4sale Sprinter 413 cdi 2005 sprintshift

Kuba8

Hi Guys,

Its time to say goodbye to my sprinter. My business demands a bigger vehicle so my breadwinner is on the market.

Its a 413 cdi 2005 LWB high roof sprinter with 330000km on the clock. The van has MB service history to 170000km and in house service was done by Broadway services Epping till 300000km. I have been doing the services since then.

The van runs well. It has never let me down. The sprintshift pump has been changed at 300000km at a cost of $3000 by MB. Euro star diesel changed the clutch and flywheel at 315000km with a LUK kit imported from England.

The body is a little rough being a work vehicle. It has a ding between the left hand side sliding door and the rear wheels that was crudely fixed by the previous owner. I have been quoted $800 to fix it but I really don't see the need.

Engine is tight and in good condition. Does not use much of oil.

Electric Mirrors, power windows, AC, and central locking.

Two brand new Toyo tires in the front and 4 Bridgestones in the rear with about 40 percent wear.

Brand new PIONEER CD/MP3 BLUETOOTH HEAD UNIT. 2 alpine 4 inch speaker in the front and 2 Sony explode 6 by 9 speakers connected to a 300w amp mounted on the cargo barrier. Total cost $700

The van has had its rear wheel arches cut out and a raised floor of 6 inches installed to allow 3 1/2 pallets to be loaded. This was done professionally by Unique truck bodies.

The front suspension is being replaced this week.

I have also converted the van from 2 to a 3 seater using original MB parts.

The sliding door has been changed from non window to tinted window for ease in backing out.

At present there are 3 mechanical faults that need addressing. One is leaking injectors (Black Death). It is not major but needs to be addressed. Seeing as the van has done 300000km I have purchased new injectors (MB cost$4000) even though only the copper seals need to be replaced. These will be included in the sale.

The other problem was picked up by Eurostar diesel on pre purchase inspection which was a leaking turbo seal. They have told me it is not a big issue.

The last problem is to do with the ASR. Occasionally when the van is under rapid acceleration the ASR light will come on the engine will cut out. I have been told that this might be normal but I have a feeling that it may have to do with the wheel speed sensors (maybe dirty).

Other than that the van is A+ and ready for work. Still has 6 months Victorian Rego on it.

Im asking $17000.00.

Included in the sale will be the new injectors, 4 new glow plugs, 12 Quarts of Mobile one 0-40w 1 set of Kinchrome torx male bits and 1 set of Kinchrome female torx bits. I will also throw in MB sprintshift transmission fluid, a 14mm hex bit and a 17 mm hex bit for doing a transmission oil change.

Thanks to everyone on sprinter forums who have helped me learn about these great vehicles. Special thanks to Eric experience and Altered sprinter for sharing there vast knowledge on sprinters. Owning a sprinter has been a breeze with you guys around.

Pics to follow. Please PM if you are interested.

:cheers:

Jakub

Last edited:

Kuba8

Im going to get an Isuzu NQR 450 with a 5.8m pantech and full tailgate. I really love the sprinter but its just impossible to get a side by side fridge to stand upright. I have been using the van for white goods deliveries and its just not tall enough. I was really considering getting a NCV3 super high roof but the design is nothing short of stupid.

Mercedes have kept the rear door height the same on both the high roof and super high roof which is pointless for high cargo.

I played with the idea of jumping ship to Iveco. They have some monster vans with a super high roof and entry height to match. In all honesty that van would be good for the next year but even though I can fit a big payload its difficult to work out of. Hence why Im going to get a pantech.

I also looked at Mercedes and ivecos cab chassis offerings in the aim of fitting a box. From what I heard the sprinters are not designed to have a box because the rails are not really suited and the suspension is not up to the task. A few people who have driven them say sprinters with a box roll too much and fuel economy is badly effected.

The iveco dealer claimed that their cab chassis is based on a truck so its more suited for box. I think they quoted me $56000 for a the cab and box which I thought was quite reasonable. I kind of think that a 3.0 lt engine that the iveco has is a still a little under powered for the task.

