How Many Miles Do You Have On Your Sprinter

sikwan

06 Tin Can
My '06 140 high top only has ~8000 miles.

No major problems yet. It does have the rumble strip noise at around 20mph and the shakey side mirrors, but other than that we really like the van.

frostback

junior sprinter
125000 miles on my 03 passenger van. Surprisingly tight and clean for the mileage. Very occasional RSN and some kind of intake howl at exactly 70 mph.:idunno: I love it and hope to own it for a long time. :thumbup:

methodvan

2006 140 SHC 12k miles in 6 months.

i gotta be honest this van is put together with really crappy plastic hardware which rattles and squeaks like crazy. when new it was silent and nice... now my doors rattle, mirrors vibrate, my dash instrument cluster makes a noise similar to a cheap lid on a dime-store styrafoam cooler... blah, blah, blah. and i think my transmisson is slipping but not sure if it's turbo lag... but i'll wait for it to totally crap out because i don't feel like dropping it off at the dealer and have them look at for 2 days and not find anything wrong. Dodge dealers have no business selling these vans... they should stick to rams, magnums etc.

i wouldn't buy another one until the quality is more aligned with it's price range. my van was close to $40k as i'm sure everyone else's was as well and for that kind of dough they could have installed intermit-wipers, functional air/heat controls, dash mounted cargo light, power locks that either lock or unlock and perhaps a REAL rear bumper and maybe they could instead drop the headlight leveler and the tape deck (so who has tapes anymore?).

and please don't get on my case for bitching about this stuff. if more of us did say something about the quality maybe it would change. unfortunately DCX knows most of the people buying these vans aren't drivings 'em and they'll probably never know how poorly they are put together on the inside. i'm quality complaint are few and far between but i know my van isn't alone in this circle of poor quality.

oh well, i guess i'm stuck with it for now. i wish i would have done my homework before buying this things though. $500 oil change-- ouch!

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
We have a 2005 with 12,000 miles and it does have intermittant wipers and none of the complaints you mention (loose and rattling parts). The rear bumper seems quite a solid thing. Truly, I'm amazed!

sikwan

06 Tin Can

when new it was silent and nice... now my doors rattle, mirrors vibrate, my dash instrument cluster makes a noise similar to a cheap lid on a dime-store styrafoam cooler... blah, blah, blah. and i think my transmisson is slipping but not sure if it's turbo lag...
You must have the cargo version. I have the same one except it's a passenger model. I don't have a lot of the problems you have except for the side mirrors that vibrate. My rear doors did squeak but I fixed that by adjusting the alignment tabs. These metal tabs slide up a plastic ramp when closing the rear doors. You can adjust them tighter by adjusting them closer to the plastic jams.

they could have installed intermit-wipers, functional air/heat controls, dash mounted cargo light, power locks that either lock or unlock and perhaps a REAL rear bumper and maybe they could instead drop the headlight leveler and the tape deck (so who has tapes anymore?).
Not the headlight leveler! I love that thing. :bounce:

I have all of the things that you had stated missing. Well, except the REAL rear bumper. I have a STEP rear bumper. :smilewink:

My sliding door did have an intermittent problem of not unlocking, but that was fixed by wiping off the greasy gunk that was found on the electrical contacts.

oh well, i guess i'm stuck with it for now. i wish i would have done my homework before buying this things though. $500 oil change-- ouch!
My oil change will hover around $100.00. I tell you what. I'll give you $10,000.00 cash NOW for that piece of junk. Life is short. Don't prolong the misery. :smirk:

But seriously, I don't think I've bought any vehicle that was perfect. I hope you can square things away for the better. :thumbup:

poolmike

'05 2500 SHC

Next time you are willing to dish out $500 for an oil change, CALL ME!!! I could use the extra $450! Sounds like you need to find a new service center. I really hope that $500 got you an engine and trans oil change.

Anywho, my '05 cargo van has ~46,000 on the clock. Sure, it has a few quirks, but far fewer than the other work vehicles I've owned.

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Just like Seek, I also adjusted the metal tabs top and bottom for the rear doors and that eliminated the shimmy.

