Installing TV monitor

jimmyparky

Has anyone installed tv monitor on the front sloping ceiling? For a passenger Sprinter, I'm thinking that is the perfect place to install the monitor. However, I'm not sure how you'd install the wall mount securely.

James

pgr

no, but...

I've thought about it.

I think I'm going to mount mine to the right of the shift lever (where all the switches are) when I get around to it.

pgr

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hello James welcome to the forum.
Just a few helpful tricks for ceiling mounted DVD, there are many to choose from including sound options, If you looking to look at this for your viewing purposes as well TRY a SONY unit 9 inch screen High Definition, as it will swivel left to right and down to suite your eye level.
Fitting these to a ceiling is not an easy task, as to you have to be exact as to where it's placed, removing the lining is also a hard call, relocating wireing and trace back down a wall has to be planed in advance,
If using optional amps and surround speakers , you need an auto electrician to help you do it unless your competent to undertake a DYI installation
I noted you stated slopping ceiling as to a passenger unit vehicle so I assume you meant a Hi-Top model not standard roof either way you will have to set it back to the level portion of the roof paneling, or make up a mold for it to fit the unit! if you want it to the flush mounted front section,
Think about how it's done as to a safety issue in the event of an accident they can be dangerous if not correctly mounted.
Other option much easier dash mounted or rear seat mounting for passengers, buy a top end unit dash mounted which has the video in out for two additional screens along with multiple channel surround features.
Richard,
ceiling mounted DVD.jpg

Big Audio Dynamite 1.jpg

Other options.jpg
PS THESE UNITS COME WITH A METAL TEMPLATE TO LOCK THE UNIT INTO PLACE, BEHIND THE HEAD LINING, FOR CEILING MOUNTED UNITS ONLY
Sony 5.1 channels Video CD VCD DVD.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

Zach Woods

Howdy -

Another route is to purchase a home flat screen TV and a wall mount and to use them in your Sprinter.

I took the following pictures a couple of years ago when I met up with the owner of the 140 hi-roof passenger that contains this TV:

TV (a home flat screen purchased on sale at Costco or some similar store if my memory serves) in down position (hanging roughly straight down, facing rear of vehicle and largely out of the line of sight of the front seat driver and passenger).
181005 JLescinskas Screen Down.jpg

TV in up position (roughly flat against sloped section of high roof) seen from open rear doors of van.
181005 JLesinskas Interior to Front.jpg

TV in up position - close view.
181005 JLescinskas Screen Up sm.jpg

My Westfalia (pre-removal of "big rig look" wheel covers . . .) next to the TV equiped 140
181005 2 Silver Sprinters.jpg

This was a pretty nice setup with the friction hinge of the mount serving to hold the TV in the up (or any other chosen) position without the need for a strap or other catch/ attachment.

I don't know how strong the mount would be in an accident but it did look pretty solid.

I'm hoping that John, the owner, has tracked Sprinter-Source.com down and that he can fill us in on more of the details of his TV setup.

Zach

Last edited:

jimmyparky

That is a nice setup. I wish you had taken a picture of the screen. I wonder how that metal piece is connected inside the vent unit. Thanks for sharing the pic Z.

James

Zach Woods

That is a nice setup. I wish you had taken a picture of the screen. I wonder how that metal piece is connected inside the vent unit. Thanks for sharing the pic Z.

James
Hi James -

Do you mean a picture with a video image on the screen? The first picture (titled "TV in down position") shows the screen hanging down between the two front seat headrests.

Zach

jimmyparky

Z,

I had meant to say picture for the "back" of the monitor to see how it was hooked up. The new monitor setup looks sturdy, but that side bars will be very annoying when it gets in the way of the monitor from the side.

I guess this guy has his own milling machine. Actually that reminds me of my friend who machines his own inline skate frames from solid block of aluminum. Maybe I'll ask him for a setup if I can think of a design.

Top Bottom