Sprinter 4WD Conversion...

AVL_Sprinter

Whitewater Freak
It has been some time ago, but there was a thread on here about a company that was thinking about setting up shop in South Carolina for T1N 4WD conversions. There was also some contact info in that thread and I contacted them... anyway

I got a call the other day from a fellow with a thick German accent telling me about a 4WD conversion company in Oregon for the Sprinter. He also mentioned that the SC idea didn't make the cut so they went to OR.

After that I could not understand a word he said....:idunno: that sucked :bash: because this is something that I am interested in.

I need help finding this thread and also wanted to ask if anyone else has been contacted by them that contacted them through that thread.

Any help is much appreciated!
:D:

VanSyncro

When you find them let us know, I'm sure there are more interested parties, and this thread keeps getting bumped.

Ian

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Try these links and there are more..Go find them with search It would be better to stay within the current links rather than bumping up new threads time and time again.
PS: it would be a better solution to look at the preferred option of AWD
We have one US. member "Tom!" Who may be interested in placing an update for forwarding information that pertains to a US.modified version. as he is in the know.
Richard
4x4 Sprinters
4x4 for 2008?
What would have to be done to make this work on our American Sprinters?
Any 4x4 Panel Vans in the US?
Sportsmobile 4x4 option for Sprinters
Sprinter 4x4
Ncv3 Awd Bolt On 4x4 Conversion Available Late 2008
4x4 sprinters
Sprinters 4wd?
Iglhaut Sprinter 4x4

Kitemaui

It has been some time ago, but there was a thread on here about a company that was thinking about setting up shop in South Carolina for T1N 4WD conversions. There was also some contact info in that thread and I contacted them... anyway

I got a call the other day from a fellow with a thick German accent telling me about a 4WD conversion company in Oregon for the Sprinter. He also mentioned that the SC idea didn't make the cut so they went to OR.

After that I could not understand a word he said....:idunno: that sucked :bash: because this is something that I am interested in.

I need help finding this thread and also wanted to ask if anyone else has been contacted by them that contacted them through that thread.

Any help is much appreciated!
:D:

This is info from Salem Kroger about 4x4 conversion:

Thank you for your request for information. Salem Kroger has been quietly converting over 3,000 new and used, vans, ambulances and motorhomes to 4x4 while improving ride quality, handling and safety for over 20 years. For many years the Ford E350 was the biggest part of our work load, but the Sprinter has about the same number of requests for information every week. We are converting the 2004 to 2007 Sprinter with 5 cylinder diesel and the 2008 / 9 with V6 diesel engine, 2500 and 3500 models, single and dual rear wheels, 3.73, 3.92, 4.10 and 4.18 gear ratio rear axles. The conversion we build is an American style 4x4, just like a Ford F250 or F350, it is not a light duty all-wheel-drive like a mini-van. The Dana 60 mono-beam front axle has manual hub locks, a set of 7,000 lb. disc brakes ( requires 17 inch wheels to fit over the rotors ), comfortable riding coil front suspension, Bilstein front shock absorbers, Dana drivelines, manual shift transfercase, Rancho adjustable rear shock absorbers, 3.5 inch lift, oversized front and rear sway bars, poly sway bar mounts, factory ABS, stability control, traction control, air bags and sensors and a set of 5, size LT245/70R17E BFG Rugged Trail Tires. The price starts at $17,500 and up depending on options and exact specs. plus applicable sales tax. The Sprinter handles very nice, precise road manners and comfortable ride, that's what a customer expects now.
sprinter1.jpg

IM003370.jpg

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Looks like a rock crawler.
That should satisfy the older tin owners who would want to go a tad of the black top.
Question: New NCV aftermarket conversion.Existing NCV warranty negated! null and voided..YES or No!... EPA.DOT approval for registered road use, all 50 states:idunno:
Richard

motobueno

OK,OK,Richard!
The kit for my van is on its way from Austria!Destination:Upscale in Oregon

