PDA

View Full Version : Swivel Wheel Trailer

rogotoo
02-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Has anyone seen or even better own or used one of these?

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel58.html

It is a single wheel trailer that hooks directly into the receiver hitch and acts like an extension of the vehicle instead of a trailer.

I have a Dodge Sprinter that I have converted to an RV and presently pull a trailer to haul my HD Heritage. Bottom line I HATE pulling a trailer. I've actually been considering redoing the interior to load the bike in the back but I know that isn't practical, I lose to much storage and living space while traveling.

I thought about adding a rear porch type set up but don't like the idea of placing that much weight on the back and messing with my handling. Then a friend sent me this link and it looks like a great solution, the best of both worlds. Also it looks like a great way to add some living space to my RV. Just get a rear awning and instant 5 x 8 rear deck.

I figured if anybody out there had seen or used one of these folks it would be you guys.

Roger the Dodger

Altered Sprinter
02-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Yep in the land down under
:smilewink:
Richard

Zach Woods
02-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Has anyone seen or even better own or used one of these?

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel58.html

It is a single wheel trailer that hooks directly into the receiver hitch and acts like an extension of the vehicle instead of a trailer.

Hi Roger -

I knew someone who use to tow a small storage trailer of this type behind his VW Syncro Westfalia. He loved it and would talk it up endlessly.

It looked a bit like a car top carrier on top of a single pivoting wheel.

He hauled it all over the place (even on a trip from Long Island, NY to Alaska) and said the only worry was that you would forget that it was there and back the vehicle up as if it didn't have the extra length thereby backing the little trailer into things. In the case of his trailer it was narrower than the rear of the VW Vanagon and I think it was not visible in his side rear view mirrors. Not a problem given that it doesn't get out of alignment with the tow vehicle unless you forgot about it and backed as close to something as you would when you are not towing the thing.

I may be able to put you in touch with the guy I knew who used to tow this type of trailer, if you would like to talk with him.

Zach