In addition I had a bad rattle that was intermittant and wouldn't go away. I finally (don't do this at home kids ;-) had my wife drive while i crawed around the back to find the source of rattling (did i mention this was on the highway) anyway, the door locking bar was the culprit in the driver side rear door. I squeezed some neoprene foam between the bar and the edge of thge rear door and the rattle has almost completely subsided.

part of the problem is that when empty the van is just one big resonance chamber amplifying all of the little sounds.

I used to drive around with 3 rows of seats and the van was much more quiet than when it's empty... and I have the pass van with the (worthless) insulation package.

Sooner or latter the whole van will be coated with this stuff:
http://www.shadetreeonline.com/insulation/heatshield.htm
also available at:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...10475/p-2010475/N-111+10201+600002669/c-10101

Cheers
George

sikwan

06 Tin Can
In addition I had a bad rattle that was intermittant and wouldn't go away. I finally (don't do this at home kids ;-) had my wife drive while i crawed around the back to find the source of rattling (did i mention this was on the highway) anyway, the door locking bar was the culprit in the driver side rear door. I squeezed some neoprene foam between the bar and the edge of thge rear door and the rattle has almost completely subsided.
:crazy: :lol:

That bar annoyed me to no end. I finally took it out, heat shrunk some 0.75" heatshrink tubing over it and reinstalled. It's so quiet back there now that I almost miss it. NOT! :bounce:

That bar is a :censored: to remove and reinstall.

I'm going to have to do the JC Whitney stuff that you recommended. I'm using the foam insulation stuff from Lowes and while it works, I want more coverage. More money, but I think it'll be better.

Seek

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
View attachment 404My 2005 Sprinter has twenty eight thousand on it no squeaks or rattlers in it it YET!
No breakdowns etc, I must have the odd one :idunno:
Pic of My 2006 rear bar bumper protection bar
Richard
rrr.jpg

Last edited:

mbcruiser

05 Sprinter/06 MB Cruiser
21,000 on 2005 (2500 158 HT)

Love it, no issues except as noted here:

@ 10,000 miles it needed rack & pinion replacement (slight fluid leak)

& full rear brake system replacement (discs, calipers, & pads - due to broken wire in emergency brake lever circuit not sensing when it was engaged, even partially, which 'fried' the brakes)
- all done under warranty without hesitation by my local Dodge dealer.

The only other dealer warranty item was replacement of the left dash vent grill - it was broken at delivery.

I change oil & filter myself, so cost <$50. Ditto previous comments about the $500 version!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I want to know how you guys are getting <$50 oil changes. :thinking:

When I ordered my 39 bottles of $5.50 0W40 Mobil1 + $7.50 shipping, it came out to $5.69 a quart. Just 9.5 quarts cost $54.06 and that's not including the filter.

Anyone care to share their secret? I promise not to tell. :shhh: :laughing:

Thanks,
Seek

ps. My Walmart had it for $5.72 a quart.

mbcruiser

05 Sprinter/06 MB Cruiser
I get gallon jugs (4 US qts) at local discount auto supply store for about $9

Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade 15W-40 CH-4/CG-4/CF-4/SJ
(MB standard 228.3 - fully synthetic)
(it's one of the many "authorized" blends listed in the owner's manual
that meets required API & MB standards)

So cost is approximately:
$23 (Oil) + $12 (Filter) = less than $50 (and about 30 minutes to do it myself)

(p.s. my local Dodge dealer replaced fuel filter for $85, and if they charged more than $60 for oil change, I'd find another dealer, if I could!)

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Ahh yes, I haven't even thought about looking at the list again in the owner's manual. I remember seeing it once. :bash:

Thanks MBCruiser,
Seek

Atlee

My 2003 Sprinter has 30,978 miles now. It had 25,884 when I bought it in June. So, I've only put 5,094 miles on it since then and almost all of them were put on from September 1 thru November 30.

So far, knocking on wood, it has run very, very well. :shhh: Don't want to say that to loud. During the 5000 miles I've driven it, I've averaged 22.61 miles to the gallon. :clapping:

michigandon

2005 118" standard roof cargo. We're the second owners. Bought it with 8500 miles on the clock. It has close to 20,000 on it now. NO complaints except the Rumble Strip Noise does rear it's ugly head on occasion.

