Hood Insulation Replacement

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
A while back I had one of the oil ring accidents with the oil cap https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721&highlight=oil+cap+ring), and the fan sprayed the oil everywhere inside the engine compartment. I washed down the engine, but the felt insulation was soaked. For a over a year I have been ignoring it. But, even though the oil smell has dissipated, the felt is still oily and collecting dirt. So I decided to replace it.

Part 05104486AA from Berry and 15 "rivets."

The first job was taking it off. The plastic rivets don't come off easily; the process is to pull the center expansion plug out - indeed I only got one off without destroying it. Fortunately, I bought enough - it takes 12. Eventually, I drilled the centers of the rivets out. Then it takes only seconds to pull the insulation off.

P9200061.JPG

This is what a slightly beat up rivet looks like:

P9200062.JPG

Picture of the old insulation with the oil stains.

P9200063.JPG

The hood is very tinny-sounding. [Note that this sound is from the fresh air vent's metalwork built into the hood. I already have 3M ScotchGuard on the exterior of the hood which does a good job in reducing its sound.] I didn't have any Duramax-type stuff handy and couldn't find my roll of window sealer, but I had a partial bucket of cove base glue, which I figure should provide enough mass to stop the higher pitch metal vibrations - and once dry not be too heavy itself.

P9200065.JPG

Putting in the new insulation went fast with an extra pair of hands. Remember to not push the plug until the base of the rivet is in the hole in the hood. About half of the rivets will require some gentle persuasion.

Last edited:

KL2BE

For a over a year I have been ignoring it. But, even though the oil smell has dissipated, the felt is still oily and collecting dirt. So I decided to replace it.

Part 05104486AA from Berry and 15 "rivets."
I'd like to do the same; mine's been partially chewed-up by pack-rats that tied into it in a long-term parking lot AZ while we toured the Andes :bash:.
How much :thinking: ?
Maybe I should know, but who is Berry? :idunno:
Thanks for the write-up :cheers:.

PS: Never mind; found Barry, found part, found price. Good site!

Last edited:

backlog

Heck of a deal @ $26. I'll be pulling mine out this winter when I start my soundproofing. The underside of the hood looks a likely target.

Peter
Can someone please send me a current link to buy hood insulation and rivets for a 2010 Dodge Sprinter? Thanks

mountainhick

My van has been parked for a few weeks, opened the hood to find the insulation SHREDDED. I think it's squirrels, nut just mice based on the amount of material chewed up.

I've read a lot here on the forum about dealing with rodents, but no method seems particularly effective. The best solution to me would seem to be some alternative insulation material. It doesn;t make sense to put the same kind of stuff back and have this happen again.

Has anyone looked into alternative materials?

Thanks

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
My van has been parked for a few weeks, opened the hood to find the insulation SHREDDED. I think it's squirrels, nut just mice based on the amount of material chewed up.

I've read a lot here on the forum about dealing with rodents, but no method seems particularly effective. The best solution to me would seem to be some alternative insulation material. It doesn;t make sense to put the same kind of stuff back and have this happen again.

Has anyone looked into alternative materials?

Thanks
A sheet of rigid fiberglass would work. Use 3M 90 to adhere in addition to some rivets (plastic ones work well). I am not sure what mice think of fiberglass though.

A thinner sheet of rockwool could also be used. I am pretty sure rodents don't like the stuff.

A big box of poison works.

mountainhick

A sheet of rigid fiberglass would work. Use 3M 90 to adhere in addition to some rivets (plastic ones work well). I am not sure what mice think of fiberglass though.

A thinner sheet of rockwool could also be used. I am pretty sure rodents don't like the stuff.

A big box of poison works.

Unfamiliar with the kind of fiberglass you're referring to. I'll do a search, but do you have aproduct in mind?

Re: poison, no go on a few levels, biggest is we don't want our dogs eating poisoned critters.

Top Bottom