There was another interesting offering from Renault. Its a super low floor cab chassis. I saw something similar on a from Mercedes online at a car show but can't find the link. I think is geared to RV conversions but would be ideal for my line of work. I asked mercedes about it and they had no idea it even existed.

[youtube]D_CvDQlNEgk[/youtube]

The van above would be perfect. Don't have to waste time with a tailgate and whitegoods are more bulk than weight so I think the suspension will hold. If anyone knows how to get something like this in Aus please let me know.

Im still undecided on the NQR 450 but at the moment it seems like the best choice. Anyone have any other ideas?

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Im going to get an Isuzu NQR 450 with a 5.8m pantech and full tailgate. I really love the sprinter but its just impossible to get a side by side fridge to stand upright. I have been using the van for white goods deliveries and its just not tall enough. I was really considering getting a NCV3 super high roof but the design is nothing short of stupid.

Mercedes have kept the rear door height the same on both the high roof and super high roof which is pointless for high cargo.

I played with the idea of jumping ship to Iveco. They have some monster vans with a super high roof and entry height to match. In all honesty that van would be good for the next year but even though I can fit a big payload its difficult to work out of. Hence why Im going to get a pantech.

I also looked at Mercedes and ivecos cab chassis offerings in the aim of fitting a box. From what I heard the sprinters are not designed to have a box because the rails are not really suited and the suspension is not up to the task. A few people who have driven them say sprinters with a box roll too much and fuel economy is badly effected.

The iveco dealer claimed that their cab chassis is based on a truck so its more suited for box. I think they quoted me $56000 for a the cab and box which I thought was quite reasonable. I kind of think that a 3.0 lt engine that the iveco has is a still a little under powered for the task.

There was another interesting offering from Renault. Its a super low floor cab chassis. I saw something similar on a from Mercedes online at a car show but can't find the link. I think is geared to RV conversions but would be ideal for my line of work. I asked mercedes about it and they had no idea it even existed.

[youtube]D_CvDQlNEgk[/youtube]

The van above would be perfect. Don't have to waste time with a tailgate and whitegoods are more bulk than weight so I think the suspension will hold. If anyone knows how to get something like this in Aus please let me know.

Im still undecided on the NQR 450 but at the moment it seems like the best choice. Anyone have any other ideas?

Interesting: Mercedes either do not have a clue or the sales reps are simply put a waste of space, and a bunch of oxygen thieves.
VW are no better or The Fiat reps.
Isuzu yes a good choice proven and reliable but go look at Mitsubishi please and a k about the rear super SuSi super wide wheels.
Fiat the 3 series front wheel drive blow clutches and transmissions fail
Fiat Daily 7 metric Tonne no problems rear wheel drive but you have to order them in as not that many are sold. the only problem dual wheel units no pallet can slide in from the rear if you order the van variant they are huge.

Ford's out of the equation.
Mercedes I give up with them , it's not my job to teach them about Commercial units and they just don't understand a customs request very difficult to deal with and over priced. Check out Nisson cab over chassis models the yanks are talking about them and we have had them for decades LOL:lol:
Bottom line is the dollar and your margins of profits it's a hard call
There is the Mercedes Vario 7 metric Tonne available in Brisbane. but an old body design. but mechanically up to date not a cheap option but bullet proff van or cab over chassis . these are in the Mercedes commercial division the guys are up to scratch , your not dealing with a sedan rep. Very expensive.
image_12277bb64d7d78f1d10e0a3ef62b5a7f (Custom).jpg

1996-2008_Mercedes-Benz_Vario_(W670)_818_D_(Linfox_Armaguard)_01 (Custom) copy (Custom).jpg

DSC01558 (Custom).JPG
There is the option of the Mercedes Sprinter NCV 4 series with the SuSi super wide rear single wheel I saw two 416 cdi units in Brisbane/ Hi-tops very nice units
Richard

Kuba8

Thanks guys, had some time to think over the options suggested. Pretty much Benz, iveco, ford are out of the equation.

