REST and airtronics

ed1380

could someone please explain how the REST system works. I know the manual says that it runs off the leftover heat of the engine, but I believe it is tied into the airtronics system that is installed. Also I was wondering what the button next to the REST button is for

Thanks

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The REST system is pretty simple:
When you turn it on, it starts the electric coolant circulating pump, and the interior heater's fan to speed one.
15 (or 30?) minutes later, it turns itself off.

It does NOT use the Booster or Auxiliary heater.

By keeping coolant circulating between the (hopefully) still-warm engine block and your in-cabin heater core (basically a small radiator), it moves residual heat from the engine to your cabin.

--dick

could someone please explain how the REST system works. I know the manual says that it runs off the leftover heat of the engine, but I believe it is tied into the airtronics system that is installed. Also I was wondering what the button next to the REST button is for

Thanks
I attempt to explain the various heater options here. Have fun. vic

Go to post #62

Stoopid Things I Shoulds Known
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3301

autostaretx

Erratic Member
vic said:
I attempt to explain the various heater options here. Have fun. vic
That list of options left out the T1N's rear cabin heat exchanger option: H13.
That consists of a switch on the dash to turn it on, which opens a valve allowing engine coolant to go back to another heater core located under the floor behind the driver's seat.
There's a fan blowing across the core, capable of two speeds (the "on" switch is a three position switch: off, low and high speed).
There's a plastic "register" which pulls air in at floor level just behind the driver's seat and exhausts warmed air from under the first row of rear cabin seats.
(i have to admit that i've never found it useful... turning on the front heater (with boost/auxiliary if need be) full blast does a better job of warming the rear). Too much plumbing out in the breezes...

--dick

talkinghorse43

That list of options left out the T1N's rear cabin heat exchanger option: H13.
That consists of a switch on the dash to turn it on, which opens a valve allowing engine coolant to go back to another heater core located under the floor behind the driver's seat.
There's a fan blowing across the core, capable of two speeds (the "on" switch is a three position switch: off, low and high speed).
There's a plastic "register" which pulls air in at floor level just behind the driver's seat and exhausts warmed air from under the first row of rear cabin seats.
(i have to admit that i've never found it useful... turning on the front heater (with boost/auxiliary if need be) full blast does a better job of warming the rear). Too much plumbing out in the breezes...

--dick
Mine puts out a lot of heat and the passengers appreciate it.

Top Bottom