Locking differentials anyone?

motobro

Has anyone installed a locking differential or posi? what kind of diff. comes in these things ? I have a 2008 2500 and would like to make vehicle a little more off road ready ie; mud and snow, dirt roads etc. nothing very serious. Thanks in advance.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I've seen some for the T1N, but I imagine it's going to be impossible to source something for your axle.

With that said, have you tried driving it offroad? I have read that it does fairly well offroad when you turn off the ASR.

72chevy4x4

I'm new to sprinters, but with the traction control system, wouldn't it behave well in mildly slippery conditions (wet/snow)? doesn't it effectivly act like a posi unit in that the spinning wheel is stopped and the non-spinning wheel is allowed to rotate?

My experience on sand roads in upper Michigan and snow and ice in western NY has been that at slower speeds you're very likely to get stuck with the ASR on. My 2004 seems to do better with the ASR off at slow speeds in slippery conditions, but I'm quite certain it helps maintain control once you're rolling along over 15 mph or so. YMMV. AP/vic

bladerunner

I've seen some for the T1N, but I imagine it's going to be impossible to source something for your axle.

With that said, have you tried driving it offroad? I have read that it does fairly well offroad when you turn off the ASR.

Hi Sikwan.............you don't happen to have anymore info/sources for theT1N diff locks?

:cheers:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
And it comes back to a converted 4x4 at a huge cost and it still needs a ARB air-locker to prevent the lose rim from spinning,if you want serious off-road 4x4 capability.
Richard
airLockerKit.jpg

Eric Experience

Motobro.
I fitted a diff lock using MB parts for the lock but I made my own actuator, if you pull out your left axle and find it has the second spline already machined just buy the locking sleeve that fits the spline and the diff centre with the dog teeth on the end. You then make up a tube with a tab on the end to engage it. Simple engineering stuff. Eric.

scubanw3

Ahhh…simple engineering…for the most part, yes! But remember, the NAFTA Sprinters are different from the World Sprinters. This is a project that we have been working on. I’ve not seen a NAFTA left axle that has the spline that you are referring to.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

qualityair

'09 144" Cargo
Ahhh…simple engineering…for the most part, yes! But remember, the NAFTA Sprinters are different from the World Sprinters. This is a project that we have been working on. I’ve not seen a NAFTA left axle that has the spline that you are referring to.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846
If you ordered a left axle shaft from Chris in England, you could use it as a pattern for a machinist to copy. Have five made up and use a core charge to receive another "blank" from your customer. :2cents:

Top Bottom