I need a box 5 to 6 meters long and 2.4 wide so its between Fuso and Isuzu. I went to Isuzu to see what new would cost me and its around 90 grand with the tailgate and box. I not going to spend that much money. So im looking at second hand units.

There are only a few units with the things I need on trucksales and truckworld. The two best options are a 2005 Fuso canter 4.0.

http://www.trucksales.com.au/buy/details.aspx?R=11694115&__Qpb=1&Cr=5&__Ns=p_StockRankSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cp_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cp_Model_String%7c0%7c%7cp_Year_Int32%7c1%7c%7cp_StockPrice_Decimal%7c1&__N=1550%201552%201715%201600%201601%201602%204294958828%204294929644&silo=1701&__No=90&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=127&__sid=133FC322ECFF

and a 2008 isuzu NQR 450

http://www.truckworld.com.au/buy/used/truck/isuzu/nqr-450/pantech/5---6---7-tonne/New-South-Wales/39386.aspx

The canter has a 3.9 lt engine with 150 hp and the Isuzu a 5.2 with 185hp. I was also looking at some Isuzu FRR pre 2007 which are 6 cylinder units but I think the truck is too big for multidrops.

I did some research into the emission systems management and post 2008 Isuzu have a EGR and DPF which burns all the soot in a filter making sure the particles are small enough to be inhaled and go directly into your blood stream via your delicate lung sacks. I guess its better for the planet though.

Alot of people are saying this system is not very good because of the back pressure on the engine and the amount of fuel it takes to do the regen burns. If you fail to do a burn then the check engine light will come on and you have no choice but to take it to a dealer for them to clear the fault and do a burn in house. Sound like a great little money earner.

However many people run into issues with DPF when they use their light diesels as a daily run about. There is not enough time for the exhaust to reach the temperature needed to complete a regen so maybe DPF is an ok option for a work truck on the road all day with a full load.

The Fuso canters used cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC). DOC uses a chemical process to break down pollutants in the exhaust stream into less harmful components. More specifically, it is a physical device with a porous ceramic honeycomb-like structure that is coated with a material that catalyzes a chemical reaction to reduce pollution.

Its a more fuel efficient method but I think it would still create back pressure and has a risk of becoming clogged.

Interestingly all the new canters will be fitted with a DPF. I don't think the DOC method is enough to meet Euro 5.

There is another system that I think sprinters use, urea SCR or "urea-based selective catalytic reduction," Sound like it costs a bit to maintain.

Pretty much all these systems are bummers that negatively impact on fuel economy and performance.

Out of the two trucks above the Fuso has an EGR and nothing else since its older but im a little concerned about the build quality. Isuzu seem to be better built. Im using an older canter at the moment and the thing is falling apart. There is not much left of the dash and the right window is held up with duct tape. Also im not to sure about the 3.9 lt engine for such a big box. I need to work fast and it may not have enough grunt. The new Fusos have a 4.8 lt engine which would be great but im not willing to shell out for new.

The other thing is Fuso has released new body styling for the 2012 range. Perception is everything and it seems silly to spend quite a bit of money on a truck that will soon look dated. (im looking to keep it for at least 4 years).

Im leaning more towards the Isuzu. The built quality is good and my previous experience with the trucks has been good. I don't think the truck styling will change for the next 4 years so it should hold its value well and be presentable. I used to own an NPR 250 which I bought from pickles (never doing that again) with worn rings. The thing still flew even though it smoked out the breather and started every time. I am concerned about the DPF though. It seems really new and im not sure how bad it is for the engine. I know the fuel economy will blow but hopefully the performance will help me get my work done quicker. :idunno:

Kuba8

I had some more time to think this out. A truck is not the answer.