We should have the work done by the end of the 2nd week of Nov.
If all goes well,I will be driving the first of what we hope will be many T1N(To start with) 4x4 conversions.I may know more about the NCV3 by then.:idunno:BUT NO breath holding!
This kit will be selectable 4 wheel drive 4.11 with low range,locking center and rear diff.I have a new set of Toyo M/T's to mount and it should look and work good.Death Valley in December:thumbup:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
OK,OK,Richard!
The kit for my van is on its way from Austria!Destination:Upscale in Oregon

We should have the work done by the end of the 2nd week of Nov.
If all goes well,I will be driving the first of what we hope will be many T1N(To start with) 4x4 conversions.I may know more about the NCV3 by then.:idunno:BUT NO breath holding!
This kit will be selectable 4 wheel drive 4.11 with low range,locking center and rear diff.I have a new set of Toyo M/T's to mount and it should look and work good.Death Valley in December:thumbup:
Wazza:rad:
Richard:popcorn:

motobueno

OKIn 25'000 words or less-here is what is going on!
Upscale Automotive/The Sprinter Store in Tualatin Oregon is the first location for the Sportsvan 4x4 conversion useing the Oberaigner/Austrian components.http://www.oberaigner.com/en/produkte/sprinter/allradantrieb/
John Bendit and myself have been working on this for quite some time.Speaking of time-It takes a lot more of it to put this together!So youall must be patient.
The first conversion will be started on my '06 T1N 140"SHC.(see above for the kit discreption) on 11/10/08:drool:
You can be assured that I will post pictures of the process!And after we are done we will get some videos up on our test runs:thumbup:.
Here is a picture of what it should look like.http://www.oberaigner.com/fileadmin/images/1._Sprinter_in_Brasilien/CIMG7847.JPG
The T1N conversion for this country does not have the 4ETS wheel control as in the domestic model.
With the locking center and rear diff it should not be a problem.
I have chosen to go with the 3.72 axle ratio because that is what most vans here came with.A 4.11 is also
available and if not standard would be an additonal charge to fit a new 4.11 rear end.
Having the 3.72 ratio should not be a problem,as i will also have a low range!:drool:
This being the first one I do expect to have some bugs to work out, but the folks at Oberainger have worked hard to get the components right.Frank from Sportsvans S.A. has been doing this conversion in S.A. for some time and really knows these vans.Upscale/John Bendit,in my opinion is the most qualifyed shop in this countrt to take this on and I am excited to be working with John!
NOW about the NVC3-That will be our next project.There is no definate time frame on it yet.The NVC3 has much differnt electronics and is going to take some sorting out to make it work properly on the U.S.spec van.We will be working on it as soon as the T1N is up and running.
I'm sure that the big question is-WHAT WILL IT COST!
I wish I could tell that,but with the $ vs EURO and not having done it yet it's hard to nail it down at this point.We hope to make it as affordable as possible,but it's not going to be as cheap as others out there right now.SORRY
I think that the big plus is that these are the SAME components as BENZ fits to the EURO vans.
I'll post more after we start the work in about a week.
Tom:bounce:

scubanw3

To add a little more to Tom’s post; I have not mentioned anything about this project because as many of you know, I don’t talk much about our products and services until I know for sure we can deliver. Indeed, Sportsvans will be at our shop from 11/9 to 11/17. We will be installing the Mercedes factory 4x4 conversion onto Tom’s Sprinter. This is a project that has been on my to do list for many years. My philosophy has always been to design and sell products that are as close to factory as possible so the factory 4x4 conversion by Oberaigner is my first choice. Salem Kroger does very good work and I am well aware of their Sprinter conversion but the Oberaigner product is way different. We have a favor to ask. I have been out of the shop for over a week and will not be back until next Wednesday. With vacation catch-up and final preparation for this project, and with the amount of work needs to be completed between the 9th and the 17th, we would ask that phone calls and e-mails be held off until after the project is complete and on the road. As Tom mentioned, once we have solid info you can bet everyone will know!!

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

Top Bottom