Air Suspension!

BigBlueBus

I know limo companies are installing air suspension in these van as part of their upfitter packages. I don't need to utilize the payload capabilities of the van, since I only use it for our family trips. Anyone know of a reputable company or a good air suspension swap kit for these vans? I want to replace the leaf and coil suspension altogether with air bags, not supplement it.

I would appreciate any input.

John

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Take a look at what VB Air offer, complete air axles for Sprinters.

Although it's air over springs and perhaps not what you're looking for, be aware of the current thread about Firestone airbags and possible issue with under-engineered mounting bracketry.

BigBlueBus

I'm aware of the problems with the Firestone systems, thank you.

I will also call the limo companies to see what they use.

Thanks
John

ehallspqr

The VB system is well designed but way expensive for most people. The supplemental airbags such as the Firestone system are just fine for most applications. Millions of passenger and commercial trucks around the world use similar systems. I think that if the mounts where redesigned that the system would be just fine on the new Sprinters. For their own reputation Firestone should look into this issue ASAP.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Timbren is in Ontario, Canada - I know, not head-quartered in the US - but they have a decent enough repuation.

Attached is the NCV3 info for the rear suspension product.

A forum member, Suba, used Timbren products. I have a lot of respect for Suba and his understanding of mechanical engineering.

-Jon

Attachments

BigBlueBus

The system in the attached drawing looks like a leaf spring helper setup. I want to replace the leaf springs altogether and have strictly air suspension in rear or all 4 corners, like the VB 4-Corner setup.

John

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Sorry, I should have re-read your first post.

The only one I remember is Glide-Rite North America; not exactly American, but they're probably worth contacting.

http://www.glide-ritenorthamerica.com/index.htm

PS: I wouldn't rely on website content to tell the full story. I would call the company and speak to someone about the products, applications and availabilty.

Last edited:

BigBlueBus

Thanks Jon,
The Glide Rite is the best system and the one that makes the most sense so far, but it's pricey. For a 4-bag setup in the rear only it's about $6k. There has to be a way to make these more affordable.

prince5067

Can you recommend someone to install these glide ride suspension to me. I'm from Texas (Houston)..but I'll drive anywhere to get it done well without any alignment problem..

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
GlideRite is testing the air system for a NCV, But it's not approved or certificated for "ABS" on a 2500 NAFTA Van Nor is it a nickle and dime setup. as to the investments and testings of the systems , as to certification to an ISO standard and acceptance of Mercedes Germany.
Currently only the 4 series 4x4 air system is available for a Mercedes Sprinter,This has been developed with ETT Australia, via the Bryan group of companies. in conjunction with Glide-Rite UK and Mercedes-Benz Australia Link to story
VW Crafter has been again developed for Australian emergency services for air suspension in the 3.5T and 5 T 2x4 Vans Fully certified.
U.S Glide-Rite is not available or certified to up-lift the fitment,It has no Mercedes LLC USA warranty combined as a certified installation for NAFTA models.
Richard

Last edited:

elee325

Denver, CO
Timbren is in Ontario, Canada - I know, not head-quartered in the US - but they have a decent enough repuation.

Attached is the NCV3 info for the rear suspension product.

A forum member, Suba, used Timbren products. I have a lot of respect for Suba and his understanding of mechanical engineering.

-Jon
Jon,

Can you elaborate on this setup? I am researching currently as to how to improve my 2010 RT SS Ideal's handling/suspension quality. Tks,

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I can't really elaborate further than what's available on Sprinter-Source or manufacturer's websites.

I don't have or need an air suspension.

Please contact Timbren and let us know what they say.

Timbren Industries, Inc
1-800-263-3113
www.timbren.com
sales@timbren.com

-Jon

Top Bottom