. I run about a quart of biodiesel with every fill up for its lubricity. It's a 2006, so clogging the exhaust filters of later models isn't an issue. The reason I'm interested in "better" fuel hose is because my Sprinter only has 77,000 miles on it - seems like awfully low miles to have a fuel hose rot out! But, I'll consider this a nifty quick fix - gives me time to find them from someone other than my local dealer with a goofy parts guy!

Top Bottom