I sure would like to know where Mr methodvan is coming up with some of his numbers and figures. First of all, we didn't pay nowheres near $40K. Got it pre-owned for $23K (the MSRP on a 118HC is around $33,000). The dealer had it listed for $24,999 and they were so quick to accept our offer that I regret not starting out offering them less! $500 for an oil change? :wtf: I have ours done @ Hillsdale Chrysler Jeep and its ~$75! And they wash it for ya! :lol: Oh yeah, and ours did come with intermittent wipers. :rolleyes: Wish it would've came with cruise, but we fixed that (bought the switch and installed it in the driveway ourselves, then took it back ot Hillsdale and had them hook their DRB up to it and turn it on. Saved ~$100 this way over having the dealer do the entire installation.).

jy1

i have a 1996 312d (2.9 turbo diesel) that has 292,000 miles on the clock and still going strong:rad:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02

i gotta be honest this van is put together with really crappy plastic hardware
I agree.

Dodge dealers have no business selling these vans...
I agree, find your local Freighliner dealer and bring it there instead.

i wouldn't buy another one until the quality is more aligned with it's price range. my van was close to $40k as i'm sure everyone else's was as well and for that kind of dough they could have installed intermit-wipers, functional air/heat controls, dash mounted cargo light, power locks that either lock or unlock and perhaps a REAL rear bumper and maybe they could instead drop the headlight leveler and the tape deck (so who has tapes anymore?).
You must have a pretty nice one for 40K. You've got to remember, this is a cargo van. Look at ANY cargo van, cheesy interior bits utilitarian style. You are paying for a truck with the ability to carry/tow...earn money! I ordered the CD player for mine and while it works fine it would not have broke the friggen bank fro them to pre-wire (at least out the rear of the head unit) for rear speakers. I did this my self, a MAJOR improvement. Still, I would have gone aftermarket from the start had I to do it over. A real rear bumper...again, any full sized van or pick up the front and rear bumpers are a joke. Strictly for looks only and will bend if you look at them the wrong way. Decent bumpers are not required by the government for trucks so we are not getting them! The lock control button is crazy, I did get it programmed NOT to lock the doors upon start up(drove me nuts) but I DO like the door open indicators although they are about useless in the daytime). With the solid partition, I've driven off with the rear open more than once. I love the light leveler. I have "intermittent" wipers as I'm sure you do and I agree "preset intermittent" is about useless. Find me a good set of wiper blades that don't chatter across the picture window of a windshield and I'd be happy!

...and please don't get on my case for bitching about this stuff.
Not us:smilewink: !

if more of us did say something about the quality maybe it would change.
Not that I'll be getting one, but I'm hoping the new model will address some of these issues.

oh well, i guess i'm stuck with it for now.
"Stuck" with the best full sized van currently available in the US:smilewink:

$500 oil change-- ouch!
:idunno: You did get porked there...I'm sure they did the fuel filter as well though. I was charged $200 and thought that was bad (and have done all since myself). I can't do it in 30 minutes though, I let it drain for that long :smirk:

View attachment 404...
Pic of My 2006 rear bar bumper protection bar
Richard
View attachment 405
Love the bar, is the hitch part of it? If it'd work with the factory receiver I'd be in for a group buy! The rear of your van is different that ours or any I've seen for that matter. That's a Sprinter?

Oh yes BOT, 63K or so!

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Scott
One of the photo's have done a runner on me.
The Sprinter you are talking about is a 2006 Mercedes Sprinter However it is the 2007 model you will get eventually.
The over rider bar (Neuf) is an option for these models to protect the very expensive back bits that idiots:wtf: use a stopping bumper when parking or trying to get out of parking they work very well.
The draw bar is separate or as you call hitch , this is an adjustable unit that allows the Towing bar with the ball to be extended out further, If you like I'll take some photo's to show how it works, also rear spare wheel can be raised and lowered with out issues. I'm thinking your Hitch may be a little different in design?
Extra shot to show the full view of the rear 2006 Sprinter
PS Good call on your last comment.
Richard
DSC00014 (Large).jpg

Attachments

Top Bottom