PDA

View Full Version : A good seating option for Cargo Vans

mountainman
03-30-2007, 02:48 PM
I've mounted up a 3 person bench seat out of a late model Ford E350.
No pics yet, but the install is clean and relatively painless.

The Ford seat quick releases on brackets, which mount on top of the floor. i.e. They bolt right on top of the existing flat floor, no need to put in channels, etc.

I got my seat from Todd Brooks at Adventure Vans, out of Charlotte, NC. Cost about $175 plus shipping. I'll post some pics up when I get a chance.

J Will
05-11-2007, 06:47 AM
I'm interested how that went. I just put in my order for a cargo van and would like to be able to occasionally throw in a row of seats (or even just a jump seat behind the driver). Would love to see some pics if you have a second.

Altered Sprinter
05-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Just remember guys, put extra seats in a cargo van , you need to have it certified for real folk to sit in it, if it's being used on a public road.
Richard

mountainman
05-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Just remember guys, put extra seats in a cargo van , you need to have it certified for real folk to sit in it, if it's being used on a public road.
Richard

Not in the US you don't...
:bounce:

and sorry guys, been too busy to take pics of it yet.
Will do it soon.

mbcruiser
05-26-2007, 01:03 AM
For mountainman:

Did you buy the quick-release brackets that you mounted on the floor (and if so, where did you get them), or did you have to have them fabricated custom?

What thickness and size plate steel under the floor was required to mount the brackets?

tegimr
05-26-2007, 01:50 AM
:bounce:

and sorry guys, been too busy to take pics of it yet.
Will do it soon.

just an FYI, been looking into seating for my own, and you probably should check with your insurance as they might not cover what you'd expect them to in the event of an accident.

Tim

kendall69
05-26-2007, 04:18 AM
I think Richard means certified as in have someone who know what they are doing install the seats. I don't think you want to jeopardize any ones safety by just "bolting" seats in the rear.
You need to know the tensile strength of the bolts the sheer strength of the metal etc. etc. etc.

Just bolting some seats is a bad idea, and I would hate to be the driver that killed my kids because I just bolted some seats in and they tore out of the floor in a 35mph accident.

Just a thought. Sure may NOT be against the "law" - buy there is the "law" of safety and common sense.

tegimr
05-26-2007, 05:23 AM
. . . I would hate to be the driver that killed my kids because I just bolted some seats in and they tore out of the floor in a 35mph accident. . . there is the "law" of safety and common sense.

Ah, you are so good with communicating! :rad:

There are regulations about HOW the seats are to be installed and the seat belts are to be installed (this is mostly enforced by states, but the majority of states that I've looked into just 'adopt' federal regulations.) These regulations include bolt size, type, allowable/required washer type(s), allowable/required nuts, and bolt placement/flooring support & reinforcement. There are regulations relating to their locations in relation to the back bumper (and type of back bumper) and the back axle as well.

Tim

mountainman
05-30-2007, 04:48 PM
For mountainman:

Did you buy the quick-release brackets that you mounted on the floor (and if so, where did you get them), or did you have to have them fabricated custom?

What thickness and size plate steel under the floor was required to mount the brackets?

The brackets came with the seat. They are the Ford factory brackets, roughly 2 " x 4", and almost 3/8" thick. I used metric grade 10.9 fasteners, M12, with 1/8" thick mild steel backing plates under the floor.

FWIW the Ford seatbelts (all lapbelts) are anchored to the mounting supports for the seats, no additional brackets required. The mounting hardware I used is equivalent or better than the Ford factory mounting bolts.

This is my motorcycle and race car hauler, the only time the rear seat is getting used is for a nap by a co-driver or it sitting outside while camping. :cheers:

mbcruiser
05-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks MM.

I have a friend who has a Ford van and Ford dealers claim they know nothing....so this is very helpful in a non-Sprinter quest.

mb cruiser

JustAdventureGear
06-02-2007, 04:37 AM
FWIW
I am buing a cargo van in about a week and want to put in a 3rd seat for when I use the van as a family roadtrip van. So when and if anyone comes up with a safe solution please keep me in the loop.
Thanks - Jim

sikwan
06-02-2007, 04:52 AM
FWIW
I am buing a cargo van in about a week and want to put in a 3rd seat for when I use the van as a family roadtrip van. So when and if anyone comes up with a safe solution please keep me in the loop.
Thanks - Jim

Jim, the easiest/safest would be to use the seats that go into the Sprinter. They are readily available from ebay or members in this forum and they have integrated shoulder belts.

One of the reasons I chose the Sprinter is because when I remove the seats, the seatbelts are not left hanging in the van. Plus, it comes with headrests unlike the seats in domestic vans (except the Astro/Safari seats).

Seek

Altered Sprinter
06-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Regs for US seating options with fixed floor belts, or fixed seats.
Headliner side protection metal must be covered cargo barrier behind last row of seats if used as a cargo van notify insurance and have approval by local DOT for certification
Fed regs state by state same but vary
Richard

duke999s999
04-07-2008, 03:41 PM
does anyone got any pictures of a 3rd seat? Im also looking to install a 3rd seat need ideas. Maybe behind the passenger seat.

hkpierce
04-07-2008, 06:58 PM
does anyone got any pictures of a 3rd seat? Im also looking to install a 3rd seat need ideas. Maybe behind the passenger seat.

I have posted several. Search for seat.