Ive been doing my run in a older 4.0 canter. Yes its great to have the space to work but the fuel bill is a killer. On average im spending 350 a week on fuel and with my sprinter i was only spending 100.

Trucks are slugs. Its taking forever to do my work. Plus im not comfortable with borrowing over 30 grand.

I need a box but not that big in reality. There is a dealer in NSW selling a 2002 616 sprinter (189000 km) with a box for 29000.00. From what I read it seems like these sprinters where designed to have a box. I kind of feel that he is asking too much though. Its been on the market for ages, nearly a year.

Does anyone know what kind of economy a 616 with a box has per tank?

Are they as nimble as the vans (more than a truck)? Do they have more zip or are they slugs like light trucks.

What do you think the true value of the van is?

Any known issues?

Damn its so hard to throw away the economy of a sprinter.

Merry Xmas everyone and wishing you the best for 2012 (even though the world will end in the next few months):rad: !!!!:cheers:

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
That truck has been around for a while the six series Sprinter will carry 1/3 more of a load than a 4 series sprinter, it has extra braking capacity and a 2200 lb front axle, along with other specs, it depends how it was delivered into Australia.
It is over priced but they are very rare. .
Fuel economy will vary 12 to 20 MPG depending on loads???
The down side is the transmission of which has quickshift,simply put to expensive to maintain when they fail. having some one to repair plus re teach to programming that box has proven be a nightmare for some. It may end up being an expensive purchase , but as the world will end in a few months hell does it really matter.:lol:
I can not justify a secondhand unknown 2002 model as a business unit, it's not worth the risk.
Richard

knighty

I know it's not the right thing to say on a sprinter forum....

but I have a 2001 Iveco Daily 65C15 box van

had it about 6 years now... has done 200k miles and has never broken down on me... not even once...
(tho it is well maintained)

it has the 2.8litre 150hp engine... and it pulls very well... unloaded it weighs 3.5ton and it'll pull away faster than a lot of other smaller empty vans...

fully loaded at 6.5ton it's not so quick (but I'm not really pushing it with a load on it) but it's still more than enough to keep up with traffic

not sure about fuel economy... it's converted to run on veg oil so I don't really think about it... but when I bought it it was using about £120 a week when the transit I used previously for the same trips used £160+ a week

the heavier vans will be more stable (corners etc..), but they're also a lot heavier so if you don't need to carry heavy loads you might as well get a lighter (more economical/quicker van)

for a box van, I think it's important to look at the back axle width... there's a point where the heavier vans move up a level and have wider back axles... whcih I think makes a massive difference

I drove a 35C12 Iveco box van (about the size of mine but lower power at 120hp and 3.5ton fully loaded).... it was like driving a boat compared to my van, rocked all over the place and I had to take it very easy around the corners

I take it pretty easy in the vans... especially the big ones.... but there's a couple of times I've had to swerve/jam on the breaks in my 65C15 and it's stability/road holding has always impressed me

the transit box vans I've driven (all 3.5ton vans) have been a lot like the sprinter vans of the same size - there's not much difference between the handling at all

EDIT:/p.s.

I don't know what the laws are like in Australia, but in the UK anything over 3.5ton counts as a heavy goods vehicle and needs a lot more paperwork / an operators licence / regular checks at registered garages.... which all ads up to quite a few ££££

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Other Sprinter drivers who happened to come for a ride in my old four tonnes 416 T1N would frequently remark on how stable it was compared to the common Euro three tonnes variant.

Box van won't exceed 20mpg Imperial even with aero kit, and may be low teens as Richard says. The 616 may have a different final drive than typical too, check that out as it could be geared for 55mph. I think I'm correct in saying they had air parking brake too.

Whilst the transmission isn't complicated it will require dealer standard software support for initialization and set up of some components - could be a real issue unless you know where to go. I loved driving with Sprintshift, would have had it again if it had been available. Takes a little while to get used to it but then no problem.

An inline five with Sprintshift (as your possible 616) is arguably the best possible engine / transmission T1N combination.

Top Bottom