Orton DIY - Wireway

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Thought there might be some interest in a good solution to contain the wiring from front of van to back. I wanted to keep all the wiring accessible for changes and additions. Did not want wires buried inside a wall. Discarded Mercedes plastic wire covers and replaced with a Panduit wireway with a snap on cover. The upper left wall of my van is insulated and covered by 1/4" painted plywood with the wireway bolted to the plywood. Almost all of the wall will be behind cabinets. My conversion wiring and the original Mercedes loom is in the wireway. Center of van ceiling LED lighting wires go from fixture along roof rib into wireway and down to my centrally located distribution center. The wireway is 1 1/2" sq. Panduit part # FS1.5x1.5LG6 with cover C1.5LG6. LG6 denotes that wireway and cover are 6' long. I used 1/4-20NC x 3/4" elevator bolts to bolt wireway to wall. Did not want to puncture insulation so used flat elevator bolts.

Attachments

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Two years ago I had owned the van for a year and was wondering how to convert it. Finally decided I needed to sell my business if I was ever going to make any progress. I am still at it two years later and still only about 2/3rds done. Would never have guessed how much time would be required. It has been very interesting and I enjoy using my engineering backgound to come up with a way to do something in the van. The best part was unexpected. I am again using my hands and a well equipped shop both of which had sat dormant.

Two years ago I had owned the van for a year and was wondering how to convert it. Finally decided I needed to sell my business if I was ever going to make any progress. I am still at it two years later and still only about 2/3rds done. Would never have guessed how much time would be required. It has been very interesting and I enjoy using my engineering backgound to come up with a way to do something in the van. The best part was unexpected. I am again using my hands and a well equipped shop both of which had sat dormant.
Nice idea. Looks great. :thumbup:

If you plan to re-wire changes in the future this works well for coming out where you want. Here's one example.

DGductLG-72.jpg

Panduit is one manufacturer.

http://www.panduit.com/Products/ProductOverviews/WiringDuct/index.htm

I used it for wire management in lab bench installations with good results. vic

Top Bottom